Pacey
Years ago

ABL Championship Favs

In looking at the five teams that have made the finals i think 4 out of the five could win it.

Norwood - very lucky to be there and Sapwell will be even luckier to keep his job next year.

North - Definately the form side coming into the finals, have beaten most teams in final five. O would think most teams wouldnt want to meet them.

Eastern - Maybe the dark horse of the playoffs but without Madgen and Holmes will be difficult, but they have challenged all teams in their way.

Forestville - Major slip ups last 2 weeks against teams in finals. one would have to wonder about their mental toughness and how Andy can go getting his team up for finals. Forestville definately have a history of chocking at the business end of the season.

Sturt - Going from a star studded line up to a one man show in NG is going to be an issue for the sabres. maybe potsie should have played his young guys through the season and then they could stand up for the playoffs but with Forman, Smylie and Maher not available, i cant see the Sabres in the final.

So who do we think people, after this little run down i have no idea how it will go, and think its going to be an exciting playoffs.

what are peoples predictions???

Topic #8104 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I still think Sturt might win it.

South knew Darren was the man for Sturt, played him hard, and he still scored 50+.

Reply #90482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i wouldnt be writing the old flames just yet. they are the bogey side. dont think id want to come up against them. can beat anyone on their day

Reply #90485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flames have not won against North, Eagles or Sturt this season. These teams own Norwood.

Reply #90495 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

i think its will be
womens north vs. sturt
mens north vs. sturt or mavs

Reply #90496 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Key players missing from Sturt and Mavs, is Campbell still with Forestville ? if not that leaves only Norwood and North with their full compliment of players.Very difficult to predict as regular season form may not be a true indicator. All teams in with a chance. Forrestville favs for mine( with campbell) knocked off a full strength Sturt just 2 weeks ago and have the double chance.

Reply #90497 | Report this post

Highbury Gunners  
Years ago

How come Magden isnt playing finals for Eastern. They would be my tip with or without Holmes playing.

Reply #90500 | Report this post

4thSpazzy  
Years ago

Pacey, You mentioned that sturt will be without smylie for the playoffs, Do you or anyone one know why?
i am a flames fan and watched a game a few weeks back when he was matched up against cooper...and he gave cooper a fair smacking!!!
If it was just him and NG in the team i would have to say sturt could still get over the line...but with just NG there are to many other teams that are a bit more balanced...imho!!

Reply #90501 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Smylie flew back to the US on Sunday. I thought that Smylie vs Cooper was an interesting matchup too.

Reply #90502 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Magden is heading to the US to go to collage. Good luck Ben, hope all goes well for you.

Reply #90503 | Report this post

rabbit  
Years ago

Madgen will be playing.....no doubt.

Reply #90505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what college is madgen going to?

Reply #90506 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think the Eagles will win it, they have a gun team and the run and gun style, with their fitness, has the potential to blow any team out of a game in 5-10 minutes of basketball.
It sounds like Coops has come off second best in a few matchups this season.. does that worry any sixers fans?

Reply #90511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so sapper is gone? nothing to do with lack of time spent on juniors? or fact he has a real job now?

Reply #90523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if Magden is not going to college, he was on crutches on saturday night so I doubt he will be playing finals....not this week anyway. It is very interesting tho.

It really is anyones flag at this point. I think the sabres would have to be favourite. Oscar will be back for finals, even if Smylie is not. So any team with Oscar, Ng, will be tough to beat. Throw in the fact that Gower has had a few weeks back now so his form and fitness are sure to improve in the coming weeks. Throw in a pretty good support cast with Sheppard, Hakendorf, Dodman, the bald fella, and that is easily a good enough team to win the championship.

Then you have the Eagles. Boy are they up and down at the moment. Lost three out of their last 5, including losing to eastern without Magden, Holmes, Trebilcock for the secong half(has injured his calf again...could be out for the season), after the Eagles were up by 23 at half time! Cambell was missing in that one. Also they have had Dougie out for the last 3 or 4 weeks tho im not sure if he is the reason for them losing...he's a solid bench player but they should be able to win without him...not sure when or if he will be back? So it would seem that the Eagles don't have the consistancy to win the flag this year, but they definately have the players so anything could happen for them.

Eastern, well are a dark horse. If Holmes plays they are right up there with Sturt as favourites, but without him I can't see them winning 3 games in a row or 3 out of 4 to win the flag. one thing is for sure, as long as Williams is there, they will definately have a red hot go at it, and if Hill turns it on, and Davis plays like he did last week...saw he had 21 points, then once again, they are going to be tough.

North are definately the in form side heading into the finals. I think if their support group of Groves, Kies, Quigley, Rowe can consistantly bring in good numbers to take the pressue of of Hambour, Zorich and Burdon then they are a real chance. The only thing against them is the fact that they will need to win 4 in a row to take it out...not out of the question, but definately going to be very tough!

