Isaac
Years ago

Sturt win both at Starplex

Sabres women won 108-55. Nixon had 30 and 11, plus 6 steals, while HBowley scored 19, McPhail 15, SChapple 13 and Marino 11 plus 7 assists.

Centrals had Conn (19) and Bayly (12) in double figures.

Sturt men won 115-82. Austin Smylie said farewell (I think he leaves in a few days) with 34 points (11-18 FG, 2-3 3P and 10/10 FT) and 9 rebounds in less than 30 minutes. Darren Ng had 21, Palmer and Shepherd had 13 each and 6 and 7 assists respectively, while Dodman returned to the team with 12 points and 7 boards in 18 minutes. Sturt were missing Forman who departed for New Zealand during the week.

Sturt were good from the stripe with 27/29.

Clayton led the Lions with 22/8/5, while Clausen had 16, Graves 14 and Atkins 12 and 6 assists. Centrals again missed Vandenbergh, Wilkey and Watson - three of their starters.

Topic #8003 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where does this leave Sturts roster for finals?

Does this mean they will be minus Oscar and Austin?

Reply #89504 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Austin's wife and child left the week before Oscar, and Austin leaves on the 27th or something like that. I hope he gets a spot on an NBL bench somewhere - works hard, has the ability, and a good guy.

Sturt may look to fly Oscar back for finals games. I don't think Maher played enough games to quality. Gower obviously not even close to full fitness.

Definitely not going to be favourites in the finals, IMO.

Reply #89511 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, do you know why Smylie needs to leave before the season is finished? Sturt have put in so much good work and now are faced with an undermanned team when it matters the most. Even if Oscar does come back for finals, Sturt will still struggle as was evident in last week's game against Forestville.

Reply #89538 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Had previously arranged flights back - maybe a misunderstanding over dates, I can't remember for sure.

Reply #89539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is Smylie going? And what NBL teams are interested in him?

Reply #89547 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Back home to the States. He has had a little bit of interest in the past from a couple of clubs I think (Wildcats and Dragons), one other has asked after him more recently.

Been good having him in the league.

Reply #89552 | Report this post

The-Insider  
Years ago

That was smart of Sturt to get Smylie. Now that he is not playing finals are they going to regret not giving dodman time to develop.

Reply #89556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Dodman could not develop playing against a good import(better player) at practice? "The-Insider" do you know anything about sport. There use to be a pecking order. Young players had to earn playingtime, not just get because they are tall.

Reply #89560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what is up with gower

Reply #89583 | Report this post

The-Insider  
Years ago

Pecking Order.....

So if they get a player in but cant keep him for finals than this is a good thing. Playing in the Emus team, that must be cause he is tall (Actually he is not that tall compared to others in that team. Or maybe its because he can play and needs more ABL time to develop before he is needed in finals.

But anonymous (#89560) you are right I know nothing about sport or basketball in particular.

Reply #89600 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:39 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754