Matt Ryan
Years ago

WHAT'S HOT / NOT UNDER 18 NATIONALS

WHAT'S HOT:

The crowd support during the Semi-Final between NSW Metro vs Country

WA Metro making the final and almost pulling off the win

The Forestville Basketball Club volunteers who drove the buses to pick up and drop off referees

Victoria not contesting a Gold Medal or Bronze Medal game

The Giant Killers: Tasmania boys and WA Metro boys

WHAT'S NOT:

No Forestville BBQ

Sirens not loud enough

Scoreboard on Court 2 reading 0.1 at the end of the period

Topic #7922 | Report this topic

Sam  
Years ago

Whats Not.

Matt Ryans umpiring ability!

Reply #88682 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Sam, who are you?
I don't have a problem with yuo having a go at me, just be big enough to back it up!
I don't think I saw you umpiring at the Under 18 Nationals!

Another WHAT'S HOT:

The NZ boys leading their own cheer during the 18 boys Grand Final!

Reply #88684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NOT: NZ boys bench chanting DEFENSE for themselves..very intimidating

Reply #88687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHAT'S NOT:

Vic Metro receiving the Fairplay Award after telling a referee that they were "a turkey" and "the worst ref there"!

Reply #88690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of the Refs who got the Gold medals in the boys and girls.
And how did the SA refs rate????

Reply #88695 | Report this post

Tyson  
Years ago

What's Hot !!!

Well, it was a very good standard of games and great to see a few of the States do very, very well in making the medal rounds. Great job to David Munns and the Tassie teams, especially great to see that the impact some bottom age boys and girls had on the tournament.

NSW Country boys doing awesome to win without Goodall, Gynes - excellent effort, coach awesome effort.

What's Not !!!!

The absolute rediculous amount of anti Vic Metro feeling on this forum when it should be noted that other teams did a great job.

Big Deal, Vic Metro doesn't medal and has a down tournament. Will the feeling change if there is a run of NSW Country Champions.

The focus should be on how well other teams did, SA Country women getting Vic Metro, Tassie women just getting pipped by 2 - when did that happen last ?

The great play of the NSW Metro team running great offense and the difference in the teams from 16's in Perth .

The efoort of Gynes and co. winning without Goodall, The Tassie Mens team in Semi's after topping their pool.

I understand that people do not like Vic Metro due to their " perceived arrogance " or the fact that they win, well maybe the tide has turned because the in the 16 mens in Ballarat, NSW Metro was very arrogant ( Coaches ) players were awesome. Will they be judged ? Fact is , players have worked on their game and coaches have got better at selecting from what I see. Who cares that the Vics were not that good, how about how good everyone else was.

Good for Oz basketball.

Reply #88708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHAT'S HOT:

Matt Ryan's "Moonwalk Charge"!

Reply #88712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt please quit posting about yourself!!

Reply #88714 | Report this post

ghost of wayville  
Years ago

that scoreboard at wayville has been registering 0.1 for ages - it was on court 1 before - until a buzzer beater shot situation occurred with 0.1 left a few seasons ago - the sirens are way too quiet - they do have a tone control - did you know that?

Reply #88716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats not:
I'm always loathe to bag hard-working volunteers but what was going on with the scorebenches?
24 second clock constantly reset when it shouldn't be.
Possession arrow being forgotten to be alternated.
Incorrect foul counts on players being shown.
Time being run off the clock after play had been stopped by the whistle etc.
And unfortunately, just a cross section of what constantly happened over the week, not just talking about an individual game.

Reply #88719 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

WHAT'S NOT:

12 referees getting stuck in the hotel elevator on the very first night in the hotel!

Reply #88724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that how u got to ref Matt at the 18's. Couldn't get them others out in time.

Reply #88734 | Report this post

amaaazing  
Years ago

when you use volunteers - you have to take what you get

i am sure they give it their best

if you want professional systems - pay some more $ and the benchmark wil be lifted

Reply #88735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair point amaaazing, but some of these experienced volunteers who have done a very good job for a lot of years must have had brain explosions because the quality was very poor.

Reply #88738 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Nope, I was one of the 12 stuck in the elevator for 30 minutes!

WHAT'S NOT:

The Gold Medal Women's game being played at 1:15pm due to some players having to fly out to play with the Gems. Not saying that there is anything wrong with it, just that it didn't have the same feel as being the second to last game of the day!

Reply #88739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps you should stop your whinging anonymous and stick your hand up and volunteer as well.

Every club needs more scoretable or statisticians. But then, for people like you, it's easier to sit behind an anonymous name and bleat about an occasional error (and have you considered how many errors versus correct decisions have been made - I bet i would work out to less than .01% error rate!!), rather than get out there, do the training and actually help out a club!

Reply #88742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you re-read the post fellow anonymous I wasn't whinging just making an observation.
I was actually very surprised about some of the mistakes because as you will observe if you re-read my post you will see I commented about people who HAVE done a very good job for a lot of years.
Seems that I may have struck a nerve very close to the action?
And as for your 'people like you' comment, you have no idea who or what sort of person I am , or I you for that matter so think first before your emotions get the better of you again.

