Kent Brockman
Years ago

Open letter to BA in todays tiser

some interesting points here.

"AN open letter to Scott Derwin, Basketball Australia CEO.

DEAR SCOTT,
What is going on with Australia's men's basketball program, mate?

It's been going from bad to worse during your tenure and - let's be frank here - the Boomers team which left our shores ultimately bound for the world championship is, arguably, the lamest yet.

Beyond Andrew Bogut, C.J. Bruton, Jason Smith and Brad Newley, you'd be hard-pressed to justify the selection of another of your boy Brian Goorjian's grab-bag of college types not-ready-for-international-ball, over-the-hill-cronies and guys who have "potential".

Truly Scott, does playing at some second division U.S. college really prepare a kid for international basketball? Or make him more worthy than some guy busting his hump week-in, week-out in our NBL?

Do we truly not care how we fare in Japan?

The team left yesterday with little fanfare and a preparation which included a meaningless series against New Zealand.

Mate, no offence, but we're sick of the Tall Blokes. We play them regularly at Oceania, we played them at the Commonwealth Games . . . they even have a team in our NBL.

Ok. First the Boomers contest the Boris Stankovic Cup in China against Greece and France. That should help their profile in Oz.

Then it's on to the worlds and a series bound to have BA's PR department at wit's end finding ways to explain Australia's performances.

Who knows? They might even be good given any expectation or pressure has been removed from the "young bloods".

You're probably too young to remember Scott but back in the days when we readily understood our guys would always be pushing a wheelbarrow full of expectation up Everest at these tournaments, we were always still left mesmerised and proud by how well our teams performed anyway.

It's called Anzac spirit but it's not something your American-born coach appears to understand when he lectures us about how overwhelming it's all going to be. Of course, once BA used to help, not hide.

Think 1978. Before your time, I know, but BA brought out the U.S. team for a five-Test series against Australia before the worlds. Not only did the series fill stadia everywhere but the Boomers made a quantum leap from 12th to seventh at the worlds.

Try 1987 and 1988 too. That's when BA brought out the Soviet Union in consecutive years for unforgettable Test series against our little Aussie battlers.

The Soviets claimed gold at the Seoul Olympics and Australia made it to the medal rounds for the first time in history.

Coincidences? Not likely.

Right now though, BA cannot even afford Matt Nielsen's health insurance so a primary player is left out.

Now Scott, did you ever think maybe we don't need to bring Brian's coaching buddies from the U.S. to provide insights at his overwrought camps? Or maybe Brian doesn't need a bench staff of nine - count 'em, nine - to bring home a result which, more than likely, will only challenge your PR machine's imagination and creativity.

Just a thought.

Enjoy the sushi."

Topic #8196 | Report this topic

XY  
Years ago

I thought this was absolutely classic.

It didn't have Boti's by-line in the electronic version, does anyone know if it did in the print version?

It echoes all of my current grudges with BA and the Boomers quite well.

Reply #91514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tankyou Phil.

Reply #91520 | Report this post

TG  
Years ago

Goorgian has a bench staff of 9!! Surely that would have gone some way to funding Neilsen's insurance or maybe sending the team on another trip OS to play some warmups before the tournament.

Instead we get a few games against the Kiwi's, then now only a couple more games in this Stankovic Cup. NZ even managed to get their guys a trip through South America against Brazil and Argentina... We couldn't do something like that??

Come on...I think we will struggle to get out of the group stage in the Worlds. Qatar should be a guaranteed win, otherwise Turkey is the only other side we "might" beat, but they have had some impressive leadup games too...

I just hope Bogut's words in the other article are right...no one expects them to do anything so they will play harder. We can only hope....

Reply #91521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they do do well will Boti have the balls to give credit publicly.....I doubt it. Easy to hide behind a pen.

Reply #91523 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great letter.

Meanwhile, having handled the Boomers, the Tall Blacks have played a four-game series against Brazil, played more games against Argentina, Venezuela and Brazil, and then host Qatar this weekend.

