thedoctor
Years ago

Team USA final 15 announced

Looks like Team USA are getting serious. No rookies, plenty of defence and rebounding, pure shooters and a true point guard. This team will dominate like Dream Teams of old.

http://www.nba.com/news/311545.html

Compare to the Boomers side - we are very average in comparison, more so than in recent competitions.

Topic #8042 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Players named as finalists include: Carmelo Anthony (Denver Nuggets); Gilbert Arenas (Washington Wizards); Shane Battier (Houston Rockets); Chris Bosh (Toronto Raptors); Bruce Bowen (San Antonio Spurs); Elton Brand (Los Angeles Clippers); Kirk Hinrich (Chicago Bulls); Dwight Howard (Orlando Magic); LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers); Antawn Jamison (Washington Wizards); Joe Johnson (Atlanta Hawks); Brad Miller (Sacramento Kings); Chris Paul (New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets); Amaré Stoudemire (Phoenix Suns); and Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat).
Shaq, Kobe, etc unavailable?

Reply #89880 | Report this post

PhilaDelfia  
Years ago

Iverson should be in this team! How can Hinrich be in it and not AI??What a disgrace!

Reply #89890 | Report this post

daniel  
Years ago

Kobe's undergoing minor sugery, and should be reintroduced to the team later on ... shaq has still not said yes or no - and the coaching staff have said that if/when he says yes they will make room for him (as long as it's not a week beforehand ...)

Reply #89893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no rookies?

Chris Paul?

Reply #89901 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

I suppose Chris Paul doesnt count now he has one year under his belt.

I think the "rookie" tag was reserved for Morrison and Reddick and possibly Oden - who is a non-participating member of the squad.

Isaac,

Add to that - Shaq can pretty much step into a role with the team at his own discretion as he was given a blessing from Colangelo. I dont think he will though - unless his mind-set drastically changes or a couple of bigs go down with injury.

PhilaDelfia Fan ,

AI has totally the wrong attitude to play in this team. It has long been known that Coach K wants point guards who are going to distribute the ball and be unselfish. IVERSON is selfish !!
He is also not a great influence when there are this many young guys on the squad and was rightly not INVITED. The farce that was the backcourt of Marbury and Iverson can never happen again.

Reply #89918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

go hinrich!!!!!!!! AI is only good for himself, thank god he isnt on the side. Kirk is a young superstar with a lot of potential. He is a "team" player unlike iverson.

Reply #89922 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Paul has proven himself at NBA level, carrying the Hornets all year. He is a true pass first point guard - not many left. I would certainly prefer him over Ridnour who was the other PG in the squad.

And yes, I did mean Morrison and Reddick when referring to rookies. Past USA teams have had the token rookie riding the bench.

How good is a starting 5 of:

PG - Paul
SG - Wade
SF - Bowen
PF - Brand
C - Stoudemire

Replace Bowen with LeBron if other team doesn't really have a flat out scorer.

Reply #89926 | Report this post

MC  
Years ago

Geez Doc,

you're not given Lebron a starting spot!?!
Surely you'd pick him over Bowen no matter what the other team has or hasn't got!

Reply #89954 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Have to agree with MC. LBJ has to start for this team.

Sub LBJ for Bowen and I think you'd be looking at the most talented 5 right there. I really like Hinrich though, and he may get the nod ahead of CP3 for his superior outside shooting. CP3 would be great to have off the bench to push the tempo, IMO.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Brad Miller start over Amare either. He's a bit more of a "pass first" centre & with LBJ & Wade on the floor, they'll need people willing to get them the ball.

Brand will be useful because he does the dirty work, has worked for Coach K before & will be a handful in the low block.

If they're all happy to accept that none of them will average 30ppg, none of them will get to be "the man" & none of them will play full games, I don't see why they wouldn't romp through the competition.

Reply #89959 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Not necessarily. Bowen for defence and spot shooting. You can't just stack a team with stars and expect to win, you have to coach a balanced team with all positions filled on both ends. Other international teams are too well drilled - hence the poor results in the last few comps for the USA.

The team has enough scoring power without LeBron in the first 5.