Reply #88745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So your position is these people who have tirelessy given lots of hours of THEIR OWN TIME at THEIR OWN COST, you now question them because of 1 or 2 mistakes they may have made.

Volunteers in sport, from referees, to scoretable officials, to statisticians, to the people who run games behind the scenes, read shit posts like your own and decide that it's just not worth the effort.

Perhaps you would be interested to know that some of these volunteers who you have decided to anonymously call to question, next ABL season will be asked to travel to their clubs away games, with NO reimbursement. Pity help any Tigers volunteers requested to travel to do a Starplex game.

Perhaps it would have been better for you to put

HOT

The volunteers who manned the scoretables, canteens, floor mops, runners, newsletter production, stats for a job well done, with an occasional error.

Dont you think that would have been a better way to put it?

Reply #88746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#88746)

Agreed 100%

Reply #88751 | Report this post

Andrew Lea  
Years ago

WHAT'S NOT:
People bagging volunteers.
I officiated at 15 games during the Championships and also saw a few others games too. For the most part, I thought the overall standard of scoretable and statisticians was very good. It is extremely hard to find volunteers and given the number of games there were and how many people are required to officiate each game, just finding enought people to covered all the jobs is hard enough.
Fair enough there were a few errors, which is going to happen because we are all 'human', some of the equipment is not perfect etc...
Everyone is out there trying to do their best. I am sure the shot clock was not "constantly" being reset in error. Perhaps you just don't know when the clock is supposed to be reset.

I am proud to be part of the scroretable group and I think there should be more praise for the great job - on the whole - that scoretable and stats do at all levels of the sport as well as at the Championships!

Reply #88762 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

I agree with Andrew Lea on a job well done,I too officiated 15 games during the week. I did forget to change the arrow on one game. I'm human. but the Refs were both aware of what the arrow should have been - the right team was given the ball.

WHATS HOT
The team work between scoretables and stats.

The hard work done by the STOP committee in getting everyone there and to Judy Smith for her organisational abilty.

For Forestville, for the heaters, and the coffee and food supplied to all the volunteers well done.

To the players and coaches who gave us good games to watch and to officiate.

Whats Not

and the cold weather it was freezing some nights!

Reply #88763 | Report this post

Andrew Lea  
Years ago

Well said Lyn.

I also forgot to change the arrow once, but likewise, the refs knew what it was supposed to be as soon as they called the jump ball. We fixed the issue and no-one was disadvantaged.

Congratulations to Judy Smith - she did a fantastic job of organising everyone.

I would also like to thank Forestville for looking after us - the heaters were a very welcome addition to scorebench equipment!!!

Reply #88779 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

WHAT'S HOT:

Referees and their nicknames!

Reply #88787 | Report this post

Great Breath  
Years ago

What's not.
Matt Ryan placing his "Gum Bitch duties" on hold for the week.

Reply #88791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do tell Matt, i'm sure it'd make for some fun reading...

Reply #88793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what was Dave Farmers nickname??

Reply #88797 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

David Farmers nickname was "Farmers". However, he did have a more risque nickname which cannot be reproduced on this forum.

Also, "Great Breath", I do believe that I did infact perform my "Gum Bitch" Duties. I handed out the gum before the first meeting and before an evaluation!

WHAT'S HOT:
Those gas heaters behind the stand near Court 2!

WHAT'S NOT:
If 12 refs climbing into an elevator was bad, imagine what it was like getting 28 referees and their bags into the Officials' Room at Wayville!

Reply #88799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i can only imagine...

Reply #88800 | Report this post

Albury Vetran  
Years ago

Good job to all the refs score and stats guys. Many hours spend with not much reward.

BUT GREAT JOB TO ALL

And Matt was well kinda like every Nationals he's been to, claiming he's a "Vetran" and at the end gets nothing..

Reply #88814 | Report this post

Tas  
Years ago

Albury did u watch any of the finals with the refs. seriously they were poor. espesially in finals
BBQ wasn't great while playing made ya feel sick.
Tassie girls also got stuck on the same elevator. Stats are score table was supurb.
#88719 u sound like a WA Met. and yes the time in the final wasn't great but its not the NBA.
Goodall had 2 good games, who said he wouldn't choke in final like he has done in the past. (Illawarra)
Tassie top 4. first time in 20 years. and first ever top of their pool.

Reply #88825 | Report this post

Tas  
Years ago

Tassie will repeat next year, Top 4
WHATS HOT:
Paul Prior (President of Forestville) what a legend.
Vic's sour at the airport. Best thing I have ever seen.
I think the vics are going down hill last year the mens went 3 and 4.Now 5 and 6.
David Munns only does ITCP not state mens. Chris Symons and Adrian Giusti (pooey) should coach again.
WHATS NOT:

Vics haha how long has it been since the boys and girls didnt make top 4.
Tyson: what did perth have 2 do with this year and NSW Met.
Umpiring for finals.
Tassie women got screwed against Vic women

Reply #88829 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I would also like to comment on the superb work done by stats and scoretable officials, as well as the refs.

