Hoop Addict
Years ago

Sturt & Forestville split games at Dome

Forestville started the night well, taking out the women's match73-61.

A tight first half saw the two teams head to the main break deadlocked at 28-28. It was shaping as a tough, tight affair, with neither team having held any lead of significance at any stage.

The 3rd term belonged to Forestville, as the experience of Lindsay & Ranford helped them build a double figure lead. Sturt came out blazing in the final term, hitting successive threes to reduce the margin to 6. Forestville were able to maintain their composure down the stretch, extending the lead towards the end of the match, as the Sabres had no choice but to blaze away from beyond the arc.

Ranford was easily Forestville's MVP, continually nailing mid-rang jump shots on her way to 25 points while also managing 7 rebounds & 4 assists. Neither she nor Lindsay (20 points) had a break throughout the game, as the Eagles ran with a 6 player rotation. Forestville's role players all stepped up at various stages, Fergus hitting important jumpers down the stretch, Gardner scoring 10 points & hauling 9 rebounds & Robinson snaring 9 boards, 4 blocks & 3 steals.

For Sturt, I think it was a case of things just not quite clicking all night. They fought hard & played tough D, but struggled to find the hole until the final term. Monique Bowley was a monster on the boards, grabbing 21, but missed lots of open shots, shooting 5/21 overall. Brigid found her stroke in the last Q, hitting a couple of 3s and finishing with 18 points.

Forestville were deserved winners in the end, but if these two teams happen to clash in the GF, expect a tight contest!

The men's game started in similar fashion, with neither team able to break free in the 1st half. Ng was doing his best as a 1 man show for Sturt, as he hit 27 points in the 1st half including 10/10 FTs.

Forestville threatened to pull away in the 3rd, as their girls had done, but a vital 3-4 minute period from Todd Gower helped Sturt stay within striking distance. The final term was a classic, with the lead see-sawing many times. In the final few minutes, Ng was able to shake free from the D to hit an open 18 footer, then with around 30 seconds remaining, hit an off-balance leaning 3 ball to tie the game. Sturt got a stop & Shepherd nailed 1 FT with 3 seconds remaining to win the game.

Sturt notes :

Gower was invaluable tonight. Not only were his 17 points in 25 minutes vital, his tough nosed D was superb all night. Probably the best game he's had all season.

Dodman was the 3rd cog in offense, and was Sturt's only consistent target outside of Gower & Ng. Dodman played 36 minutes, and scored 14 points to go with 8 rebounds.

Offensively, Sturt's role players struggled (Shepherd, Palmer, Smyth & Hakendorf were 6/32 combined form the field) but all contributed in other areas. Palmer was thrown onto Dix and did a good job, not allowing Dix any easy baskets, and also gathered an equal team high 8 boards. Hakendorf was solid, making good decisions, Smyth nailed a valuable 3 & ran the point in his time while Shepherd was valuable just for hitting the game winning FT!

Ng was simply awesome. 49 points total, two tough, clutch buckets down the stretch & an all-round contribution of 8 boards & 4 assists. Again showed how tough a cover he is by continually shaking free from Arnold & Sutton to get good looks in the 1st half. Took advantage of Forestville switching screens by attacking the rim against their bigs, or creating space & shooting over them. Even had a 4 point play in the 2nd Q. Looked to fatigue in the 3rd term, but found a way to hit 16 last Q points to get his Sabres over the line.

Defensively, I thought Sturt did a good job of clogging the paint, making it difficult for Dix to operate in space. This lead to guys like Wood, MacDonald-Taylor & Arnold getting some easy baskets & open driving lanes on occasion, but I guess that's the lesser of two evils.

Forestville notes :

First & foremost  I have no doubt that their persistence in switching all on-ball screens cost them dearly tonight. Ng managed to get to the line for 20 FTs, and many of those were due to guys like Dix, DMT & Hoban trying to guard him on the perimeter. I really think they need to make an adjustment when playing a guy like Ng.

Dix was quietly efficient, finishing with 26 points (10/12 FGs), 7 boards & 5 assists. I still think Sturt did a good job of restricting his output, though his stats are still impressive. Was great as an inside receiver, but didn't manage to create too many shots for himself.

Sullivan was hot & cold on his was to 18 points. Scott Arnold had a great 2nd half, finishing with 17 points on 7/9 FGs. Did a good job of getting to the hole & finishing on the other side of the rim.

Cam Wood & Doug MacDonald-Taylor were both efficient, Wood hitting some mid-range Js & DMT fighting hard on the boards.