Reply #89960 | Report this post

daniel  
Years ago

Bowen is an awful defender. I don't know how he got his rep, but he certainly doesn't deserve it. All he does is overguard the sideline, and when (not IF) his defender gets past, he hopes that Fundamental cleans up his mess. Can't believe Bowen was selected in the squad, let alone the final fifteen.

Reply #89963 | Report this post

prime  
Years ago

shane battier??? why i ask why?

Reply #89964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

look what happened when they put all the selfish scorers in the squad. maybe there tryin to add some selfless role players in the team. shane battier is mr intangibles, he does all the dirty work.

in regards to Doc saying you dont need to start bron, thats a fair enough comment. USA have got scorers everywhere, plus if u start lebron along with all the other stars, and that starting 5 doesnt work, then there fucked. whatever happened to the spark of the bench. that way if the starting 5 are struggling youve still got a massive weapon off the bench

Reply #90005 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe I didn't see enough of the games, but wasn't Iverson one of the guys that actually did OK in Athens, along with Duncan? I remember LBJ struggled along with a few of the others.

Athens stats - Iverson led USA in scoring (only US player in double figures each game), though Marbury topped him in assists.

Reply #90006 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Isaac, keep in mind Iverson VOLUNTEERED to play for the USA then with a BROKEN THUMB because no one else wanted to play for them.... And they cut him? Yeh good move America..... Idiots

Reply #90007 | Report this post

average team  
Years ago

This team will not dominate like dream teams of old, they won't even compete in the gold medal game!

I think people forget how long it has been since the USA has won an olympics or world champs. Sydney 2000 I think. They just arn't that far ahead anymore!

Reply #90030 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Daniel, the guy has made the last 6 All-NBA defensive teams. For an awful defender, he has done pretty well. Unlike Wallace though, he has offence. He used to be only a three point shooter from the corner (where he is automatic) but now he has a very reliable jump shot both spot-up and off the dribble.

That's why he was picked.

Reply #90035 | Report this post

rabbit  
Years ago

i tend to think that the good old USA pride will get them back in the gold medal game. it does appear as though they have picked a more balanced team, and despite iverson being a freakish player, maybe it is better for team balance to leave him out, as you already have wade and james who can score at will. i reckon i could coach this team to the gold medal, surely with a top level coach, they will return to the top. is stoudamire fit?? LBJ has to start on any team he plays in.

Reply #90037 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I like LBJ, and he is a pretty good defender himself, so no real issue there. Just that he and Wade would play a similar role in that team, being the go to guy late in the shot clock. Not sure how often they will both be on the court at the same time. I put Wade ahead of LBJ at the minute - not sure why, I just like his game.

I'm from the old school - defence wins championships, and gold medals, so Bad Boy Bruce gets minutes if I'm the coach, as does Brand and Battier.

Reply #90066 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Doc, would it be because Wade has proven himself a winner already?
Not bagging LBJ but D.Wade has the wood on him there...
I agree with not starting them both, sub in LBJ for Wade and start with the defender for balance.
US will be in the Gold medal game.

Reply #90077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wade would have to start over LBJ. wade would be better for team dynamics as he would rather put the ball on the floor then shoot. Whith such agility and the ability to slip the defense, wade will be able to create for others in the team as well as score, for example drive and dish to bowen for the j as you know dwade is going to command attention when he penetrates. i think lbj would shoot too much and take would disrupt team dynamics.

Reply #90117 | Report this post

skyhook  
Years ago

My starting 5 would be

Pg Paul
SG Wade
SF LBJ
PF Melo
C Miller

Carmelo could be swapped out with Howard or Bosh depending on the number of shots the other guys are taking.

Reply #90128 | Report this post

skyhook  
Years ago

Daniel -

"Bowen is an awful defender "

Yes, if you mean he's 'awfully good'

WTF ? are you serious ???? The guy has a very limited offensive game, HE MAKES HIS $$ PLAYING D on a very stingy (in the past) Spurs team !
He was chosen to defend people- not just hit the occassional 3 pointer from the baseline in offense.

Please enlighten us as to how he is so terrible on the defensive end .

Reply #90130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issac,

Word is that Iverson was not selected as the team has rules in place such as "Not to wear a do-rag" in front of international committee members. And that players will need to have a travel out uniform.

Maybe Iverson showed his typical attitude of not being able to conform to the expectations of the team?

Reply #90138 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:38 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754