Some of the stats staff alone were experiencing a tournament of this magnitude for the first time, and did an outstanding job.

A big WHATS HOT to Barry Haydon from Forestville, and Terry JOnes the State Stats co-ordinator for their rostering and personnel management, and Paul Gorton from Tigers for giving us an incredibly good computer network to work on!

A HUGE WHATS HOT to the Forestville volunteers who kept all the officials fed and watered with some very nice food, drinks and soup...and those heaters...wow!

A MASSIVE WHATS NOT to people who bag the volunteers who make these tournaments possible....time to look outside your incredibly small square!

Reply #88856 | Report this post

Tyson  
Years ago

Tas,

The difference between the teams in Perth and this year is most of those NSW kids both Metro and Country played in Perth and were beaten by the Vics, this year showed how much work they have done on selections of coaches, players on their games, and how they have worked on Body strength.

Vics have a down year alright, beware of speaking too early, things will be dealt with swiftly in the land of the Vics.

Work hard or do not show to try outs, coaches, work harder or do not bother applying.

David Munns does ITC , I know that but surley he has something to do with the work that the boys have put in over the past few years, wether it be with the coaches or players.

Roll on Nationals for the next two years and see if things are still the same.

Reply #88859 | Report this post

CJ  
Years ago

David Munns....yeah he has done alot for tas basketball
lets start with the positives....he has tought them how to screen, cut and hmm yeah run too.....
negatives...driven players away from tassie programmes, tries to intervene when not wanted and the list goes on...good bloke, heart in the right place as far as i know but gees nothing to do with this years team....all credit to Chris Symmons, and that pooey guy

Reply #88861 | Report this post

CJ  
Years ago

whats hot:
tas making top 4 and equalling best ever result for u18s.
crowd support for tas: even vic were behind us for the bronze game.
tas beating the champs and being the only team to do so
and finally all the support from and for the other teams (mainly the womens teams ;) )

whats not:
me baggin out david..done alot for me that man
no vic team in the top 4
tas girls trying to spoil our new bus with a fart bomb
and the tournament finishing

Reply #88864 | Report this post

Tas  
Years ago

CJ, who is it lol cause it would only be one of the team that new bout the fart bomb

Reply #88865 | Report this post

Tas  
Years ago

Tyson im only first year so i will be in Launie nxt. Vic are on the downer, even though thing are going good in U/16s. Football is taking them away.
Take about working, tassie went from 10th to 4th, thats a lot of work.

Reply #88866 | Report this post

Tyson  
Years ago

You are right Tas,

The tassie groups have done a great job for this year. I personally know Scotty Knight and he is a very good supporter of Tassie B Ball.

I hope to be in Tassie for the 18's maybe coaching, who knows, but either way, things will change in a few States and Vic and SA and WA are some that will need to pick up their game. WA men have been doing well in 16's and 18's ( Getting to the medal rounds ) What about the girls, ? SA Men can do better, girls were good . Vics, goes without saying, like I said before, Things will be dealt with in Vic and see what happens over the next few yrs.

Reply #88873 | Report this post

Tas  
Years ago

Yes true, i think football has something to do with it. Scotty Knight is one of my coaches for Mens and Juniors

Reply #88888 | Report this post

Johnny Comelately  
Years ago

WHAT'S NOT:

Expensive beers along North Tce!

Reply #88910 | Report this post

WHAT'S NOT:
Nathan Durant singing along with the National Anthem during the Opening Ceremony

WHAT'S HOT:
Matt Ryan singing the Adam Hills version of the National Anthem ("Working Class Anthem") during the Closing Ceremony

WHAT'S HOT:
Paul (or is that 'Peter') Welbourn (or is that 'Welbourne') not stuffing up the Referees' Oath!

Reply #88919 | Report this post

RM  
Years ago

i challenge Matt Ryan to go five seconds on this forum without changing name and posting about himself .

Reply #88920 | Report this post

Adam Copeland  
Years ago

WHAT'S NOT:
A spectator from WA COUNTRY throwing one of those "whistles" (like party whistles) onto the court after a referee's call! This is not on!

Reply #88926 | Report this post

CJ  
Years ago

im pretty sure one of our tassie players got hit with one of those "whistles" as well

Reply #88998 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

WHAT'S HOT:
Forestville Court Sweepers - I umpired at Wayville tonight and realised just how lucky we were to have the court sweepers! Thanks once again!

WHAT'S NOT:
Neal Bridgeman missing out on the perfect opportunity to employ a "SHOWERS" gesture!

Reply #89183 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

I don't know Matt but the two referees who got the men's final performed poorly all week. Who ever picked them needs to join the Vic and SA coaches on the outer

Reply #89410 | Report this post

SA  
Years ago

If Tas has improved so much how come the Tas U18 girls and both U16 teams finished 10th?

Reply #89411 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:07 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754