Brenton Campbell hurt his ankle in the 2nd term & was restricted to just 15 minutes. Sutton was relatively quiet, but controlled the game from the PG position.

All up  probably one of the better ABL games I've seen. Certainly would top the charts for this year. Sturt really had to guts out a win, and everyone played their role to achieve it. Obviously Ng was outstanding, but it was a team effort, and I think their defense deserves a lot of credit. Forestville will face the winner of Norwood & Eastern tomorrow to get a shot at Sturt in the GF. If the remaining finals games are anything like tonight's, we're in for some great hoops.

Topic #8233 | Report this topic

damrob  
Years ago

Photos from both games at the Dome are now online at www.damrob.com.au

Or direct link

http://www.damrob.com.au/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=18215

Reply #91952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever wins out of Norwood and Eastern would feel pretty confident against the eagles i think. The eagles have just blown a a massive chance at this years title. Don't like their chances from here. Even if they some how manage to win next week, can't see them beating a full Sturt roster at the moment. I know they did a few weeks ago, but that was at Wayville, and on their present form and now with Cambell set to miss at least next weeks game, think they might be done.

Ng awesome! Forestville dissapointing to say the least.

Reply #91954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree, but would be good to see Arnold play a final against the team he left and thought was not good enough to get there, but did without him.

Reply #91959 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Don't write Forestville off yet. Remember it's not over till the obese heifer (fat lady) sings......

Reply #91961 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Forestville played very well tonight (a bit rough but they got away with it), that's what makes Sturt's win even more impressive. Particularly because it was virtually a one man band. I didn't know one player could do so much but Ng proved it. As for Sturt in the final with their full roster, I am not so sure about the effectiveness of Forman and Smylie given they've missed several weeks of training with the team. To be thrown in at the last minute might take some adjustment.

Reply #91964 | Report this post

D-Lin  
Years ago

Who was the last player we had in the ABL who could score almost at will like Darren Ng does?

He can get his shot off over anyone and proved it last night once Forestville switched the high screen. He had a number of shots over outstretched hands, and it didn't matter if he went left or right, the ball dropped for him.

A great display from a great player, I just hope he can do similar things in the NBL this season because he can certainly light up the scoreboard.

Reply #91976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Ng should be ahead of Hill in the Sixers rotation. I gues the only thing is he is a pure shooter when the Sixers really need a guys who can run the point which Hill is better at.

Reply #91981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rough and got away with it? Foresville didn't get away with anything...as soon as they touched a Sturt player the whistle was blown. Not excusing them at all, the better team won on the night, but I would hardly say that Forestville was rough. If anything they were soft as butter. Pathetic performance!

Reply #91984 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Did not even have to touch the untouchable on numerous occasions

Reply #91998 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ng got one lucky call near the end, but I didn't see anything outrageous besides that (though I was watching from a fairly bad vantage and I'm biased).

What a game. Went expecting Sturt to get done by 20+, was happy to see Dodman suit and get some time but the heroes were Ng and Gower. Anytime he is off the court, Gower is hobbling - he can barely jump - he's had a very average season, yet he made some nice mid range jumpers and had two other absolutely key moments:

- comes across baseline for a contested rebounded, actually getting off the ground for once, loses the ball and looks around for a second, pulls it out of a pack at his feet and hooks it in for the and-one.
- defends Dix in the Forestville backcourt, knocks the ball free for a steal and bounce pass to Ng in the paint.

Sturt looked to defend the Eagles' shooters before Dix and got over the line. The Eagles shot 54% to Sturt's 42%, won the boards and besides the 20 turnovers and missed free throws, didn't do all that much wrong.

I had said before the game that to even be a chance, Sturt would need 40+ from Darren and 15ish from Gower, Dodman and perhaps Shepherd and somehow they pulled it off. Early on, it was all Ng and a bit of Gower and Dodman, but then after Forestville got that 10 point buffer, the Sabres played a more of a team-game to get home.

As Nino said during the game, Ng doesn't heat up, he starts hot and stays hot. It's just good to watch when someone takes on a team and makes tough shots.

EC, I don't think Forman will have trouble getting back involved - even if he swaps back in for one of the Sturt roleplayers and rebounds only, that's an upgrade. It sounds like he's in good training form in NZ, so hopefully that accompanies him back in a couple of weeks.

If Norwood can win today, I could see them proving a handful for Forestville - Eagles are a very good side and the Flames are the form team.

Reply #92009 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:39 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754