Fish
Years ago

WNBL Refs: 3 Better than 2?

Word on the street is the Wnbl will be using 3 umpires on each game this coming season.

Good or Bad move?

More fouls called / or less?

Topic #8222 | Report this topic

John Lawrence  
Years ago

I think it could actually be a positive move. Hopefully will improve the quality of refereeing.

Reply #91822 | Report this post

Fish  
Years ago

John, why do you think it would improve the quality??? I guess more angles to see fouls - less running?

are there enough who are good enough for that level.

will they have two wnbl refs plus a aba ref in the third spot???

Reply #91828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks john for that wonderful input....

Reply #91831 | Report this post

Some Facts  
Years ago

Perhaps there will be a spot for John with more whistle blowers needed in the big time.........

Reply #91834 | Report this post

John Hopkins MD  
Years ago

It will give more umpires the opportunity to come though the system.

At the moment it would go something like ABA women ABA men, WNBL, NBL.

The standard of basketball between the 2 ABA competitions (Men's and Women's) is quite large and this is one of the first places you will find a declining of umpire leaving the system, the ones that are able to improve enough to go onto the WNBL will have that opportunity as the standard of basketball between ABA men and WNBL isn't as difficult.

Previously a large number of potential umpires would drop out as there was only a very limited progression plan in place, having the 3rd umpire doing WNBL games is a good thing. The more competent umpires will continue to mover though out the system and have the opportunity to umpire NBL as the flow though effect will take place. More umpires means more potential for better umpire to qualify.

It's a good thing.

Reply #91842 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Not convinced. There are a lot of duds reffing ABA - does this mean they will get to reff WNBL??!!! Further, has having 3 reffs in the NBL mea better quality of officiating at that level.... IMO, I don't think so.

Reply #91846 | Report this post

tony Blair  
Years ago

I get the feeling Sector 7G that they could put the top refs in australia on your game & you still wouldn't be happy

Having 3 refs in the NBL kept the Ray Hunts, Billy Mildenhalls & Geoff Weeks of the league umpiring for longer.

Surely that has been for the betterment of the league.

Reply #91850 | Report this post

big time  
Years ago

so true tony - geoff is still running around and doing a good job.
he will do it for a few more years yet imo and i am not sure if he would have been around still if there was only two on each game.

wayne maidment would be one umpire i could think of which could do wnbl with three

Reply #91854 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I think what this means (and maybe what John meant) is if there are more opportunities beyond ABA, refs would try harder and strife to reach WNBL knowing it's a stepping stone to NBL and beyond.

I think all positive.

Reply #91855 | Report this post

notbad4ashop  
Years ago

do you know the best umpiring is done from the sidelines! maybe they should have the third umpire sitting in the stand! LOL

Reply #91861 | Report this post

notbad4ashop  
Years ago

do you know the best umpiring is done from the sidelines! maybe they should have the third umpire sitting in the stand! LOL

Reply #91862 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Wayne has been up an national level before, I wonder if they would let someone have a second crack at it?

Guess it might mean some more chances for Nathan Weiland, and maybe we will see Nathan Durant crack some national league games?

Reply #91884 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

3 refs - 3 interpretations - more uncertainty - more coaches in a position to be in a referees ear (from the referee positioning in a game). The depth of referees is not good enough, particularly as money would determine how many ref's travelled interstate. Only saving grace could be to have a referee(s) fly in to say Adelaide, and do both a NBL and WNBL on consecutive nights. But are the two competitions organized enough to programme that to work? I doubt it on recent efforts.

Reply #91996 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I think that it may improve the game but there may also be more confusion with 1 ref calling 1 think and another interpreting in another. I guess we will have to wait and see

Reply #92159 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:40 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754