Tobs
Years ago

One Umpire a disgrace

ive had a good look at ABL this season, and haven't noticed the umpires once. so well done to you all!!
BUT 2nite was beyond believe.
Poor Andy (light haired one) had his work cut out, due to some dude (dark hair) that was not up to scratch.
the crowd "booed" on more than one occasion, which generally tells you to ease up and put the whistle away.
the dark haired one did ease up in the 3rd quarter(thank heavens!!) and the game was great to watch.

BUT can u belive who decided the game??

ask Sturt if it was a foul??

PS: every player did there best to play honest defense.
what a pity that one umpire had to spoil a good night out. im not sure Sturt deserved the win. maybe Ng did??

but that dark haired dude better not get another final!

Topic #8235 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

CRY ME A RIVER

Reply #91958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when you say the crowd you mean the forestville supporters booed.

the umpires had no bearing on the game the only one who had bearing on the game was Darren

Reply #91966 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Totally agree, does any one do stats on how many calls the umps make? The light haired one seemed to make hardly any calls. Why oh why are any players who are connected to the sixers put on a pedestal where the umps are concerned?

Reply #91967 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

I've got news for you. It's about the same as its always been. Get used to it and get over it.

Reply #91968 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Let me guess are u a forrestville supporter

Reply #91969 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Let me guess are u a forrestville supporter

Reply #91970 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

had to say the questin twice

Reply #91971 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Speech Therapist for AK???

Happens all the time - gotta deal with it. Suck it up and overcome or stagnate and bitch some more.

Reply #91979 | Report this post

Tobs  
Years ago

ur missing the point boys.

i mentioned above that from what ive seen and from what im told by all the players, the umpires have been good all year - which is a first for any code.

but one umpire was not up to scratch yesterday and i felt he turned a good game into a stop start affair.

no body wants that.

nothing to do with which team i support.

Reply #91989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The dark haired ref probably wont get another final they only need 4 refs for the rest of the finals, and i dont think he is in the top ten.

However having said that, you must have been at a different game, there was definetely some honest defence but there was as much illegal defence as there was hoest defence. Whilst ues the dark haired ref wasnt as good as the other one he didnt disgrace himself as much as you.

Oh and before you say I must be a sturt support. I support either team - if I had to give you a team I support I would say I support Woodville and was there to see basketball rather than support a single team

Reply #92004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that the refs were pretty consistant all night. But I have to agree that they called alot of soft stuff which probably hurt the eagles more. having said that, the eagles failed to adjust to the way the umpires were refing. It was obvious that they were calling the slightest contact, yet the eagles didn't seem to adjust their style. Actually, the eagles didn't seem to play much D at all. Just about anyone was allowed to get in the paint. Forestville seemed to have to work alot harder for their points than Sturt had to.

Would expect to see a very physical game next week between the eagles and flames, so it will be interesting to see how they call that one. Hopefully they let the two teams play a bit more..within reason. Should be a cracker of a game...would hate to see the refs spoil it with their look at me antics!

Reply #92012 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why oh why are any players who are connected to the sixers put on a pedestal where the umps are concerned?
They're generally better players. They're generally able to exploit the defense to their advantage because they're often superior players. Easy.

Reply #92016 | Report this post

auslot  
Years ago

i went to last nights game and i thought at times the reffing degenerated particularly when darren ng was taken out behind play in the third quarter. very impressed that darren got up and got on with the job.

i like others went along to watch the game and not barrack for any particular team but when ninja got flattened by jason dix for no apparent reason behind play other than to slow his scoring up, i thought what the heck and supported sturt.

by the way where were all the sturt supporters on sat night? you would have thought it was a forestville home game with all the support the got.

first time i had been to a local game and it was great.

grand final against the eagles(if they make it) should be a cracker

Reply #92034 | Report this post

daniel  
Years ago

Yes, I agree Auslot. I can't believe someone set a SCREEN during a BASKETBALL game to get a player free! What will players do next: try to rebound, and score ...

Reply #92036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Daniel, they were both legal, and good screens, learn the rules please auslot.

Reply #92042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really dont see how an umpire can affect the outcome of a game at this level. The teams do a very good job at ajusting to the umpiring each week and after watching the game i feel that sturt were the better team on the night. The combo the coach put on the floor at any one time was designed to exploit the defences weakness and to execute down the other end, which it did. As for someone like Darren, the attention he gets off the ball is not within the spirit of the game and could only imagin the pain he would feel after most games i have watched. Good thing his father is a doctor!

Reply #92043 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Auslot - Sturt fans are generally silent. Fairly rare to see a whole lot of excitement on the bench or noise from the crowd.

You picked a great game to come and watch. One of the best Sturt games this season - they've mostly either won comfortably, or been out of the running with time to go in the fourth.

Reply #92044 | Report this post

there are evaluators at the game and ongoing discussions would take place if anything untoward is happening

the title of your thread should include IMO (in my opinion)

Reply #92053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with the Dix screen. If I was Darren, the only people I would be angry at would be his team mates for not telling him it was there. He does everything for them including winning the game basically on his own, and they can't even help him out by letting him know there is a screen there.

Reply #92057 | Report this post

auslot  
Years ago

i dont know which screen you saw but the one i saw was definitely moving and definitely with the ball going to sturts half of the court so it was in the eagles half

i would love to get a copy of the videotape that a sturt fan took and show you which one i mean.

guys i know what a screen is and i know the rules but this one should have been an off the ball foul.

oh well games over see the eagles fans in two weeks

Reply #92060 | Report this post

Flash  
Years ago

Expect to see the Nbl refs come out for the next two weeks finals now that it is money time....

Reply #92062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flash you have no idea do you

What (W)NBL refs are you talking about, Geoff still recovering from ankle surgery, should be right for the NBL to start, Carolyn pregnant.
Phil been umpiring all year
Andrew F ditto
Nathan W ditto
John C ditto
Ben broken leg, he aint doing no running up and down the court.

I would think Phil, Andrew F and Nathan W are sure things to be umpiring this week and next with John Clover & Nathan Durant to probably fight out the last spot.

Reply #92064 | Report this post

Flash  
Years ago

Anon, before you shoot me down Phil and Andrew are both Nbl and I believe Nathan did his debut last season too.
You have stated this yourself so what I was saying is you could expect to see those guys doing this weeks finals and not the "dark haired ref which is being refered to"

also you forgot about Wayne, he may get the womans final this week.

It's actualy good to see some competition for the last four spots. the ref ranks are certainly increasing.

Reply #92067 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:42 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754