Am I right?
Years ago

Coaches for next season 06/07

So with the trails coming up at all Clubs in the next couple of weeks what ar the junior coaches movements and appointments?

I have heard Trevor from North is going to coach Forestvilles 14 girls.

I have heard Boti is going to Southern to coach their 18 girls as well as his wife coaching their 16s.

Glen Shaw to do Under 12s at South with a couple of South coaches not coaching.

Anyone else heard anything?

Topic #8211 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder why the Boti's are leaving forestville, was there a falling out. Thought they were happy there.

Reply #91658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have heard this rumor for coaches next year

Boys
U12 Nyberg/??
U14 Humphrys/??
U16 Rigoni/??
U18 Gliddon/Butler

It seems that Flynn, Clarke and Vaughn take one of the three other spots. I guess there will be a press release from sturt when it has been finalised.

Reply #91659 | Report this post

Heath Jury JCD  
Years ago

Southern have made the following appointments for the division 1 boys program.

U/10 Michelle Fisher
U/12 Kim Jury
U/14 Travis Leaver
U/16 Shaun Jennings
U/18 Matt Alexander
U/20 Shane Boal/Heath Jury

Reply #91665 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Am I Right,

To my knowledge, South's lineup will look something like this :

Boys
U12s - Daryl Crump
U14s - ??
U16s - Craig Rowe
U18s - Chas McCormick

Girls
U12s - Glenn Shaw
U14s - Ryan Kinghorn
U16s - ?? (Simon Crowden?)
U18s - ??

Reply #91667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's coaching the girls teams at Southern?

Reply #91668 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Glenn Shaw staying at one club more than a year?

Reply #91671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

careful Spud!!

Reply #91689 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

any news on the forestville coaches? is Paul Arnot comming back to coach?

Reply #91723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey hoop addict, where u get ur info from seeing ur from sturt???

im from South and still didnt even know that info...

Reply #91724 | Report this post

mambo  
Years ago

U/16 coach may have a lot to do with the exodus from eagles. His priorities are country players first and foremost and his preferential treatment of country players has worn a bit thin. A good junior program wont last if the smoke about Boti and Ilze turns out to have a fire fanning it. Players and coaches can't continue to face blocking tactics indefinitely.

Reply #91727 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

That would be sad if true mambo, Forestville girls program has improved enormously since 2000.

Reply #91731 | Report this post

3-man  
Years ago

thats why south are the club that they are as they have coaches like chas mc cormick coaching the 18's!!

take that how you like??

Reply #91734 | Report this post

Am I right?  
Years ago

No one cares about the girls at Southern. Who the JCD? How typical.

Reply #91735 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Is Boti going to southern before or after he takes the Under 14 Forestville girls team to Brisbane? His last hurrah?

Reply #91740 | Report this post

Brenton Davies  
Years ago

Southern have made the following appointments for the Division 1 Girls Program.

Under 10 M Fisher
Under 12 B Davies
Under 14 A Nowak
Under 16 I Nagy
Under 18 B Nagy
Under 21 A Hodge

Reply #91753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who are the coaches for the u20 sturt men?

Reply #91756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other than Nagy who are these randoms out there????

Under 10 M Fisher
Under 12 B Davies
Under 14 A Nowak
Under 16 I Nagy
Under 18 B Nagy
Under 21 A Hodge

Reply #91759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

M Fisher is current coach,
A Hodges is Rick Hodges younger brother, uncle to Ben & Tim.
B Davies is current v/president or whatever.
Sturt u20 coach is apparently Liam Flynn

Reply #91768 | Report this post

Aloha  
Years ago

Adrian Hodges is assist. coach to the ABL Tiger Women.

Reply #91777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Mambo,

Will be interesting to see after the State Country tournament how many new players Forestville will bring in from the country. Especially down south. And how many Metro players will miss out on state again becasue they are sitting on the bench when they should be starting.

Reply #91778 | Report this post

Vee Eight  
Years ago

MAMBO & AGREE MAMBO,

What a load of crock,stop whining and blaming others for your child not being as good as you think he or she is.We all have knockbacks in
our lives,successful people accept it and get on with it.They dont make excuses but work harder to improve and take their opportunity
when it comes. So dont blame country people who have as much right to play as you do.

