Interesting
Years ago

A second team for Adelaide.... Maybe

I for one would support this concept, I know many are against it but now that BASA have lost the 36ers, I think its a brand new ball game.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,19903387-5006371,00.html

NEW ownership of the Adelaide 36ers finally will be revealed today with a surprise mystery bidder set to take over the ailing NBL franchise.

With today's announcement, two of the public bidding players - the Peregrine Corporation and Mark Lewis - will drop from NBL calculations but MVP Sports will look to press on with the formation of a second Adelaide license.
MVP already has registered "Adelaide Sharks" as a potential franchise name after spending almost 18 months in the ultimately vain pursuit of securing the 36ers' license.

"We're waiting to find out officially (that we have missed out on the license) but if we haven't got it, we will press on with trying to secure a second team in Adelaide," said Ron Basset, MVP's financial backer.

"We love the 36ers and would hate to be in opposition to them.

"That was never our desire."

But MVP has invested much time, money and effort in its pursuit of an NBL license and is adamant it is still keen to run a club in Adelaide.

"We would work closely with Basketball South Australia," MVP front man Paul Bell said last night.

MVP was only interested in buying the 36ers and their home venue, the Distinctive Homes Dome.

It is believed the surprise bidder has opted for both and also the Women's NBL team the Adelaide Lightning.

"When we got into the bidding for the 36ers' license, we expected the club would lose money for about two years," Basset said. "A new team would probably take four-to-five years to break even."

While many believe Adelaide is not big enough to support a second NBL club, Basset pointed to the rivalry which had been created in AFL football when Port Adelaide in 1997 joined the Crows.

"Adelaide has a big basketball supporter base," Basset said.

"If we put a competitive team out there, we're confident the fans will come." MVP plans to have its team ready to compete in the 2007-08 Philips Championship.

Acting-Premier Kevin Foley and his appointed interim controller Bruce Carter - who has assessed the bids - will announce the 36ers' new ownership today.

It is believed interstate bids have been received but ownership conditional on the NBL franchise being maintained in Adelaide.

Today's announcement should bring to a close six months of uncertainty over the future of elite basketball in SA since Foley said "enough" in January and seized control of the 36ers' financially haemorrhaging parent, the Basketball Association of SA.

Retaining CEO Mike Daws, installing Carter and bringing in former AFL chief executive Wayne Jackson to chart a workable plan for the sport in SA eventually led to the realisation the sale of BASA's three leading assets was necessary to counter almost insurmountable debt.

When the state government finally decided the sport needed new vision and new visionaries to return it to prosperity, Foley, in his capacity as Treasurer, pointedly said: "The administrators of basketball have badly let down their sport."

Today the government will make the announcement which should again have basketball bouncing.

Topic #8026 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

By the looks of this they have had this in the back of their minds for a while. Registered since October 05.

Registrant:
MVP Basketball PTY Ltd
Wakefield St Adelaide, South Australia 5000
Australia

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: ADELAIDESHARKS.COM
Created on: 26-Oct-05
Expires on: 26-Oct-07
Last Updated on: 27-Oct-05

Reply #89661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and SOUTHERNSHARKS.COM registered August 05

Registrant:
MVP Basketball PTY Ltd

Wakefield St
Adelaide, South Australia 5000
Australia

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: SOUTHERNSHARKS.COM
Created on: 30-Aug-05
Expires on: 30-Aug-06
Last Updated on: 27-Oct-05

Reply #89662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stupid stupid move. existing team struggles for sponsors, new team has no existing rapport and no experience in this area. with new owners of the 6ers, lots will rejoin that.

Reply #89664 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Second that anon, the sport struggles as it is.

They refer to the power v crows, the difference there bing that when the power came into AFL the crows were sold out every week and season tickets were almost impossible to get.

Hardly the same situation with basketball at the moment.

Reply #89665 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I would think with 2 teams here, only 1 would survive more than a couple of years. However, the new owners should be prepared to make sure that its the Sixers that do.

As much as I would love to be at a Pack Dome for a home town derby, you have to be realistic. If Sydney with a population of 4 million cant sustain 2 teams, i dont see how Adelaide would stand a chance.

Reply #89670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As dumb as this may seem you have to admire mvp/basset for coming out and having a go. Man, if they pull this off, and I doubt they have the financial resources or business acumen to, I would be very impressed.

If they are prepared to have a go I hope everyone gets behind these underdogs and helps them out.

It would have been great to see them get involved with the new owners of the 36ers and concentrate on things like the academy/school coaching.

