Years ago

NH - Zidane's brain explosion

Zinédine Zidane was today named the Most Valuable Player of the 2006 World Cup. His great play in this tournament and in countless other big games will forever be overshadowed hovever by his headbutt in the 110th minute in yesterday's final against Italy.

Zidane reacted when Italian defender Marco Materazzi (allegedly) made such comments as "Hold on, wait, that one's not for a nigger like you.", "We all know you are the son of a terrorist whore." Then, just before the headbutt, he was seen saying "So just fuck off." Zidane is of Kabyle Algerian decent, so he obviously would have taken offense to these comments.

Zidane has had a few incident over the years where he has reacted when his buttons are pushed, but was this brain explosion justified, or should he have just "copped it on the chin" and moved on?

Topic #7873 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

Materazzi got of lightly... He's happy to flap his mouth but he acts like a pussy when it comes back with interest.

At least Zidane didn't do a Eric Cantona.

Reply #88129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That head butt would not even knock Darren Ng off his feet. That was the biggest flop of the tournament I think!

I don't mind soccer, but I just can't stand the way they roll around on the ground so they get a free kick, and then all of a sudden jump up and run around like nothing happened. I noticed the aussies did it the least, they still did it, but no where near as much as the Europeans!

Reply #88138 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Did Zidane's exit remind anyone else of Ray Gordon's last match in the NBL?

Nothing like going out with a random act of violence!!

Reply #88151 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

in aussie rules you'd get in so much trouble for that, but becuase its soccer he gets away with the racism? how does that work. Stupid to react like that though from Zidane, surely he's heard it all before.

Reply #88155 | Report this post

Years ago

The lasest -

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=373723&cc=3436

----------------

Materazzi admits he insulted Zidane before head butt

MILAN, Italy (ESPNSoccernet.com news services) -- Marco Materazzi acknowledged he insulted Zinedine Zidane before the French captain head-butted him in the World Cup final, but repeated his denial that he called Zidane a "terrorist."

"I did insult him, it's true," Materazzi said in Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport. "But I categorically did not call him a terrorist. I'm not cultured and I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is."

A Paris-based anti-racism group issued a statement Monday saying Materazzi had called Zidane, whose parents emigrated to France from Algeria, a "dirty terrorist."

FIFA announced Tuesday it would open a disciplinary investigation into the circumstances of Zidane's head butt.

"FIFA will open a disciplinary investigation into Zidane's conduct to enable it to clarify the circumstances surrounding the incident as exactly as possible," world soccer's governing body said in a statement.

Zidane and Materazzi exchanged words in extra-time of Sunday's final in Berlin. Seconds later, Zidane lowered his head and rammed Materazzi in the chest, knocking him to the ground. Zidane was ejected from the match.

"I held his shirt for a few seconds only, then he turned round and spoke to me, sneering," the Italian defender told the newspaper. "He looked me up and down, arrogantly and said: 'If you really want my shirt, I'll give it to you afterwards.'"

The 32-year-old Inter Milan player did not elaborate on exactly what he said to Zidane.
"It was one of those insults you're told tens of times and that always fly around the pitch," he said.

-----------------

I find this part especially rediculous:

"I did insult him, it's true," Materazzi said in Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport. "But I categorically did not call him a terrorist. I'm not cultured and I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is."

Surely someone who is an international footballer can't be that ignorant regarding international affairs.

Reply #88159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as if the head putt was huge it got him good materazzi wasn't even looking at Zidane when he did it he had no idea it was coming, and even before the ref ghad sent him off he was undoing his captaincy thing on his arm!

Reply #88186 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:14 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754