Hoop Addict
Years ago

U18 Nationals - Todays scenarios

Today's games with top 4 implications + SA Games :

Pool A Women :

QLDS are through. If SA Country win, or lose by 3 or less, they will go through. If Vic Country beat them by 4 or more, NSWC will go through. The SAC vs VICC game is on at 2pm.

Pool B Women :

Let's assume NSWM will beat QLDN (on at 8:30am so we'll know soon enough!), that will put them through top of their pool. Both SA Metro & Vic Metro are on 1 loss, so the winner of their game (9pm tonight) will progress to play a pretty beatable QLDS in the semi. I don't think Vic Metro are particularly good (NSWM beat them 77-42 yesterday), so here's hoping our girls shoot well & get the win. This would mean no Vic's in the top 4 if we can pull it off.

Pool A Men :

This should be NSWM & WAM progressing, but if VICM beat NSWM (on at 4:15pm) by 15 or more, then VICM & WAM will progress. Unlikely to happen, IMO. SA Country are definites for the 13/14 playoff.

Pool B Men :

This one is set with the 3 way tie going to NSWC & VICC with Tassie missing out. The only way this can change is if SAM beat NSWC or QLDS beat VICC, both of which are unlikely. SA Metro boys will finish 5th in their pool and playoff for 9-12.

Topic #7893 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone who works at the tourny provide us with shot charts for the various teams.

I've seen a few games, and Vic Metro seem to take all their shots under the basket, where-as other teams, (WA Metro), have some inside and some outside shots.

Is anyone able to provide shot charts?

Reply #88322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Womens SA Country to win!!!!!

Reply #88325 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Update :

NSWM women accounted for QLDN this morning, while SAM women had an easy win over NT, resting some key starters along the way. In a near-upset, Vic Metro have managed to escape the Tasmanian's, 61-59.

There has been an upset on the men's side of the draw though, with QLD South defeating Vic Country, and thus allowing Tasmania & NSWC to progress to the top 4, assuming results go on current form and NSWC beat SA Metro & Tassie get past NT.

This means there is a possibility of having no Victoria teams (Metro or Country) in the top 4 of either the boys or girls. Wow!

You can follow today's results on the BA Website

Reply #88351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no vic's is a shock however, the SA Metro & Country boys will be ranked lower than them. Abysmal performance from them.

Reply #88398 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

#88325,

You won't be getting your wish - SAC lost to Vic C by 14. NSWC will progress with QLD South from that pool, SAC now will play off for 5-8.

SA Metro girls beating Vic Metro tonight is now SA's only hope of getting a top 4 side.

Reply #88405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

unless you read botys pathetic bit about state the metro 18 girls are already out. Way to put down your state. Thats what we need a sa journalist putting down their juniors. Great article

Reply #88424 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Got a link to the article?

Reply #88438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti has it all wrong. Now that Vic had ZERO teams in the top 4 in both men's and women's at Under 18's maybe they need to combine their Metro and Country teams in order to stay competitive.

Numbers only gets you so far. It's what you do with those numbers which makes you succeed at the national level. It's no coincidence that the two states with the biggest issues with their programs (VIC and SA) are struggling while NSW in particular and also WA and QLD who have better structures for the elite teams and better development programs in place are the ones getting the results.

I think you'll find Vic will scrap their 20 team Championship grade within 18 months due to their standing nationally of late but can we say the same of SA? Will we too realise our system isn't working and change it?

I for one hope so ... And no combining Metro and Country is not the answer Boti, once again you've got it all wrong.

Reply #88450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

go damo cant hear all those knockers now. Proof is in the pudding and what a way to prove it. Good on ya mate way to shove it up em. Cant argue they have done a great job this time and put this with the silver last year i for one am glad he doesnt listen to those sour grapes morons and keeps on coaching. Way to go buddy.

Reply #88453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe Vic Metro were plagued by poor decisions at the Selection Table with a number of key players not selected for reasons only known to the coaching staff. i know Pat Hunt was perplexed by some of the selection decisions. Year to year you will find some states with stronger groups than other and i point to WA Metro 16 Boys compared to their 18s although i do agree that NSW Metro and Country look like they have got their act together and they have strong programmes in place. Dont be too down on the SA Boys because stronger groups will come through in the near future.

Reply #88454 | Report this post

DAMO  
Years ago

Thanks Mum.

Reply #88462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't agree with you more. Not only did Boti get it wrong regarding the 18 Girls making top 4. But he also has the reasons behind the lack of success wrong. Look at the results of Tasmania and the growth and development of NSW, especially Metro. Both of these programs are not the size of VIC Metro basketball but they have worked harder and smarter the "old dominant" Vic and SA programs.

