Anonymous
Years ago

Scott Derwin slams Boti Nagy

In today's Tiser:
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,20149914-5006371,00.html

BA: Not happy Nagy

August 16, 2006 05:30pm
Article from: The Advertiser

An open letter to The Advertiser's basketball writer, Boti Nagy, from the chief executive of Basketball Australia.

From Scott Derwin,

Chief Executive,

Basketball Australia.

Dear Mr Nagy,

I was disappointed to read your article on 9 August 2006 titled "Aussies worlds away".

Let me assure you that contrary to his impression, everyone at Basketball Australia cares deeply about our athletes and their performance both here and abroad. Not only are they ambassadors for our game, they are ambassadors for our nation  and we take that very seriously.

Basketball Australia is responsible for delivering a range of programs that service all communities across our country. We cater to the indigenous population, to people with intellectual and physical disabilities, to children, the youth, women, and the aged. We are immensely proud of our achievements in those areas.

Must I remind Mr. Nagy that those initiatives and the results of our national teams see Australia ranked 3 in the world by our world body, FIBA? Without wanting to rest on our laurels, we must be doing something right.

Mr. Nagy belittles our efforts to develop a legitimate rivalry with our neighbours across the ditch, New Zealand, by ignoring the crowd support evident in Hobart, which was a sell out, and in Melbourne, where over 9,000 fans filled the Vodafone Arena to 97 per cent capacity to watch the recent Resi test series.

I resent his close-minded attitude that the Australia Post Boomers team is "the lamest yet". The Boomers are led by Jason Smith and C.J. Bruton, two highly respected veterans that represented Australia at the Athens Olympics in 2004 and won a Gold Medal at the 2006 Commonwealth Games to a sell out crowd.

It includes the world-renowned talent of Andrew Bogut, the top NBA draft choice in 2005; Brad Newley, the hottest prospect of our domestic competition; Mark Worthington, the reigning NBL Rookie of the Year; and Aaron Bruce, a 2005 All-American, which means he was rated by coaches as the best point guard in the entire US college system.

Mr. Nagy also conveniently fails to mention that five of our top players are injured or unavailable for selection: Chris Anstey, David Andersen, Luke Schenscher, Steven Black and Glen Saville.

In addition, the issue regarding Matt Nielsen was not a health insurance issue, as Mr. Nagy incorrectly stated, but a contract insurance issue, which is an entirely different thing. The prohibitive cost of insuring his contract was more than that of the entire team, including Andrew Bogut.

This Australia Post Boomers team may be inexperienced at the international level, but victorious or not, we hope the experience they garner at the World Championships in Japan bodes well for the continued development of our sport and for our country's chances at the Olympic Games in Beijing in 2008.

That would be the future to which I refer. Mr. Nagy's article mentions events of 1978, 1987 and1988, but are those years really relevant? Perhaps they are, in that he has been around the game so long he has become short-sighted and maybe a touch parochial toward Adelaide.

Lean into this page so you see this number clearly: 70. That would be the winning percentage Brian Goorjian, our national coach, amassed over more than six hundred NBL games. He has also won more NBL championships than any other coach. He may be American born, but he arrived in this country in the late seventies and never left. He has Australian citizenship and is a very proud Australian. What else would Mr. Nagy have him do to demonstrate his patriotism? His contribution to our sport has been immense and is widely acknowledged by all fair minded people. He is regarded by many people as one of the most successful coaches of any sport, let alone basketball.

Rather than attacking him, I would prefer Mr. Nagy acknowledge that Brian was able to lead this team to the 2006 World Championships, whereas we failed to qualify for the 2002 Championships after being defeated by the very team he belittles  New Zealand.

And as for Brian's staff of "nine  count 'em, nine", I ask that Mr. Nagy count 'em again. There are three coaches, three sports medicine people and one manager. That's 7 by my count  and really, wants the point here anyway? When most of our major competitors have staffs of well over 10, isn't it in our best interests to have the best and most comprehensive support staff that we can to achieve success?

We hope that supporters of basketball and the general public will get behind their national team as they did so admirably when the Socceroos took on the world's best without a guarantee of victory.

Sincerely,

Scott Derwin

Topic #8276 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

ouch........

Reply #92446 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Interesting that when Derwin wants to refer to Goorjians success he can only refer to his National League winning percentage, perhaps a little embarrassed about the International percentage????