Reply #89671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

skip; you're right. sydney have huge financial backing and west sydney have good support too. meanwhile the pigs are getting 1500 to games while sydney are playing 4 games in canberra this year to try and bring in some cash.

one team survives, that would be the Sixers easily, more history, more longterm fans, probably more money behind them with this new owner.

if i wanted to throw a lot of money in the bin, i can think of much more fun ways to do it than run an upstart second team in a struggling sport in an oversized country town for a few years.

Reply #89673 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Anon 89671

Why should everyone get behind them? We already have a team we support.
My full support would continue to go to the Team Ive supported since I was kid.

Reply #89676 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Its probably what has driven the price of the Sixers down. The new owners realising that at present while the full basketball support would go to the Sixers, in the near future it would have to compete against another team and lose some of its members. A new team is not going to attract too many new basketball fans, its mostly going to take away from the existing fans of the Sixers.

Reply #89679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL has just seen one of it's oldest and proudest clubs go through major financial issues and new ownership.

IMO the arrogance shown by these two individuals in this article to go to the media and talk up a second team from Adelaide now is insulting.

Instead of trying to take attention away from the new 36ers management they should do what's really best for basketball and shut up!

Reply #89680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

89680 agreed.

EC price of assets was low because they are losing money, not because of incoming competition .

look at south dragons. loads of corporate support, blowing heaps on the roster. they're in a big sports-mad city competing with the tigers (high prices, small stadium). a new team in adelaide would have no chance in hell in matching dragons marketing and even cowan is going to find it tough to get his 5000 people/game target i reckon

Reply #89681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But what about what's best for their egos??

Reply #89682 | Report this post

Chuck D  
Years ago

I disagree. Something like this would be an injection of enthusiasm for the sport. The NBL itself has said it would like to see 2 teams per major city (Adelaide, Perth only ones with out that) fact of the matter is if these guys have the passion for the sport then they will make a success of it to some degree. They already have the support at grass roots level with their Bear Basketball clinics, and with Mr. Bassett's corporate connections you would think would be able to generate enough support for this. Competition is only a healthy thing, something the Sixers not having allowed the mess to develop in the first place.

Reply #89686 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

Time will tell, if it does happen hopefully the general public will support the 2 teams and then it will be a case of double the hoops action which i can only see as a positive!

Reply #89687 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

From a fan's perspective, I wouldn't mind having a choice. Heck, I'm sure some die hard fans would go to both 36ers and Shark games.

Good on Basset and Bell for having a go.

However, from a business standpoint I don't understand why you would look at doing it unless you were willing to lose a lot of money.

Like posted above, Cowan appears to have done everything right in terms of securing sponsorship and selling tickets. However, that has also meant spending big on name coach, name player- Heal, overpriced role players, expensive imports, expensive stadium, etc, etc.

However, even with all this spending I can't see the Dragons getting 5,000 for a final let alone during the season. Tigers couldn't have sold out Vodafone even with Anstey and Co.

Unfortunately, my view is that irrespective of how well you were to run your individual team, your fortune would lie with the state of the NBL.

If it is not on FTA TV and getting good exposure then the massive TV rights deal that is the lifeline of most professional sports is missing right from the beginning.

Not only that but are the crowds going to flock in for your Sharks v Razorbacks, Slingers, Taipans, etc who whilst might be ok on the court, aren't and will never be marquee teams?

Sponsorship is tough enough in our market for one team, let alone two. The fact you would be competing for pretty much the same fan base even including the decent sized market of disgruntled 36ers fans would mean you would be in trouble right from the very beginning.

That would mean, spending big time to field a better team than the 36ers in the hope of picking up the bandwagon fans. Spending big time a la Cowan comes with major risks when combined with the risk of low ticket sales and sponsorship.

Reply #89688 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think time and resources should be spent reviving the 36ers not starting a new club. They'd have no hope

Reply #89689 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

Anonymous 89680 - well put!

While on the surface it appears that Paul Bell & co are 'doing great things for Basketball in SA' they clearly have their own ego driven agendas and dont care about trying to bring down Smyth and the Sixers to further their own ambitions.

This latest leak to the media is a classic case of sour grapes....get over it boys - you lost and cant accept the umpires decision. Do the right thing for the sport and just shut up!!

Reply #89690 | Report this post

Maurice White  
Years ago

It didn't work in Adelaide back in the early 80's with the Bearcats and Eagles playing NBL.