Norwood chances I beleive will depend on wether Ely plays or not. They have deinately struggled in his absence. He is a 20 point/ game player for them, and really gets his team fired up. A very important piece he is, and I can't see them winning the whole thing without him. Obviously alot rest on their other 4 starters in Cooper, Krause, Mathews and Webber, but with no real outside shooter I think they will be a preliminary finalist at best. With Ely, they can go all the way for sure. No home finals will hurt them, as they will have to win consecutive games at Hillcrest, Mt Barker, Wayville and Powerhouse, which are very tough venues to come away with a victory. But they are there, and this weeks game against North is going to be an absolute ball tearer.

Prediction
Grand final between Sturt and Forestville, with Sturt coming home with the championship!

Reply #90524 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Go back to your burrow rabbit. It is rabbit season not duck season!

Reply #90525 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Todd Mathews can shoot the lights out, but with him distributing the ball will he get the chance? Ely can score 20 on his night, but not per game.

Reply #90541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lockstock, Ely has averaged over 15 points a game this year. But if you take out the last three games that he played, where he scored 5 against the eagles after only playing half the game due to getting off a plane and going straight to the game to play, then the one against woodville where he got injured in the first minute, and then the last game where he didn't suit up but was still on the scoresheet and therefore his 0 points still going towards his season tally, i think you would find that his average would be very close to 20 a game!

Check your facts before you write.

Reply #90559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no outside shooter?/ webber had 37 yesterday on 6/7 from 3 land? thats a pretty good clip i thought

Reply #90560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no outside shooter?/ webber had 37 yesterday on 6/7 from 3 land? thats a pretty good clip i thought

Reply #90561 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Webber only seems to play well in the blow outs and when the team loses. The kid can shoot but is probably better for the flames penetrating and creating for his team mates and then hitting the open 3 when it presents itself. Robin is a pure shooter who will make more 3's than he misses. Flames are a chance if everthing falls their way.

Reply #90563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually that only gets Ely to over 17 points a game so i am not right either! My apoligies lockstock. Both Webber and Mathews can shoot well from outside, but not consistantly!

Reply #90564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

webber only plays well in losses or blowouts?? u obviously didnt see the game against eastern last fri night??

Reply #90569 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

must admit I didn't check my facts but just based my statement on the box scores I saw this year. I do think that Todd Mathews is an awesome shooter though, I remember playing against him a number of times about 8 years ago and he was one of the best shooters I'd seen back then. From what I have seen that hasn't changed. I rate him in the best 5 players in the league, although I know there are a lot of people out there that would disagree with me on that.

Reply #90570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

todd matthews is the best guard in the league i think. considering he is not training at all this year, the numbers he is putting up are outstanding! lookout next year as he in applying for transfer back to adelaide i believe and looking to suit up for the flames again

Reply #90576 | Report this post

Elbows  
Years ago

I would like to see F/ville-North in the grand final because they have only used their own players. No imports, no part time NBL players, just their own player stocks!

Reply #90587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good call Elbows, Forestville themselves are still astonished how they managed that!

Reply #90594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't worry Elbows, Forestville Women have more than made up for that this year.

Reply #90596 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Not so sure about Arnold,Sullivan and Campbell being Forestville's own.
Most teams have a number of players from other clubs, North the exception, results from a very strong junior boys program which should benifit them for a number of years to come.

Reply #90608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think a lot of people forget that Forestville won the 2003 championship with a starting 5 of Cambell, Sullivan, Higham, Mac-T and Dix. They also made last years GF with no sixer or import, so I think that they have proven that they can acheive in this league without a sixer or import on many occasions!

If anything, it is Forestville that shoul dbe complaining that they get beaten by teams with import. In all their losing grand finals, the teams that they have played have either had an import which dominated the GF, or sixer players. In 2000 it was Willie Joseph from Woodville that killed them and got GF MVP. in 2002, Sturt had Williams, Forman, Illman...all sixers. Illman and Williams both had 29 points that game. And last year Woodviile again had an import who killed the eagles in the GF.

Reply #90631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how did they go when they were filling the wallets of rees and pero ?

forestville have nothing to complain about so dont be ridiculous.

Reply #90634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Sullivan a North junior?

Reply #90639 | Report this post

yaga  
Years ago

i think mavs will get up against the eagles... spoke to some the boys last week and madge, trebilcock will be playing.. he was walking fine yesterday so they say. and holmes will most prolly be back this week aswell.. so a mavs sturt final.. mavs to win as they showed that they can win no matter who is playing... sturt prolly to soft not physical enough and are pretty far up their behinds which is not good for finals. eagles have lost their aggressiveness so they'll get knocked out in 2. norwood and north are amateurs as far as finals both choke when the intensity piks up. they both have to back up their talk this next 2 weeks...

Reply #90640 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

yep sulli played juniors at North.

Reply #90643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh the Eagles are the low budget underdogs in the hearts of everyone for these finals. How they can compete against the other cashed up clubs is something that will be studied by generations of economic scholars.

Reply #90644 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Sulli carved it up at North in juniors....
add him to this years roster...Championship.

Reply #90647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #90714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yaga, Holmes definately won't prolly be back for the Mavs this week.

Reply #90721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

after round 2 of the finals, who is everyone predicting now! think norwood are the form team!! will beat anyone if they play like they have in the last 3 games in mavs, north and west

Reply #92153 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:47 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754