Anonymous
Years ago

ABL Coaches who's Staying or Going?

Which ABL coaches are staying and which are going? We have Centrals and North being advertised. Are there any others or have clubs reappointed there coaches for next year?

Topic #8150 | Report this topic

Patty R  
Years ago

Posted this in another thread - may be useful here too:

When looking at a coach's performance you need to consider probably four things at least:

1. Where did the team finish this year compared to last year?

2. What players came in/out of the team from last year?

3. Has the overal standard of the competition improved/declined?

4. Where would have the team finished if the Phil Jackson (or the best coach you've ever had) was coaching them?

Keeping these things in mind and assuming that the competition has got stronger (which most would tend to agree with) I think the only three coaches who are in consideration are (based on minor rounds only - which is another flaw when selecting COY):

Simons: Similar team to last year (Arnold and Campbell come in but Newley and Wilson go out) and still able to match last years effort.

Loveday: Team probably got a bit weaker on paper but they have improved from 7th to 4th (No Hawkes and McKay but Groves comes back in). Hard to tell if the improvement is because of Loveday and not having the issue of the generation gap that caused problems last year or maybe part of the improvement was to do with Schuller?

Bauer: A bit hard to judge Potsie's performance because it is hard to know if this year's team was better than last years on paper. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say that they were fairly even. This year's lineup was much more unsettled with Shepherd, Gower, Maher, Smylie and himself all only playing parts of the season so he did a wonderful job keeping the team chemistry and putting the wins on the board. Note here that any team with Ng in the form he was in would do well.

The others probably couldn't win coach of the year for the following reasons:

Hill: Any coach that adds Holmes and Hill and has Madgen after a season training with the sixers and finishes about the same as last year probably would be hard pressed to win COY. Still has done a great job tho.

Sapwell: Probably should have added a fifth criteria above and that is the respect of the players. I'm not sure Sapper has this and he has probably underachieved given that he has added three quality players in Cooper, Matthews and Eley.

KB: I think KB is a great coach and had "da wood" made the finals he would surely be considered. Could not find anyone to fill Elders shoes but you have to love the way he gets those kids to play.

Manning: The team is progressing well and I think he will reap the rewards of two solid years next year. He makes them play hard. But South probably would have been expecting to make the finals this year after last year's near miss. A tougher competition and the loss of Pilkington prevented that from happening.

Hopkins: Same frustrating year for Billy - win some great games, lose some you should win and have plenty of injuries. A fit Gerlach and Alexander all season would have meant finals action.

Grieger: According to Hoops stats West only won three games last year when neither Truslove or Nash played so it was always going to be tough without them for the whole season. As such the jury is probably still out on his coaching credentials. Hats off tho for sticking with the kids in a lot of games - hopefully this combined with some off season recruiting will lift the bearcats next season.

Ricky: Could not possibly judge his coaching after the injury riddled season he had. I think he is a great coach and has respect from the players. too bad those players couldn't play all year.

Reply #91018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The improvement at North is not due to Loveday's coaching ability. The boys are doing well despite their extremely negative coach, who does far from bringing out the best in them.

Reply #91033 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

91033, do you play for North?

Reply #91039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree. the coach of the year should definately come from those 3 guys...Bauer, Simons and Loveday. Bauer probably should get it. Only lost 3 games all year! But Simons Forestville only lost 3 games all last year and didn't get it so it coul dgo to anyone.

Interesting tho that the Sabres lost those games to the teams that the other 2 coaches coach. Sturt lost 2 games to the eagles, and 1 to north!

I believe that the coaches themselves vote for the coach of the year. Not sure who that would favour.

Reply #91065 | Report this post

Rumer Mill  
Years ago

Simpson & Whitmore to leave Centrals. Brooks to leave Woodville. Would Woodville enetrtain Whitmore as a rookie coach?

Reply #91604 | Report this post

anomymous  
Years ago

Whitmore would be a good ABA women's coach - was successful with woodville in U18s a few years ago

Reply #91684 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

gawd scott stop talking yourself up

Reply #91693 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Simpson and Whitmore to suit up for Centrals.

I'd like to see that!

Reply #91696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricky and Scotty are talking to a a couple of clubs. They are trying to offer themselves as a package, like SJ / Smythie.

Reply #91712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

think you will find the same coaches will be at Central mens team net year

Reply #91742 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:34 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754