hurley
Years ago

Australia beats france!

Australia has just beaten France in the boris stankovic cup 77-71!

Bogut, Mckinnon and Newley all having big games with 20, 12 and 17 respectively.... Sammy Mac made Boris Diaw SCORELESS!

Some good signs over the past 2 games, it may not be all doom and gloom for the boomers.

Topic #8241 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

where is all those Brian Goorjian haters now? Australia just beat France who have TP and Diaw who can play pretty much any position. I think he is a great coach regardless of all the crap he cops on this site. Im not saying he is better than Phil Smyth but he still is a great coach and his championships with Sydney obviously proves that.

Reply #92040 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Box score?

Reply #92041 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This might be it.

Here's a story about our loss to Greece.

Reply #92045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow starting ??!!!

Reply #92046 | Report this post

Kobe8  
Years ago

Something tells me it wasnt Sam Mac, that MADE Diaw miss all 3 of those shots he attempted. Perhaps the offense was run in a way to push Frances lesser players. Parker didnt exactly light it up either

Reply #92050 | Report this post

Kobe8  
Years ago

Oh and incase anonymous was still curious, im a Goorj hater and im very comfortably still HERE! Jury is out on Brian until the Boomers achieve when it matters, and/or he can prove the Sydney Kings didnt pay anyone under the table through those 'glorious' years of one hit wonder imports

Reply #92051 | Report this post

daniel  
Years ago

One or two wins will not change the opinions of the doubters. Even the Washington Generals eventually got a win over the Globetrotters.
Unless he has completely overhauled the offensive system and decided to make sensible substitution/rotation decisions, I know my opinion of him as coach hasn't changed ... and my loss of faith in BA hasn't changed either.

Reply #92052 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Lets not turn this into a thread about Goorjan there are already enough of them. The fact remains Australia have beaten one of the premier teams in the world, Bogut had a great game, and Newley has brought it against NBA quality players - can't hurt his draft stock for next year that's for sure.

Reply #92055 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

(#92040)
mate you are an idiot if u think we are all gonna love G###### cos he wins one game. my grandma could have taken those kings to a championship....its amazin what a blank cheque book and a creative accountant can do to help a team win a championship...not to mention BA looking the other way...Sorry (#92055), but i couldnt let that one go unchallenged...i promise i will no longer mention the name G######...

Reply #92056 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

boris stankovic cup...... big &*#$ing deal.

All of the French players played around 20-25 minutes. By my looking at the box score, Parker was the only one that did anything for the French.

Gelabale and Diaw only took three shots, along with Pietrus only taking 2. Trust me, come the real games these guys will be taking more.

It took some pretty decent shooting from our lads to get over the line, 54% from the floor and 42% from 3, but hey a win's a win so we'll take it.

Reply #92065 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I hear you TR but also note that Worthington only played 2 minutes. You know he is set to lead this team in every catergory when the worlds start and he plays 35 + mins.

Reply #92066 | Report this post

Barry who?  
Years ago

4th Spazzy and Kobe8(Dumb & Dumberer)

You seem to forget the Sixers open chequebook of the 80's & 90's. If an import dominated the Sixers were sure to buy them the next year i.e Trimmingham, Rose. All the cash from the canteens being picked up reguarly to pay players under the table. Not hard to work out why we just sold BASA.

Reply #92068 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

I dont know how anyone can be negative at all about that game, yea maybe diaw didnt put up many shots.... but the D wouldve caused that, wouldve stopped parker and got the win, and its not like the whole squad isnt made up of European allstars,... they should have got the points from SOMEWHERE but no.... Australia won! everyone acts like only the NBA players make the team, but every player for france can score! Ive seen them rest there NBA stars and not lose a beat! OPeople who say crap like "even the generals took one over globetrotters" are talking BS.... because Australia was competitive with greece only 2 nights before, so obviously things are starting to click.

Reply #92070 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Hurley, do you seriously believe that Australia has anyone that could shut down Diaw. We also don't have anyone that can go with Pietrus or shutdown Gelabale. I doubt we don't even have someone with the balls to knock heads with Turiaf outside of Bogut.