Having more players to choose from is not the answer becasue often a kid who doesn't play much in U/16's will develop and gather invaluable experince sitting on the bench. If you combine the teams these kids will miss out. Under that theory it is pointless having NT, WAC and ACT to even play at the tournament because most years they are not competitive.

What NSW, QLD and Tas to an extent have done is decrease the size of their competition to 8 teams at the elite level so that the best play against the best.

I guarentee that we will see the VIC Metro competition go back to a 12 team competition from their useless 20 team format which has lead to their decrease in results.

The major thing holding back SA again is the lack of competition from some clubs. 8 teams in Div 1 is the only way to go. If somebody can come up with a format that will improve all our problems + make us more competitive on a National level put up or Shut up.

Reply #88473 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

A two time champion state coach once said to me that in his championship years the local comp had 3 or 4 teams that were equally strong, well coached, and at each other's throats. That competetive environment is what will make us more successful (and is probably why Vic has struggled)
IMO in preparing teams for Classics the thing that is most important was to give the kids an understanding for the ruthless competitiveness of the top Vic clubs. The dilution of this has IMO lead to their downfall.

Reply #88477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i know it would mean a lot of re-arranging, but would a relagation system work?? very much like the amatuer football league. And only have 8 teams in each div - 4 in and 4 out of finals.

It doesn't matter if they are the same clubs or not - ie
Forestville finish 3rd in u18 div1 and top in div2 - then the div2 side becomes Forestville 2 in Div1 leaving the bottom placed team to go to div2 for a season. Brings more competition at the div1 and reserve junior grades.

This could even be done throughout the divisions if you wish to say div3 juniors should be included as for div4-6 i'm not so sure about that even being classed as district basketball, but maybe being split into areas (ie Norwood, North, Centrals) and they play one night a week at one of the stadiums on a social level. Only coming together at the end of the season for social ball finals at a central location. This will stop parents complaining about petrol costs for kids who just want to play for fun.

Reply #88488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The above can also be carried into selection for state champs (state and reserves) - it will also give those clubs such as the Magic a chance to showcase their ability.

So many times you see fairytale stories of clubs that come to the amatuer footy league and are placed in div7-8 and over 5 years showcase their talent and end up promoting to div3 or higher in years to come.

BRING IT ON!!

Reply #88489 | Report this post

rabbit  
Years ago

I too think having a 8 team competition for division 1 has some merits, but the practicality of it happening is much more difficult.
What about if an under 16 South team gets relegated to division 2 at the end of the winter season, but the team for the next season is much stronger, and still has to play division 2, and all those juniors development is affected.
hope that makes sense. Maybe a 3 or 4 week grading period, or even using the summer season as a grading period for the 8 team winter season.

Reply #88497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #88510 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

A summer grading season makes sense. Within 4 weeks you get a clear enough idea of who's where, but for those that are feeling vulnerable a full round o 9 games before Xmas where e'one plays each other once will be absolutely certain.
It's my experience at U12 or U14 level that the top 1-2 teams in Div 2 will beat all but the top 4 teams in Div 1.

Reply #88511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go look at Pro/rel model

Reply #88516 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Agree with you Sector 7G.
Just the mechanism to achieve this, needs some work.

Reply #88576 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Huge upset with NSWC defeating NSWM by 5 in O/T. Alex Gynes going off for 40 and 12.

Reply #88583 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Is it just me or do SA have the best refs? I suppose it's just what you are used to.

Reply #88584 | Report this post

aussiecamp  
Years ago

which mens players will make the Aussie Camp?

My Picks Aussie Camp
Gliddon (WAC)
White (ACT)
Witt (TAS)
Armour (WAM)
Ellis (WAM)
Masunda (TAS)
Gynes (NSWC)
Quinn (NSWC)
Duinker (NSWM)
Collier (VICC)
Arnott (VICM)
Goodall (NSWC)
Ford (WAM)
New (ACT)

have i missed anyone?

Reply #88736 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

What about Nate Tomlinson and Ben Wetherbee from NSWM?

Duinker sucks in my opinion.

Reply #88737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just a heads up to all of you out there who are shaking your head at the SAC boys performance at the recent nationals - they were struck by a plague of sickness that affected 3 of the players, as well as losing one of their players due to injury. Although it wasn't a great result for the boys, I thought they played with courage. Congrats

Reply #88997 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

I thought that Duinker was not used to full effect, especially by their starting guards. Way too many inappropriate shots. I did like Wetherbee, Cinelli and Smiths D was great, just not an offensive threat.

Reply #89000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumours have it that there is not going to be an all australian camp does anyone know anything about this?

Reply #89026 | Report this post

Tas  
Years ago

yep no camp, because of the emus

Reply #89050 | Report this post

Tas  
Years ago

what about radcliff from tas for all aus

Reply #89056 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:40 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754