(Oops, just noticed TG has noted NZs lead-up.)

Reply #91525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe basketball NZ isn't broke like basketball australia

no money no trips - pure and simple embarassment all round if aust couldn't send a team to worlds because of lack of funding or that BA was put in the hands of an administrator

Reply #91526 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

#91523, something personal here perhaps?
Boti will credit the team if it does well, but probably not Boy Goorj as he, as many of us do, thinks that goorj is getting a free ride as opposed to the tratment Phil Smyth received.
" easy to hide behind a pen", give it up, he puts his name and picture to every article he writes!
Easy to hide behind an anonymous post.....

Reply #91528 | Report this post

wateva  
Years ago

absolutely mint

Reply #91529 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

I hardly think a bench staff of nine is all that unusual for a team at this level. Maybe you could cut it back to seven or eight, but really he is getting a support staff around him which is a smart move.

From the Basketball Australia website:

1. Brian Goorjian (Coach)
2. Brendan Joyce (Assistant Coach
3. Rob Beveridge (Assistant Coach)
4. Nic Mercer (Manager)
5. Dr Seamus Dalton (Doctor)
6. Steve Evans (Physiotherapist)
7. Bohdan Babyczuk (Fitness Coordinator)
8. Nick Popovic (Fitness Assistant)
9. Ray McLean (Facilitator)

The nine includes him so really the "support" is eight.

Ok what is a facilitator, but I can't really see another one you could cut, maybe not necessary to have a fitness assistant (although Nick is probably qualified to be the head Fitness coordinator, pretty sure the guy has a masters in strength and conditioning, and does the work for the kings). You may even add in a sports psychologist. Even SA Metro took a "staff" of six to the under 18 Nationals.

Reply #91531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Soviet team and the US team comming out to Australia had a major impact on the financial position BA currently finds itself in. They both lost money. The Czech and future Russian teams that played in Australia cost BA even more.

Boti knows this and failed to even write a mention of it, infact he wrote the opposite with is blatantly wrong.

Whilst I agree that the staff of 9 seems high, it is not like they are all full-time paid by BA, again something Boti doesn't write about.

Finally, the only point that is really relevent is that in past years we have played with Aussie spirit. But considering we are missing Neilsen, Andersen, Anstey, all probably starters as well as a few token bench guys, of course we aren't going to do well. So why not blood some guys so that we do better in the future.

Just another Boti piece that leads the Adelsied public astray in their thinking.

Reply #91534 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Has it been confirmed it is Boti?

Either way, I think the author was referring to bringing Dunlap out to help coach the team.

Reply #91539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the fact we didn't even qualify for the last World Champs costing BA big $$'s in funding may have something to do with it. Who was coaching then? I also find it amazing how in one breath NZ are 'a quality team' when it comes to explaining that series loss to them, and then in the next breath not worthy of playing against. Which one is it????

Reply #91542 | Report this post

Pffffffft!  
Years ago

Boti never lets facts get in the way of a good story. Did he lose a bet when Smyth was sacked?

He see's everything Smyth through rose coloured glasses.

I'm sick of his anti anything not South Australian.

its so booooooring.....

Where was his open letter to BASA?

Why hasn't he attacked BASA with the same verocity over the years as he has with B.A?

Reply #91543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pffffft! where have u been, boti has been calling for heads in basa for years, probably before you were even born, get back to sucking your thumb and stop using mummy and daddys computer to post crap.

hey i went to those games against USSR i reckon there might even be a t-shirt hanging up in my wardrobe of the big russian up againts a kangaroo those were awesome games and i would be surprised if they did actually lose money with those tours - do you have any proof that money was lost doing those tours?? doubt it.

why is it that every one is so quick to hate boti - boti keep up the good work and ignore the negative boy goorj lovers on here

Reply #91545 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

funding for basketball (for a lot of sports) dried up after the 2000 olympics. Money was shovelled in to sport so we would be competetive across the sports as host nation.

