Isaac
Years ago

Making money developing talent

A recent post on Mark Cuban's BlogMaverick.com - Making Money in Basketball - talks about how minor league teams should try to profit from developing talent rather than selling tickets like the NBA teams.

I wasn't sure how exactly a relationship could work in the ABL and NBL here to benefit from that thinking. Then on OzHoops, someone mentioned the possibility of the NBL allowing teams to have a third import in certain situations.

Their suggestion was that an import could be eligible to be placed as a third international player if they'd completed two years as an import at the ABL level.

It's a touchy subject (spending local club money on recruiting from elsewhere), but this all made me wonder if ABL clubs couldn't bring in some revenue or at least cover their import-costs by operating as a testing ground and showcase for imports.

So, imagine that Woodville had spent $x on bringing in Eric Bradley or Matt Elder, and then were either good enough for the NBL, the Warriors would receive a payment for having held those players through their two-year period to gain third-import eligibility.

An NBL club could snatch a player without paying the kickback if they were filling either of the first two spots, but not if they were coming in as the third.

You might see it eventuate that an NBL club would subsidise the import with an ABL club.

Obviously this is a half-baked idea and I'm sure there are issues with recruiting from abroad over local talent or flaws in processes, but I thought it might generate some interesting discussion.

Maybe even forget about the import aspect, and say that any NBL rookie has to have played with an ABL club for two years. That removes the theme of foreign players taking spots that might otherwise go to local talent.

Advantages might be that clubs can more easily pay for their senior teams, and it could improve the standard of the league a little?

Topic #7937 | Report this topic

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Do you mean a similar scheme where sanfl clubs get a once of payment when players are drafted or moved from rookie list to main 42 rotation?

I know that South got 20k when Brogan was taken by Port.

Reply #88862 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

as did the torrens when stokes , knights and vince were drafted,

rewarding the club financially for the early development of the players,

it is touchy though, eg what if a player spends X years at one club then moves to another club and after several months gets picked for the nbl,afl whatever,

which club gets the benifit ?

the club who had for prior to drafting or the club whom put in 90% of the development,

Reply #88913 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I like the idea that if a player leaves for overseas that they have to pay put their contract here.

Sixers financial position would be a lot different if they followed this through.

Bradtke
Cat
Darnell
Stiff
Farley
Rogers
others?

all would have had to buy out their sixers contract to go to Europe.

Say Rogers deal was 120k over 3 years here but his euro is 500 over one.

he gives sixers $360k and makes another $140 on top plus has anotehr 2 years to round again.

Reply #88955 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

The number of imports that stay 2 seasons with an ABL club is, at least in SA, very low. I can only think of one, being big Billy Fikes back for North some years ago.
2 years in the ABL is a long time in a basketballer's career if they're seeking to get to an elite level. By that time a lot of things can happen. But on the flip side it may encourage imports to stay in the ABL and result in a greater level of basketball at that level.
At the end of the day the ABL has to generate more profits amongst the clubs for this to be a viable option, as right now there would not be a lot of clubs out there that could pay import salary for 2 years running.

Reply #89013 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Isaac, we need the bucket of money first, before we can work out how to divide it up. The NBL would have to allocate funds to reward the competitions/clubs that provide players.

One difficulty is the strong clubs getting stronger. The AFL competition is interesting because the best players are allocated to the weakest teams through the draft. For the talent development reward to work, you need a structured process like a draft to allocate talent and pay the reward.

The financially strong ABL clubs are more likely to attract imports. The clubs enjoying on-court success may have a better run at attracting players and coaches than the battlers.

I think the ABL clubs have more of a role in developing junior talent. Handing out rewards is always a problem when players have played for more than one club. How often do you see a player spitting the dummy after a string of poor performances/lack of opportunity at one club become a champion at another? The player may even object to their previous club receiving payment.

Another thought - junior development reward - additional payment for clubs fielding players in the ABL that have never been registered to another district club. Which club would get the biggest loyalty bonus at the moment?

Reply #89025 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:50 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754