Reply #91790 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

(#91768)

I have not been appointed any position as yet so your info, at this stage, is false.

Reply #91800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re #91671

Perhaps that has something to do with the different ways clubs are managed?????

Reply #91810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vee Eight,

I didn't see anybody complaining about a kid getting an opportuity they deserve. But rather, country coaches doing what is in their long term interests and looking after their own players in the metro competition for their club team.

Reply #91817 | Report this post

"Agree Mambo,

Will be interesting to see after the State Country tournament how many new players Forestville will bring in from the country. Especially down south. And how many Metro players will miss out on state again becasue they are sitting on the bench when they should be starting. " unquote

yes i agree with the coaching connection they may pull a few from the SE to Forestville.
However SE is a long haul and big ask for sustained involvement and only the red hot will maintain it.

if the player is good enough they will make the cut - if not

JUST GO ELSEWHERE

mavericks are bleeding in the girls at present - find a group of like minded players and put a package to a lower club

work out what you want - it is a fact that country players get preference at certain clubs - but they usually can play and many get knocked back as well - you should refer to "SA Country" players - no just bushies

SA Country players - IMO are all worthy of playing div 1

there are more clubs than country players - so try elsewhere

the clubs policy will be stronger than individuals needs - and why not - SA country players are good value

Reply #91819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mrs bankrupt,

problem is that the coach may be looking through rose coloured glasses when viewing the relative strengths of country players. Because it is good for their local town and state teams.

In the mean time, the other kids are not developed becasue they don't have a coach for their midweek trainings and the sit behind players that other coaches think are not as good.

Reply #91821 | Report this post

frustrating - me think time to move on - nothings going to change

Reply #91826 | Report this post

just further - I would think any pro active coach would further their case by getting players involved - so find a cousin in the bush or buy a farm! LOL

if you are not in the click - nudge nudge wink wink

if you are at eagles - there are plenty of other clubs around you - just do not be surprised at the stronger clubs it is the same

Reply #91829 | Report this post

it is not unreasonable for the nagys to head to tigger land

they live down that way (I think) for a start

tigers girls programme has numbers but only mid range results - so tempting for someone with their knowledge to get involved and get them going

south may be a little dissapointed that they din't go there

Reply #91832 | Report this post

Vee Eight  
Years ago

RE # 91821

I know a lot more parents who look through ROSE coloured glasses than coaches who do.

Reply #91841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had Brad changed his name again?

Maybe not, Mrs B has better spelling but still no punctuation or a cohesive thought in all 4 posts.

Reply #91845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we have some idea at least on coaches for the "southern" teams - sturt, south, southern - how about other clubs? can anyone confirm appointments from any other clubs? or even just rumoured moves?

Reply #91849 | Report this post

mad cow  
Years ago

heard that mavs women have a new coach but not sure of name?

Reply #91851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

brenton johnson will coach mavs woman

Reply #91852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's was the North coach taking the Forestville Under 14 Girls trials?

Looked like he had half his team there as well.

Reply #91863 | Report this post

group to the hoop  
Years ago

any good coach should bring their existing network to where they are at - it may involve players

just a political minefield

Reply #91870 | Report this post

x's and o's  
Years ago

U/10 Michelle Fisher
U/12 Kim Jury
U/14 Travis Leaver
U/16 Shaun Jennings
U/18 Matt Alexander
U/20 Shane Boal/Heath Jury

Under 10 M Fisher
Under 12 B Davies
Under 14 A Nowak
Under 16 I Nagy
Under 18 B Nagy
Under 21 A Hodge

This is clearly the best group of Division one coaches at this club for some time.
Looks like things may be moving in the right direction down southern for a change.....

Reply #91872 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Going by the names and what i've seen of them, I think its the best coaching panel I've seen at Southern Tigers/NCT.

The Girls 16's, 18's & 21's combo looks damn good!

Reply #91874 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Does anyone know why Nagy's left Eagles? Facts, not rumours please?