New Zealand we used to be able to beat quite easily, to a certain extent a win by 50 was to be expected.

But back in 94 we gave the women a taste of international basketball, when New Zealand qualified for the oceania sport at the Oz94 the world championships for women held in Adel/Hobart and Sydney.

Then we gave the men experience when we hosted Oz97 the world 22and under men's games in Melb. NZ again qualifying as the oceania team and Australia as host nation.

We did it again in 2000 when New Zealand again qualified as the Oceania member and Australia as host nation.

Somewhere in all of that, and with the New Zealand Breakers and including the New Zealand teams in our junior national championships has improved them out of site.

New Zealand at the Athens Olympics finished fourth. We might have beaten them in the mickey mouse sorry Commonwealth Games but they are a quality side and I expect them to finish higher than us

Reply #91546 | Report this post

Pffffffft!  
Years ago

hey along side yout t-shirt hanging up in a wardrobe(ha ha) is there latex underwear,whips, stirrups and a I love Boti blow up doll?

If you want international teams to play - you pay. BIG MONEY. You have to pay lots of money to get college teams to play here, how much for a country???

Go grow a Mo' like your hero you zero.

Reply #91547 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What are the costs involved? Are you expected to pay flights, accommodation and more?

Reply #91548 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

'Truly Scott, does playing at some second division U.S. college really prepare a kid for international basketball? Or make him more worthy than some guy busting his hump week-in, week-out in our NBL? '

I don't quite understand what he is saying.
The only college player in this team is Aaron Bruce, who plays at Baylor, who are in the Big 12, which is in Division 1&
The same Aaron Bruce that was the highest scoring freshman in the WHOLE country two years ago, and averaged 14 and 4 last year, while injured, and being the main offensive guy, so obviously getting the most attention on D.
If you want to research him, Google should get the job done, there are plenty of articles praising his game. Also, many NBA mock drafts have him there, predicting him to go next year.

The rest of the guys, even if they have attended a Div. 2 college before, HAVE played in the NBL. Now, while I don't think that Kendall, Barlow OR Hinder should be in the squad, they probably HAVE been busting their humps week-in, week-out in our NBL.

While I agree with Boti most of the time, I just wish he wasn't so narrow minded&

Reply #91553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pfffft Well playing for your country how much money do you get - oh nearly nothing (even compared to what the Aussie's get in the NBL), so that wouldnt be a lot, flights yeah that would be pricey, but that was back in the day when the league actually had qantas as a sponsor so flights were covered, so yeah there would have been expenses but I reckon given the state of the country many of the USSR boys would have paid to leave their country for some respite.

No latex, whips, stirrups or boti doll, but maybe you could tell me where you got your goorjian one, and i might just get myself one.

oh and i dont think my husband would like me to grow a mo

Reply #91554 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

'oh and i dont think my husband would like me to grow a mo'

why?

Reply #91555 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

twenty four, I think he's talking about guys like Kendall, Barlow and Worthington who are still pretty new to the league. I take it that he'd rather see guys like Cattalini, McDonald, Maher ("retired" because the Boomers trainings under Goorjian are not suited to vets), Holmes, etc.

Reply #91556 | Report this post

TG  
Years ago

#91542 - I don't think anyone is doubting NZ is a quality side and it is certainly worthwhile playing them. The main problem here is they are the only team we have played in the lead up!! Now we will get to play a couple more games, but it is just over a week to the Champs...surely not the best preparation??

NZ meanwhile went and played in South America after they played us. Why couldn't we have made the effort to go earlier and play some other tournament before the Worlds?? I know there's been a few of them as many of our direct opponents in Group C have been playing - Greece, Turkey, Brazil, etc.

Money could be a factor, but surely in an event like this, all effoft must be done to get the team ready even if it does cost $$$?? Soccer went all out before the World Cup...bigger stage I guess??

Reply #91557 | Report this post

TG  
Years ago

Sorry to do more Goorj bashing, but in response to your statement Isaac about the vets not playing because of the trainings, surely something should have been done long ago to rectify that!?

