bush telegraph
Years ago

WNBL game in Whyalla ?

surely seeing Mr marino has been good enough to buy the team - we could squeeze a game in at Whyalla this season!

Ideally it would be against Perth (Angelas team) during their junior carnival during january.

may be a bit late now - but during the junior carnival -- i am sure they would get a better crowd than wayville

good regional PR as well

During the high school nationals canberra always played AIS as a regional thing and they would get 2,500 - 3,000 to the game

Topic #8058 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully they can get a WNBL game to Whyalla now. We have a very capable stadium and i am sure they will get quite a good turn out. I dont really care who they lightning should play against if they come to Whyalla, however it would be a good thing i guess to have Perth Lynx now that Angela plays for them, and i think she would be stoked to play in front of her true home crowd.

Reply #90057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where would the profits go if they played in Whyalla?

Reply #90086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where would the profits normally go ? To whover incurs the costs of making the event happen i'd say.

I would imagine their wouldnt be too many profits anyway.

Would be great to see though. Not sure that there would be too much sitting room, as it would draw a fair crowd.

Reply #90113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you been to the Whyalla Stadium? I think there would be more than enough sitting room. There has been some other major events happen at the stadium and it has been fine.

Reply #90115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been there. There is a lot of room on the court one stand. But i would imagine it would be jammed. How many people does this stand hold ?

Maybe some extra seating around the court perimeter would need to be orginised ?

I think the Whyalla stadium is tops, love the bar facilitys.

Reply #90141 | Report this post

try this  
Years ago

you can always get some scaffolding

Reply #90151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Vince could fork out for those extractable seats in mid air, like at the Dome !!! ;0)

Reply #90157 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

One major factor for having a game in Whyalla - cost.

Would have to travel and accomodate 2 teams, 2 refs, 5 scoretable staff, 4 statisticians, court announcer (Ok that could possibly be done locally), games commisioner, etc etc...

Would it really be that viable?

Reply #90171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats what i meant by refering to profits in my previous post. 90113.

There wouldnt be much profit, if any. Sometimes cost's like this outweigh any benifits as far as monetary profits go.

Other benifits for the kids, and such, would be magnifico !! But who see's past the big dollar now days ?

Reply #90175 | Report this post

Joey  
Years ago

No WAY for Whyalla... Thats NOT the Lightnings HOME COURT!! I am sick of seeing the Lightning girls get nothing out of games. Playing at Wayville and not at ETSA Park or the Dome is a big mistake and again no rewards or profits for the girls. Do people even know what the girls sacrifice in this league, No money, No perks... Nothing! There is No WAY they would want to play in Whyalla!!

Reply #90219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

joey u r a twat

Reply #90232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is extra seating around court 1, the Grandstand could hold quite a lot and then there is also the upstairs area. Like i said before we have had major events there before that would have had a large amount of people attend like the All-Stars game etc.

Joey - You are a wanker!! I dont think the girls would mind playing 1 game in Whyalla considering someone from Whyalla brought them to secure their future!!!!

Reply #90237 | Report this post

Joey  
Years ago

Anyone could have bought the Lightning and Marino only bought the lightning for Tax benefits!! Think about it... Your the Twat!

Reply #90243 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think you're all thinking of the players here, and you could drop the insults and find a common ground. e.g., Joey, would you support a game in Whyalla if it provided more for the players?

Reply #90245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone could have brought the Lightning - however the question is was anybody else going to?

Reply #90247 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Where did they 'bring' them?

Reply #90248 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Joey, It is good to see that the Lightning have appointed a spokesperson for the whole team. This is correct isn't it? Otherwise how would you know what the players want. The discussion is about 1 game- not the season.
Remember what your Sonny said to your father- "What did you say Skip"

Reply #90250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey,

So are you saying that if the Lightining played a game on a Sunday against the Perth team that featured Angela. They wouldn't get a big crowd?

And if they held a sponsors and Sportsmans night dinner on the Saturday night before the game they couldn't turn a big profit if all the Lightning players were there, meeting, greeting and helping?

And that over all they would not be able to afford a couple of Bus trips up and back? Considering BHP and other companies in the area might put in somthing.

Reply #90257 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Hmm...bus trips.