The only way it could possibly work is if the team played out of Port Lincoln or Roxby Downs - that's where the money is.

If they had any smarts they would apply to get a team back in Hobart. They have a great stadium that's not being used and a state crying for a national league team.

Reply #89691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the Government should of looked to see what was best for basketball. I wonder how far off the MVP bid was from the actual winner.

I can only guess that the amount of money that they would of saved from not buying the Sixers (It would be in the millions) they can use that to get the new team going well.

And from what I understand was paid for the 36ers and the Dome, depending on who that is, will struggle to spend anymore money on the team.

Reply #89692 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

It just shows how green these people are when it comes to business. It is one of the silliest ideas I have heard of. The crows/port situation is one example. They would just turn SA against them and this shows that these guys have had an hidden agenda from the start and it is no wonder that the government didn't give the sixers (if they have decided it).

Reply #89693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I will be the first one to get membership to the adelaide sharks or southern sharks if it goes ahead. We in Adelaide are then offerring extra opportunities to ABL players to make up the final spots in a team.

Reply #89695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks for that belly

Reply #89696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe one team in Melbourne struggles to get 3500 to games in a city with 4 million people.

But in Cairns they sell out every week 5000 in a city with only 100,000 people.

It doesn't matter the size of the city, in Melbourne there are a lot of other things to do with your time.

If these guys want to start a new team and give my son a better chance of making an NBL team and local one at that, good on them.

You must still remember all the things they have done to help basketball and they probably feel that deserved to get the team.

Bear Basketball
Radio Show
Basketball Academy.

How much money do you think they have made from the above?

Reply #89697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is it just me or is it really easy to know which posts are from the mvp group here??

those lincoln guys with their $200m and more each wlil do fine.

govmt has seen whats best for basketball and its not mvp. good decision

Reply #89698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

those things would make very little money at all i say

Reply #89699 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

I've asked this before but, doesn't BSA have a veto on a second team entering the league. This may change once the sale goes ahead, if it is the case.

On the positive side they could play out of the under utilised Dome cheaply you would think.

Reply #89701 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Anon 89697

Yeah, In melbourne they have other things to go see, like AFL, A-League, Music Concerts, Cricket....

Hold on, so do we in Adelaide!

Reply #89702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

schueller, bell, bassett and company would be better to shut up at this point they aren't attracting any fans, they are actually put more off side and more than thankful that the bid failed.

Reply #89703 | Report this post

Rabbit Stuffer  
Years ago

Why would a second team need to be based in Adelaide.......Port Lincoln anyone?

Reply #89704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If our tuna baron mates brought them then that is great. They have deeeeep pockets and are from the old school - Accountability and hard work.

Hopefully MVP/Bassett get behind the ownership. They were just out of their league owning a mutli-million $$ franchise.

Reply #89705 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Rabbit Stuffer - It wouldnt need to be based in Adelaide. However, from what I have read, the plan is for the team to be in adelaide.

Reply #89708 | Report this post

G.S.  
Years ago

I've been trying to work out what is to be gained by this announcement.

And for the life of me from a basketball person first, and business person second would really like someone from MVP to come on and explain.

Because I (and I think everyone else) just have to be missing the point.

1. So if you miss out yes you would be disappointed BUT, what do you gain by floating a concept that further destablises basketball in SA.

2. From a business perspective....Paul please.

It is questionable at best if anyone can make money out of the 36ers. But laughable to even think Adelaide can support 2 teams.

* Corporate support has been declining every year despite the team being relatively successful.
* Season ticket sales decreasing every year.
* Overal crowd numbers down.

So come on guys come clean and tell us the real point of your announcement.

Reply #89710 | Report this post

MGH  
Years ago

"Well I will be the first one to get membership to the adelaide sharks or southern sharks if it goes ahead. We in Adelaide are then offerring extra opportunities to ABL players to make up the final spots in a team"

I can assure you all that the above opinion was not anyone from the MVP group as I'm the one who wrote that. I think it is a good idea. We have a lot of tallent coming through adelaide and I would love to see some of these players come back to adelaide. Imagine if the likes of Newley, Ingles, Holmes, Forman, Williams (Drew), Schencher (i wish) all came to play against each other in a home derby. I would be there for sure.

Reply #89711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it could work and be sustained it would be great.

Just like if I had a billion dollars, Id be rich.

Reply #89713 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

This is a bit like a TV show. Tonights viewing guide.

