jimmy de bas
Years ago

Halfway rule - take 2

Hate to be a sore loser, but I can't help but realise something in particular that happened at last night's Sturt vs Forestville mens semi.

When Shepherd was fouled with 3 seconds left and went to the foul line, Forestville called a time out. Shepherd hit his 2nd free throw, and Forestville took the ball in from the baseline.

Now, I was a part of the Southern U/20's Mens team who were famously defeated by a Molitor buzzer beater in the GF. What I don't understand is why - when we hit 2 foul shots to go up 1 after a West time out - were they allowed to advance the ball to the halfway line?

Did they get the rule wrong tonight and Forestville should have received the ball at halfway, or did the West coaching staff con the umpires into giving them the state championship? I demand an explanation... does anyone from BSA read this site? Can they comment?

Topic #8234 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like you got stiffed mate!Unless they took the time out after the free throw and then advanced to half court?

Reply #91953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jimmy

AFAIK The original interpretation of the rule from FIBA was ambiguous to say the least.

The decision taken by the referee's in your Grand Final was at the time correct going by the local interpretation.

I believe that game lead to much discussion and finally a directive from FIBA that the Time Out in that situation had to be called after the made 2nd foul shot and not before the free throws.

So to answer your question IMO the referees in your Grand Final made the right decision; as did the referees in the Forestville v Sturt game.

Reply #91955 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

What he said

Reply #91972 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

does anyone from BSA read this site? Can they comment?
Nearly everyone reads the site, though not many will often give an official response to something like this under their real name - I'd say that you can go by what was said by 91955 above though - sounds plausible enough to me!

Reply #92017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just because they read it, doesnt mean they take any notice of it. Just highlights who needs to get out more in the basketball community.... (sorry, for a minute there i thought that you guys thought that if you write that you dont like something BSA would change it cos you wrote it on hoops)

Reply #92119 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

You know I don't speak Spanish Anonymous... In English please.

Reply #92239 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I believe once the advance the ball up the floor came into play every state in Australia based its interpretation on South Australia's.

I admire the fact the person who cemented the interpretation originally as 'if a time-out is called by the defence on the foul call, and the last foul shot went in, then the ball would come in from the half way'. When FIBA later changed what was then known as "the Australian interpretation", this same person ensured that it was spread far and wide for all to read.

As said previously, both decision were correct at the time they occured.

Reply #92829 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:22 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754