Struggling Coach
Years ago

Box and 1

The team i coach struggled last week against a box and 1 defence. When they first showed it, i thought, "YOU BEAUTY!"

but then our offence went stagnate.

I tried putting my gun player on the elbow, block, wing, baseline swinger, i even had him running the point, but nothing was working.

How would you go about attacking a box and 1.

(let's keep this concept and example based, i already know i am a crap coach, so telling me that isn't going to help the situation)

Cheers!

Topic #8156 | Report this topic

Matt W  
Years ago

baseline swinger off a couple low picks could work, depends on the players strengths, im assuming he is a 2/3 type of a kid.

we use something simmilar at our club against a man, works well getting guys the ball around the 3 point line once he has it... its the same as attacking any zone...

Reply #91046 | Report this post

The Early Bird  
Years ago

How about 3 out 1 in and attack the gaps. Tell the kid that's being tagged that he must go to the boards on any shot. Also set screens at half court and a lot of on ball screens

Reply #91049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

zone offense

Reply #91053 | Report this post

Bandit  
Years ago

Whilst I wouldn't mind showing off my profound knowledge about attacking a box and one defence, a very useful site you might like to try is:
http://www.coachesclipboard.net/Boxand1offense.html
If the link doesn't work go to the site any way by a cut and paste method.
You find more than enough information about how to use your "star" player and the other members of your team to your offensive advantage. Plenty of other information and drills also.

PS: The only "crap" coach is the coach that thinks they know it all and refuses to ask questions.
Keep going and enjoy learning. We all are.....!!

Reply #91057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If hes a gun he will get open... simple... :-)

Reply #91058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he is your gun player, then i assume that you must in normal man to man circumstances run some on ball screen and roll type stuff, and also staggered baseline picks where your player can use to either flare to the perimeter, or curl around to the hoop. I would not go away from these types of offences. The fact that there is one bloke on the opossition tagging your player should not disrupt these offences. The main thing is that he needs to have strong 'five step leads' in order to get the ball. Getting denied on the 45 is NOT an option!

Reply #91066 | Report this post

Coach Green  
Years ago

Keep it all simple with zones, they're all much of a muchness!

attack the seams, get guards swinging thru the wings and big fellas flashin to the foul line. Get these workin in flow with each other and all you'll have to do is hit the open looks!

AND most importantly clean the boards, run the ball CONSTANTLY and dont give them a chance to set!

IF YA NEED ANY MORE COACHING TIPS, JUST ASK! ha

Reply #91076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...hmmm, now everyone knows what to run gainst the Eastern U18 girls!

But a nice try using "him"...

Reply #91238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Especially considering you didn't see it this week.

Reply #91251 | Report this post

bob knight  
Years ago

Call a time out run a box n1 back at them and see what they do?

Reply #91361 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:43 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754