Imagine playing a team like last seasons Canberra....Whittle, Beatty & Jackson....flying to Adelaide to then be on a cramped bus for 6 (or 8??) hours to get to Whyalla. Would want to be flying them in. And even Rex's biggest planes in SA wouldn't get 2 teams and support/coaching staff there.

Not to mention all the volunteer staff (stats, scoretable etc etc) who would basically have to give up a full weekend for a 2 hour basketball game.

I'm not trying to say it shouldn't be done, just that the logistics and cost vs any real benefits dont seem to add up.

Reply #90261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with you yogee that bus trips probably arent the best idea for means of transport.

However it seems that most of the people that are not in favour of a game being played in Whyalla are only thinking of the benefits of the players (which is important) but what about the benefits to country basketball!!!! Country kids make up a large number of successful basketball players these days and i think organising something like this (now that we have an opportunity with Vince owning the club) would be a huge bonus to the country kids. It doesnt even need to be a game in the WNBL season it could even be a pre-season game.

i just think that all you city people bagging this idea should think about country people for once!!

Also, the players may enjoy going somewhere different and experiencing a different atmosphere and they may even attract more fans that would never get a chance to see a live WNBL match.

Reply #90265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yogee,

Looking at the schedule. Perth play Canberra on Friday. Could therefore fly into Adelaide on Saturday morning and both team bus up on Saturday, getting in at around 4pm. Probably closer to 6 hour trip.

Lightning hold a coaching clinics for the local kids. $$$.

Then have a sponsors and Sportsman night. $$$.

Teams stay in a hotel that sponsor the trip. ie 20 free tickets to the game and free table to sponsor night. Players go home early and sponsors party night away.

Other Adelaide fans able to organise to stay at hotels and on other buses. $$$. Staff needed on other buses, with numerous duties being performed by locals.

Game played at 12 midday on Sunday. Finished by 2. Perth fly back to Adelaide and then on to Perth at 6pm(after losing we would hope) and others bus back home by 8pm.

Reply #90267 | Report this post

try this  
Years ago

"And if they held a sponsors and Sportsmans night dinner on the Saturday night before the game they couldn't turn a big profit if all the Lightning players were there, meeting, greeting and helping?

And that over all they would not be able to afford a couple of Bus trips up and back? Considering BHP and other companies in the area might put in somthing. "

I like that idea!

Reply #90346 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Hey, if they can do it, I would be willing to put my hand up and give up a weekend to go and do stats.

I'm not against the idea at all, I can see many great benefits for players, spectators and the sport in general, not to mention the local community (let's look at the 6ers pre season camp now in its 4th (??) year at Pt Lincoln)...just I dont think it would work logistically.

Reply #90363 | Report this post

patto  
Years ago

i might have bias but i think it is a great thing. if there is one thing you can say about vince is that he is passionate about basketball and the lightning have a big supporter base in whyalla. I think if logistically it is possible to hold a game in whyalla, the whyalla basketball community would embrace it fully?? Most events that whyalla basketball put on turn out to be a success (northern camp, Junior carnival) everyone gets behind it!! I know that this bigger but the passion and desire to succeed at such an event would be big enough to drive everyone to make it work. as for seating and spectator room i think that we could seat/stand at least as many as wayville. I also think that there are enough knowlegable people to be involved eith stats etc if needed. i hope it happens

Reply #90367 | Report this post

lightning link  
Years ago

I think one game would be good PR and should go ahead - i like the idea of a sports dinner the night B4 with a sunday game

the local kids / ballers would get a chance to see soem international stars - phillips / foley etc

Reply #90372 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Patto,

I dont doubt that there are people in Whyalla who can do stats / score table etc. But to work a WNBL game you must be accredited to a certain level.

Reply #90458 | Report this post

patto  
Years ago

Yeah i thought that might be the case. I think we only have 1 guy that is accredited. It might provide more interest for some of the locals to look into getting accredited though

Reply #90481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

coming from a junior who plays basketball in the country, i think that having the lightning play at the Whyalla stadium is a great idea and i think Vince can and will make it happen to the best standard possible. i also think that the kids will definetly benefit from the experience in meeting their idols. country kids that play in adelaide have to travel every week to the city to play so why cant a city representative team travel to the country? it's not like it's every week they will have to do it like country players have too!!!!

Reply #127528 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:59 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754