Reply #91875 | Report this post

move has been on for ages - believe woodville was on the cards at one stage previously - but position filled

Reply #91877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I see Southern have been trying to shamooze a country coach in Victor Harbor

Reply #91885 | Report this post

:)  
Years ago

South Girls

U12s - Glenn Shaw
U14s - Ryan Kinghorn
U16s - ?? (Simon Crowden?)
U18s - Russel Barnett

Reply #91889 | Report this post

AussieMj  
Years ago

Southern Tigers clearly are on the right track also heard have nearly linked up with a powerful country program that will reap them benefits with promising quality junior country kids. Yes i agree with some post about city V's country but in the end the best player will get the spot.

Reply #91895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Port pirie AussieMj?

Reply #91897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Soutern are as close to Victor Harbour as they are to Forestville so it would make sense to have a presence down south.

Scary if they get it right and pick up all those country kids currently drving past M/V to other clubs!

They should have done this years ago.

Reply #91919 | Report this post

mambo  
Years ago

The issue is not country kids playing in a metro comp vee three and other misfiring cylinders...
The issue is where country kids play and if it helps or hinders metro kids development and in turn SA basketball.
On other threads Ive been critical of Sturts 14 and 16 girls program because they run 5 or 6 country kids, most of whom are very good players. My criticism is, that prevents the development of metro kids who are near or at the same level.
I am appreciative of the time and efort country players and parents put in and the sacrifices made to play in the city so in no way should you read this as criticism of that commitment. However we need to strengthen SA basketball and you don't do that by limiting access to metro kid's Div 1 development. In fact you half the talent pool by blocking their path.
As you will discover this is not a universally held tenet!
But with the number of country kids coming to town, my belief is that a southern club and a northern club should be nominated to field country teams in the district comp.
I don't think the eagles puting another country state coach at 14's is a forward looking step and will heighten the perception that their focus is country state especially in the girls where they have 14 and 16 covered.
As to the statement that country state players are all worthy of playing Div 1-I think this would depend entirely on the club they played with. I think their were some very unlucky metro district players in some clubs not getting Div 1 spots and Div 1 players not played enough to give country players time.
Keep your criticisms of this reply to the points not to whether or not Im a disgruntled parent. It is also not a Sturt bashing, as whilst I disagree with their country policy I am a strong supporter( replace with envious) of their coaching talent.
And finally-
Dear mrs Bankrupt : no there are NOT more clubs than players.
Mambo

Reply #91924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#91919 Scary it is I saw their junior TI squad train 2 sundays back and they are being taught some skiillls!!!!

Reply #91941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any rumours/facts from the clubs we haven't heard from yet?

Heard there may be a couple of changes to Div 1 ranks at North and Norwood - anybody know?

Reply #92000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mambo
"The issue is where country kids play and if it helps or hinders metro kids development and in turn SA basketball"
Wherever a country kid plays in district competition they will have a spot that a metro kid can not. Can you please be the one to tell my child they can't play district basketball and that they are not important part of SA basketball because they live in the country and only metro kids can develop SA basketball and metro kids development takes precedence over theirs.

Reply #92112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't agree more.

Mambo,

That sounds like blatant distrimination. They are all kids from SA. Clubs at ABA level are even flying players in from interstate. What does it matter whether a kid lives on 1 side of some imaginary border line or the other. By your thinking, Sturt should have put Jacob Holmes and Brad Hill in div 2 becasue they were restricting the deevelopment of kids that lived the other side of the line. What would that have done for basketball in SA. I am sure your argument will be that they could have played for Mav's or one of your country clubs from South or North of Adelaide. But does this mean that SA would have had more or less playrs at the AIS, in Australian junior teams or in the NBL? I for one doubt it.

Fact is they are all South Aussie kids. They all aspire to play for the 36ers and Lightning. Who are you to say that they should play for one club over another? ie a Northern or Southern team. It is simply a market place where parents have a choice to play where they feel is best for their own kids. And clubs are able to let competition dictate which players play where.

Finally, if a player does not make div 1, but plays div 2 in a team with good coaching, what is to say that they won't become a good player? Look at the Sturt 16 Boys team. Some of the best performers at 16 Nationals played div 2 last year.

Reply #92122 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:22 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754