Australia individually couldn't shut down a hooker in a brothel. What we play is a decent team orientated defence with a lot of help. I think you'll find that the French experimented a bit with this game and ran some players they usually wouldn't run.

Parker wasn't stopped, he topscored for the game with 22, and we have zero guards that will keep up with him once he starts to play.

Reply #92075 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

France....pfft.
Goorj....joke.
Bogut...gold!

Reply #92076 | Report this post

Pitstop  
Years ago

What times are the women and men's GF's being played in 2 weeks?

Reply #92077 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"he still is a great coach and his championships with Sydney obviously proves that."

what do all his losses in championship series and olympics prove then?

Reply #92078 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

"Australia individually couldn't shut down a hooker in a brothel"

What the hell does that mean?

Reply #92084 | Report this post

Kobe8  
Years ago

C'mon Barry Who?, dont be dumb stay on topic, im responding to Goorj and the Boomers not the NBL and all finiancial issues over the last 20 years. Itd be interesting to compare bewtween the fines over salary issues for the Sixers and Kings though.

Reply #92086 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

thedoctor, yeah, got my things crossed up. My boss just ask me why I was talking about basketball in one of my reports when the topics aren't even remotely close.

Moral of the story, never cut and paste from email into a document, whilst talking to someone on the phone, whilst trying to write something in Hoops SA.

Reply #92089 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

TR
multi skilling was never one of your strong points.

Been to solo lately?

Reply #92098 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Goorjian has got the Aussies playing a pass and kick game. Its useless. Why not continue to get the ball into the likes of Bogut and others.

As far as Im concerned we shoot too many 3's. Yeah we do get it into Bogut every now and then but its not enough.

Plus taking one look at the Aussie roster its not hard to see what team Goorjian coaches. Bring back Phil Smyth.......and send Goorijian to America.

Reply #92155 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For those interested, USA are the easy favourites to win the World Champs (1.45). Australia are 15th favourite:

USA 1.45
SPAIN 7.50
ARGENTINA 8.50
GREECE 13.00
LITHUANIA 15.00
SERBIA & MONTENEGRO 21.00
FRANCE 26.00
BRAZIL 34.00
GERMANY 36.00
SLOVENIA 41.00
ITALY 43.00
TURKEY 91.00
NEW ZEALAND 101.00
PUERTO RICO 126.00
AUSTRALIA 141.00
CHINA 201.00
PANAMA 401.00
ANGOLA 501.00
VENEZUELA 501.00
JAPAN 601.00
NIGERIA 801.00
SENEGAL 801.00
LEBANON 2501.00
QATAR 2501.00

Reply #92158 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

Kobe8 it aint worth responding to someone like barry who ?

some people have NO IDEA!!!

although i did laugh being called "dumberer" ha ha ha ha !!!

ps...GO FLAMES!!!!

Reply #92163 | Report this post

D Brent  
Years ago

whoever it was that stated that anyone could've taken the kings to all their championships with the players they had...couldn't we say the same about the sixers championship teams also?? enough of bagging goorg, yes he has alot of kings players in his squad which i dont agree with but he is a good coach and is the best person to develop our young players. i think everyone has to realise that every coach will have his downfall, no-one is perfect.unfortunately phil is not this type of coach, so get over the fact they dumped him as head coach. phil needs teams that he doesn't really need to coach with quality big name players, hence no real success in recent times. im really not looking forward to when the big adelaide names go because we have developed no-one(unless you call bench warming development) to adequately fill their shoes. i think after this season it is time to lay phil to rest and let the real brains behind the operation..the man that sits on his left during games. apologies for getting off topic slightly.

Reply #92211 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Kent,

Multitasking on two things I can manage.

example: breathing and talking, talking and eating.

At times I can surprise myself and do three things at once.

example: breathing, drinking and talking, but sometimes on the juice talking becomes an issue, so substitute talking with swaying and you've pretty much got it.

Reply #92219 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

TR - I find that while "on the juice" my talking becomes singing - then the real trouble starts!

Reply #92230 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:51 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754