Years ago

NH - Xbox 360, Wii or PS3?

What do people think would be the best to buy eventually (when all these consoles are finally out)? -

Xbox 360, by Microsoft ($649.95 Full System, $499.95 Core System)

Wii, by Nintendo (expected prices unknown)

PlayStation 3, by Sony ($999 Premium, $829 Basic)

Personally, I was leaning towards a Basic model of the PlayStation 3, which is supposed to be released in Australia on November 17.

What do others think?

Topic #7862 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Definitely either the Xbox 360 or the Wii. PlayStation 3 is getting nothing but bad press.

Reply #87996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

once you have a modded xbox you will never go back. ps2 and the like is NOTHING in comparison. ask someone with a modded xbox to demo for you and you will understand.

Reply #87997 | Report this post

Years ago

What's this bad press for PS3 you speak of Isaac? Sorry, I'm pretty uninformed on gaming news

Reply #87998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its getting delays etc from blu-ray they have dropped a whole bunch of output and input ports that the showed at E3 the year prior. I just got a 360 as the xbox broke on the weekend, have not used it much but it seems pretty cool. Really i dont think you can go wrong this generation, as much as they talk up each system by bet is they are pretty close and once again you just have to find with exclusive titles you like.

Reply #88002 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Overpriced, running late, grumbling from developers, etc. $999 is incredible.

I agree with 87997.

Whatever you buy, give it a shot first yourself (shop, friend's house, etc), and don't buy into hype from any console. Even listening to me, you're putting trust in my opinion on the matter.

I have got a lot of use out of my original Xbox (games, movies, whatever) but you might have other needs, prefer specific games or whatever. e.g., the Wii controller looks really interesting, but I wouldn't buy one without trying it first-hand to make sure that it wasn't a gimmick.

Reply #88003 | Report this post

Years ago

Really I'm just hanging out for NBA Live '07, Madden NFL '07 and MLB 2K7. I'm not into stuff like driving games or role-playing or shooting, just sports games mainly

Reply #88005 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure if they come out for the Wii. Just go with whatever's cheapest then perhaps.

Movies? Music?

Reply #88006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you know you should get 2k7! stay away from EA :-)

Reply #88007 | Report this post

Years ago

I liked the NBA Live series better personally. I'm only really looking to play games with the system. I usually use my PC for movies and music

Reply #88008 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Stay away from EA??????
who is talking this talk???
NBA Live all the way...

Reply #88013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just want to play pacman or space invaders - which one is best?

Reply #88018 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

river raid is better than both...

Reply #88020 | Report this post

I will buy a PS3 when the price comes down. a lot. The games are just better. The xbox will always be more powerful, but what great games did it have? Like Halo, and that's it. For now i'll stick to PC games (Diablo 2, big game)

Reply #88023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PS3 for me, everyone who says it is overpriced doesnt realise it is blu-ray. Blu-ray dvd players are probably going to come out at about $1000US (well the samsung one is) so for $999 you get a playstation built in as well. I will not be going out and buying one for a while but once they get down to a reasonable price PS3 will be what I will be looking at.

Has the xbox 360 got HDMI outputs?

Reply #88028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no

Reply #88031 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

88018, modded Xbox can emulate SNES, PSX and loads of arcade games. ;)

Xbox 360 HDMI Cable

But yes, you wouldn't want to buy anything until prices come down. And the PC is superior for certain games like BFII and other FPS, RTS, etc.

Reply #88035 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

"river raid is better than both..."

I prefer Frogger actually..

Reply #88038 | Report this post

Years ago

What is Blu-Ray? Is it some technology that's years away from becoming mainstream?

Reply #88040 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Here is blu-ray information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu_ray

Without sounds like a tosser (for a change) blu-ray utilies a shorter wavelength compared to DVD or CD, hence more storage space on a disc.

Sony has announced that the PlayStation 3 will be shipped with a 2x Blu-ray drive, likely read-only as for most game console optical drives. According to Sony's press releases, it will support DVD(8x), CD(24x).

Reply #88045 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are the two upcoming formats for higher density DVD (similar to DVD-RAM/DVD-ROM and VHS/Beta and so on). Industry players are lining up behind one or the other.

3, in your case, unless developers make full use of the space available (not always likely - plus even if you have 50GB for high-res textures, you don't have the processing power to use them) or you want to watch high-definition movies, it's not going to be that big a deal.

You can't really win in siding with one or the other. While both have some solid electronics pioneers (Philips, Samsung, Panasonic, Pioneer vs Toshiba, NEC, etc), they both also have the interest of DRM fiends (e.g., Microsoft) and big labels (Warner Bros, Universal, Paramount, Fox, Walt Disney, etc) who are all out to make your life (legal or illegal) hell.

Both will have DRM, both will be expensive initially and either could become the "next Beta" (e.g., a superior format that failed in the light of a more popular alternative).

Blu-Ray seems to have regained ground and could be the superior choice between the two, but in my opinion it's too early to be making bets either way.

Reply #88053 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:09 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754