If a large number of the best players in the country don't want to play for the coach, that must be saying something!! As a result, we've filled the team with the prospects for the future. Good idea to give them experience and hopefully put us in a better position for the future. I just hope they are all around in 2008 and 2010 and ready to play?? Not signed to ridiculous insurance policies or fed up with the coach and his training methods...

Reply #91558 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To follow up on what you've said, why couldn't we have joined that tournament in South America?

Reply #91559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Qantas was a sponsor that didn't give much discounts for flights.

Then you have accomodation for BOTH teams. Plus you have a meal allowance for BOTH teams. And that is 20 people each.

Plus internal flights. And remember this was before virgin and jetstar.

Also have the cost of hiring the venue's. Plus staging games that didn't attract a lot of people, especially in Melbourne and Sydney. Remember that some of these venue's ost $30K to use.

Massive loss. Plus funding has been cut from the federal government in recent years.

Reply #91560 | Report this post

TG  
Years ago

Agreed. That or the one Turkey just played in Germany against France, Germany and Italy... Or the earlier one Turkey played against Slovenia, Lebanon and Qatar...

Reply #91561 | Report this post

The U.S has just beaten Brazil. Brazil last week just beat New Zealand. Australia tied with New Zealand, playing poorly, who knows what will happen at the Worlds - other than Boti.

Here's a report just in:

Team USA was down one & two points for a good part of the fourth quarter. Barbosa fouled out, as did the starting center, & the big kid that plays for the Cavs. With all that being said Brazil was up with 2:30 left in the game. Chris Paul had a chance to ice it at the line (USA was up 3 with 20 seconds left ... he missed both free throws!!). Brazil came down & turned it over  game over

Reply #91564 | Report this post

TG  
Years ago

Hey, I too am hoping we put up a good showing. It just doesn't look good at the moment and our preparation has been very poor.

Brazil just beat NZ - okay, the final game was 4 points, but they played them 4 times in Brazil and lost all 4, then that one game in Argentina they also lost. 0-5 against Brazil doesn't sound too close to me??

Brazil should beat us. As will Greece and Lithuania. Turkey is our make or break game unless we can cause an upset in one of the others...

Reply #91566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah,interesting how easy it is to manipulate the facts to suit the angle of the story....just like Boti does.

Reply #91567 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

anon
re the tour costs, the Boomers played in front of full houses every night against the Russians. (Sabonis, Volkov, Marchilonis,Kurtiniatis)

30k venue hire? no way. Melbourne game was played at the Glasshouse. Here it was Apollo.

It was before virgin and jetstar but was in the time of TAA and Ansett.

The only way that tour would have lost money was if the Russians were paid a huge attendance fee.

Reply #91568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kent,

Talking about the last tour which Kirilenko played in.

Reply #91573 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

#91567,

No doubt Boti runs with a strong editorial line and has an opinion about things. How is that different to the reporting on any other sport in the 'Tiser? Michaelangelo Rucci has been bagging out Port all year and Andrew Jarman is just a barracker.

There is only one basketball writer in SA. He has to do both the 'reporting' and editorialising/entertaining in relation to basketball. I am glad that he has an opinion (and often a contravertial one) because that makes his articles all that more worth looking forward to.

Reply #91593 | Report this post

Axe man  
Years ago

(#91526) Very easy to hide behind an anon. Oh sure you dont know who I am, but you sure as hell can trace my postings.

Moronic post (#91526)

Reply #91623 | Report this post

boy gorge  
Years ago

ITA - a facilitator is someone who aids an assists in a process especially in encouraging people to find thier own solutions to problems or tasks .

Gawd Damn i thought it was someone to relieve the pressure in my ass after every game .

Reply #91634 | Report this post

boy gorge  
Years ago

Nag Damn it again i forgot the d at the end of an before " assists in a process " , man i am confused . Where is my god darn facilitator when i need him .

Reply #91635 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:50 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754