1. At 7.00pm its the Twighlight Zone.

The story of a soccer team in a small city, trying to take on its older, larger, better supported cross town rival. Its a struggle for survival in a town that really can't support 2 teams.

But wait, along comes a wealthy property developer to back the team, called the Adelaide Sharks.

2. At 8.00pm its Where are they now!!

Reply #89716 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Anyone know when the announcment on the new owner will be made? Is there a press conference today?

Reply #89717 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Foley announces decision to BSA at midday. Press release should be available soon after that.

Reply #89718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #89697,

What have those things actually even doen to help basketball.

Bear Basketball has done some school clinics. Other people and BSA do exactly the same thing. And the only result of these clinics is that the money goes into somebodies pocket. NOT back into basketball.

Radio Show. What does that give? A little one sided information. And do you think it will continue when the second team does not get up?

The Academy. What players has it produced? None. It has only taken $40K out of basketball in SA to fill Paul Bell's pockets.

Reply #89729 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

I dont think there is enought talent in the country to support more teams at this point. When you got guys like EVERSTYN in th league (tall goofy and useless! all 2.16 meters!) you realise that there is a few too many open spots. It is possible that another Adelaide team COULD thrive sometime in the future, but NOT NOW. I think that the league should wait atleast 3 years before further expansion, there must be enough top flight Aussie talent to support another team.

Reply #89776 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

A second team in Adelaide would be on a hiding to know where. If Bell & Co want to throw their money away, hell they can throw some my way. The result will be the same. They will do their dough. Its the sixers for this town. I cant see another team surviving.

Get real Bell & Co.

Reply #89798 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Chuck D, Brisbane doesn't have more than one team in Brisbane. The other teams are in regional areas miles away from Brisbane. It just happens that those areas are large enough to support an NBL team. The only major cities with more than one team is Sydney and Melbourne and even Melbourne have only had one team for the last few years and that one team only attracted 3000 spectators. If there were regional areas in south Australia such as Mt Gambier or Whyalla that could support a team, then that would be good, but Adelaide city cannot support another team.

Reply #89825 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

What if....

If the MVP group want this team why couldnt they buy out an existing club in adelaide and help there juniors develop and have the possibility of progressing through basketball past the usual ABA with-in there club. This could only be good for SA basketball, the possiblity of having a four/fifth powerhouse in Junior ball in SA as well as having the NBL team there to help them along.
It can't be such a bad idea as its worked for Melbourne, Dandenong and Bulleen

Reply #89827 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

fiji on the money.

Weren't Adelaide Sharks the old West Adelaide team in the NSL back in the 1990s?

Reply #89828 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think a 2nd team in Adelaide could be a good thing, aslong as its financially viable to have both, which i wouldnt have a clue about, but i belive there are plenty of players not playing NBL who would be capable of it, but wethere they would sign with a Adelaide team who knows, guys like Dench, Moore, even maybe a Luke Schenscher if he didnt get a NBA contract, Ben Thompson, Derek Rucker, Truslove, Greg Blake, Darren Smith, Marcus Timmons are all solid to good NBL players without current contracts, and also having 2 new imports, and giving SA players such as Hambour, Sutton, Magden, Smylie, ect a go. And who knows in the near future guys like Newley and Forman and Holmes could wish to return to SA but not neccesarily the 36ers, so this could be a very exciting prospect, and i wouldnt mind seeing it aslong as it doesnt mean the death of the 36ers, Good luck to the 36ers new owners, and to the MVP sports with what ever they decide to do!!

Reply #89835 | Report this post

blank  
Years ago

everyone is saying about wasting money but obviously they dont care about money. so give em a shot see what happens. you might all be suprised. either shark or sixers are going to survive and 36ers are obvoiusly not drawing any new fans ne way. only the oldies. it not your money is it?

Reply #89838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

blank : you haven't thought about this very hard have you?

Reply #89839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i would definately support a second team over the 36ers. After seeing the value of my season ticket halved in last couple of years, the amenities at the games go downhill , and the selfish players we seem to have attracted to play for us, I would be behind a new team in a shot.What about we give some positive feedback for a change. Give more kids the chance to play at a higher level MAy, only may, stop so many switching to footy. More teams, as long as thet are run well, can only be good for our sport

Reply #89852 | Report this post

Noti Bagy  
Years ago

Ron,

Take your pot of money to the roulette table at the casino.

At least you know what the odds of winning are.

I was watching Brewsters Millions last night and there are some great ideas in that movie that maybe worthwhile investments too.

Reply #89853 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754