Isaac
Years ago

36ers sign Nick Horvath

Former West Sydney Razorback and Duke University player Nick Horvath has agreed to terms with the Adelaide Pura Milk 36ers.

Nick Horvath had an injury interrupted 2005/06 season, but was a big contributor in 2004/05 for the Razorbacks. He averaged 20 points a game at an outstanding 54.3% clip.
More at the 36ers official site

Topic #8050 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Like most of our team, If he can remain free of injury, should be a good pick up.
Would you think that we will basically see a 3 man rotation (cooper, wheeler, Horvath) between the centre/forward spot?

Reply #89928 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Like almost everyone, I wondered if this is a bit of a plain signing but then all you need to do is look at the numbers to see the potential here - legit 20 and 10 in 04/05, led the 04 Blitz in scoring, picked up a POTW nod, averaged 19.7 PPG for 8th in the NZ NBL (53.6% FG) and was top 4 in the league in rebounding (total, offensive and defensive), 5th in BPG, 5th in productivity.

Maybe a bit turnover prone, but gives the team some flexibility and height in the front court.

Will be interesting.

If the roster are winning, the crowds will come.

Reply #89929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yawn, i'm sure he will work out its just a little uninspiring. How long did they sign him for?

Reply #89931 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure. I'd assume one year unless they announce otherwise.

Reply #89932 | Report this post

Nothin Special  
Years ago

For the ladies, it is just me or is there a distinct lack of eye-candy in next years team?

Reply #89936 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

so you are saying that Paul Rees was eye candy?

(Mod: Paul Rees might!)

Reply #89939 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

This should prove to be a very good signing for the club. Nick Horvath was playing in a losing side and still put up good numbers...I think peoples impressions of Nick would have been higher if he had been playing for a Sydney or a Melbourne.

Isaac is right...if the team is winning, people will come. Personally I would pay my money at the door to see Maher & Farley ahead of most other players in the league.

It's been a great week for our club!

Reply #89941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

give kent a basketball someone!

Reply #89942 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yes i think its a great sigining, and Horvath is a bit of a dusty like player but a bit bigger, and would anyone complained if Dusty had returned, i dont think so, so everyone should get behind Horvath and this signing along with Wheeler gives us a legitimate big man rotation for the first time in years.

Reply #89944 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Bonz...one could argue that it is easier to put up good numbers on a bad team then it is on a good team.

Reply #89945 | Report this post

Ruebenb  
Years ago

Jasmine - one could argue any point until Hitler is mentioned on this forum!

Reply #89957 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Ruebenb...Okay.

Reply #89961 | Report this post

Basil Fawlty  
Years ago

Reueben,
I may have mentioned it once but i think i got away with it.

Reply #89971 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

This year we will field a substantially taller side than we have for at least the last three years. In my view this has been a major area in which we have struggled in the past.

Last year we lost at home to a massively undermanned, but much taller, Hunter outfit. That was a disgrace of a game, but it all came down to our lack of inside presence.

Hopefully this year gives us the size to compete inside without the loss of aggression and shooting from the outside.

I am impressed with the team line-up, and while I cant quite work out if it is better than last year or not (lets face it, injury will be a massive issue) it is IMHO at least as good. That is pretty impressive when you consider that we had to cover the massive loss in Dusty, Oscar and Holmes from last years side.

Maybe someone can finish for me:

Horvath 208cm > Rees ???
Wheeler 208cm > Oscar 205cm
Majstrovich 201cm > Holmes 198cm
Copeland 198cm > Dusty 197cm
Ng 189cm < Hambour ???

Reply #89973 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

So why did the coaches go to America?

Reply #89975 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

on adelaide36ers.com it says that nick hovarth is 44 but on nbl.com.au it says 33. He also used to play as 33 with the razorbacks.

error?

Reply #89978 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I asked specifically and was told 44. If it turns out to be 33, it's easy to change on the site.

Reply #89982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So why did the coaches go to America? "

holiday!

Reply #89987 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

what a great signing,for once in a long time adelaide looks solid in the big man department! we now can compete down in the blocks instead of shooting the lights out!

Reply #89988 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

Bye the way,im not saying reesy wasn't a great player,just wasn't athletic enough in his later years

Reply #89989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So are the Paul Rees Posse going to be Nick's Prick's

Reply #89991 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

The Awnser, are you aware you having a typo in your name?

Reply #89996 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

You know billo, for a bean counter, you make a great English teacher ;)

Reply #89999 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Umm, Horvath can't play under ##3, as it has been retired.

Or has everyone forgotten The Chairman?

Reply #90000 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

billo, say hello to Skitt's Law:

"Spelling or grammar flames always contain spelling or grammar errors."
;)

Reply #90001 | Report this post

daniel  
Years ago

can we assume that Brad is now the Awnser ?

Reply #90018 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Damn you Skitt, damn you and your law!!!

Reply #90200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

brad is confirmed to be the awnser

Reply #90465 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Coaches went to ameria coz Horvath was playing summer league for the lakers. I suppose they wanted to look at him first hand and they were looking at a few others aswell. Plus they wanted to rack up some frequent flyer miles.

Reply #90757 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:27 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754