Anonymous
Years ago

Mahersy v.s. Team USA

Just came across this photo on NBA.com thought some others might enjoy it:

http://www.nba.com/media/usa_96_hill_333.jpg

Topic #7979 | Report this topic

Joe M  
Years ago

Doesn't that just typify John Dorge and Australian basketball in general?

A good shot blocking centre in the NBL but didn't even challenge a Grant Hill dunk, to quote Paul Westhead in the 1993 NBA finals "either foul him or don't foul him, just don't be a soft c**k on defence"

Reply #89330 | Report this post

Tickle  
Years ago

I want to see some photos of him raining threes on the Seppos in the first half in Athens.

...and then a photo of Boy Goorj leaving him on the bench in the fourth in favour of CJ Brutal.

Reply #89331 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Maher should of reached acrossed and squrriel gripped Sir Charles and shouted "C'mon biatch....."

and then

run for the lockeroom.....

Reply #89336 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Joe M, sorry to be picky, but I think you mean Paul Westphal. Paul Westhead wasn't overly interested in defence when he last coached in the NBA .....

Reply #89340 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Trust me... Paul Westphal wasnt either.

Reply #89347 | Report this post

Panther boy  
Years ago

Joe M it is typical of people to make a statement like you did "A good shot blocking centre in the NBL but didn't even challenge a Grant Hill dunk"
How can you tell from that photo if he was even in a position to contest the shot you dont know what happened leading into that play and where he was relative to the ball the man or anything for that matter. Its just a negative and ignorant comment.

Reply #89371 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Was that the game when Reggie Miller came out in the 2nd half and tore us apart with 3pt bombs from all over the court?

I'd love to get a recording of that game, or even a box score if anyone still has it...

Reply #89396 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Joe M, you could equally question why Maher didn't step over and take a charge? Seems like right position?

Panther boy is right, you can't tell the lead up to know what they should or could have done to stop it.

Having said that, I think players of Dorge's abilites is a thing of the past in Boomers colours.

Reply #89403 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

was this the pre Athens olympics warm up game anyone?

Reply #89597 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

DB5 - It was back at the 96 Atlanta Olympics

Reply #89599 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

cheers Skip, think I might even have that game at home in the archives....

Reply #89602 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

does anyone have a copy of this game?
i have the semi final from the same olympics between Aus and Us would like to add this one to the archives.....

Reply #89684 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:04 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754