Isaac
Years ago

NZ vs Boomers, Game 2 (spoiler)

NZ win at home, 72-53. Biggest loss ever for the Boomers to NZ.

The height advantage of NBA-experienced centres Andrew Bogut and Chris Anstey did not benefit the Aussies as much on Friday night, with guard Sam Mackinnon top scoring for Australia with 13 points. 21-year-old Brad Newley was next best with 11 points, while Bogut bagged nine. Anstey, who top scored with 24 in Australia's 81-79 overtime win in the series opener at the same venue on Wednesday, was held to just four points.
- basketball.net.au
Held to 53 points. Bogut in single figures, Anstey with just 4 points. And I believe that Kirk Penney who had 17 points in Game 1, didn't even play for the Tall Blacks. Ouch.

Haven't seen this game, but it looked like NZ were just playing more as a team than the Boomers in Game 1.

Here's the boxscore

The three Kings players went 0-12 FG (plus 0-0 from Hinder). Oops.

Topic #7913 | Report this topic

hurley  
Years ago

Boomers in the first half looked more of a team offensively, but probably werent expecting the tall blacks to go inside so fearlessly.... hence rupturing the defence and leaving the outside open to Jones. There were some nice offence plays in the first half by the boomers.... but i think this will be a real reality check for a team with alot of potential, but is yet to gel.

Reply #88609 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Will they gel though?

We lost by almost 20 to a team missing their main NBA prospect (Penney was on the extended bench for an NBA team).

Got beaten on the boards, despite having two very good big men with decent support, up against guys like Rampton, Frank and Bradshaw.

On paper we have the talent, but don't seem to be playing as a team so far.

Reply #88613 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Well, when teams have talent and don't play well, blame usually rests on the coach, or a couple of main individuals affecting the team negatively.

Shame games aren't played on paper.... Although, if they were, US would never lose to teams like say, Argentina?

Reply #88617 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Just checked the box, NZ did a good job of getting Jones 16 looks at 3PT, considering he hit 8. Surely Boomers defence wasn't that bad, just great ball movement and penetration and pitching?

16/50 FG, 4/23 3PT and 17/26 FT is just not good enough at international level. Well, any level above U/14's really.

When you shoot that badly you expect opposition to win the boards since there was more to get on the defence end.

Another disappointing stat from that boxscore is the ONLY Centre NZ listed played 11:28, no field goals but 6/6 from FT.

Boomers got beaten by 5 Guards, 6 Forwards and one Centre.

Reply #88618 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There's a lengthy and interesting post on the OzHoops boards from someone familiar with the offense being used by Goorjian who wonders if they're just not relying on making jumpshots too much?

Someone more in the know who's watched Game 2 care to comment?

As I said on OzHoops, we had 36 points (53-17 FT) from the field in the entire game. Most ABL womens teams comfortably beat that in the same 40 minute duration.

Reply #88619 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Isaac, read Ken Richardson's post under the Phil Jones thread? Maybe move it to here?

Reply #88621 | Report this post

gospel  
Years ago

was on fox today - NZ stroking 3s everywhere - australia very much denied the feed into the paint from what i saw

Reply #88622 | Report this post

gospel  
Years ago

gotta love the commentator !

Reply #88623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No flow by the Aussies at all! NZ shot well, usually without much defensive pressure (how can you leave Jones wide open at the 3 point line when he had already hit a few????). I also think that Jason Smith failing to hit a shot from the field is a significant aspect...as well as no truly reliable guard....as well as Bogut and Anstey left off for lengthy periods later in the game (when we could have got back into it..as well as no team cohesio...as well as...need I go on??

Reply #88626 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

I thinkaustralia needs to keep Newley and Mackinnon Penitrating, get teams fouling.

Reply #88628 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

I thinkaustralia needs to keep Newley and Mackinnon Penitrating, get teams fouling.

Reply #88629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rudderless - Kendall woeful again

Reply #88642 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

Said it on the "I Hate Brian" thread. Caoch Tad Baldwin is an absolute champ as a coach.

Coach Goorj running the Sydney Kings game and using Kings players as they "know the offence" is starting to dent his reputation I believe.

Reply #88722 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:11 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754