He also apologises for the fact that Goorjian was hamstrung by injuries to key players, yet that same excuse was warranted as not acceptable when they chose to force Smyth to stand down from the position, yet Derwin also acknowledges this is a more highly talented team.

My point : it's easy to manipulate facts and figures to come up on either side of the Goorjian arguement.

Reply #92448 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I look forward to Botis response...

Reply #92449 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Firstly, it's healthy that Derwim's article was printed. The absence of vigorous debate is what has led us to this lame arsed position basketball is in today.
Sure, Boti's article wasn't totally objective, but I think it reflects what many people FEEL about BA and our national team.
Phil was reamed, BA dropped the ball and failed to capitalise on the boom of the 80s, the men's team is Boy Goorj mates club, etc etc.
IMO the fans feel disenfranchised and THAT's why there is such a negative vibe about the scene.

Reply #92450 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Its nice to see that BA can read.

It is a pretty defensive article by BA, you would think that it stems from more criticism than just one Boti article. Feeling the pressure a little?

'Lean into this page so you see this number clearly: 70. That would be the winning percentage Brian Goorjian, our national coach, amassed over more than six hundred NBL games. He has also won more NBL championships than any other coach.'

And we all know who Boy Goorj's favourite fan is? BA wouldn't be Eastern States-centric would it???

I don't think Boti has EVER said that Goorjian can't coach. That would be totally missing Boti's point if that is what you take from his earlier letter. It is more about some of Goorj's methods, team selections, and narrow-mindedness in court rotations. It is also his defensive mindset game that, at NBL level, for the most part is unattractive to watch.

Agree with 7G totally though, great to see this published. Looking for it to become and all out stoush. Maybe we could arrange a main event program where Botu takes on Derwin head to head.

World Champs are 3 days off and there is still basically no media awareness whatsoever that it is on. The Soccer world cup on the other hand had received about 6 months of constant double page spreads before it even began.

Basketball will never compete unless something drastic is done and soon. Does Derwin's open letter give anyone any comfort that BA is doing ANYTHING about the situation?

Reply #92453 | Report this post

Tickle  
Years ago

Does he have his facts straight about Aaron Bruce? Can't recall him being first team All-American...

Reply #92454 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Boti and Derwin head to head. Last man standing - in a cage. Curtain raiser for the sixers opening game?

Reply #92456 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Statistics, 60% exaggeration and 70% bulls*%t....

Reply #92457 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Sturty, I have heard that 63.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other 47.6% are wrong.

heheheh.

Reply #92459 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

He was a 2005 freshman All American, not sure if Derwin knew that.

Reply #92460 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't recall Boti criticising the selection of most of those players Derwin mentioned. Derwin seems to have left Kendall and Barlow out of his response... I have a feeling that you could pop a DMac into this Boomers roster instead of Kendall and have more satisfied fans and a happier Boti.

Also, no response to the lack of touring teams to Australia on top of the NZ visit, which I felt was one of the main points made by Boti. The comments by Derwin talking about 2002 and having the veiled dig at Smyth is like talking to a Kings fan on OzHoops about it all - boring stuff.

There's virtually no strong opinion-based basketball writing in this country and when Boti gives us something, BA pops up with the ultimate plain and defensive corporate rebuttal.

Reply #92461 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

agree with everything you posted here 7G. good call.
the cage....gold!
Thunderdome style...

Reply #92462 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

This just proves that Boti's letter/article was a complete success.

Why (if Boti had it so wrong) would they want to respond? Simply because he hit the nail on the head and all at BA know he is right.

There would be more then a few decision makers at BA secretly hoping that the men fail so Gorj can finally be dissmissed.

Reply #92465 | Report this post

Ken Richardson  
Years ago

What position would we have to finish for the WC campaign to be classed as a success?

Reply #92473 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Well according to BA, FIBA has Australia ranked at #3, so surely Bronze would be the minimum requirement?

Reply #92479 | Report this post

Tickle  
Years ago

Ouch

Reply #92484 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

"This Australia Post Boomers team may be inexperienced at the international level, but victorious or not, we hope the experience they garner at the World Championships in Japan bodes well for the continued development of our sport and for our country's chances at the Olympic Games in Beijing in 2008".

They seem to be setting Goorjian up with an excuse before he even fails. That being it's a development squad.

Reply #92485 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Just checked on Fiba...
http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/misc/ranking/FIBArankingG.asp

The Men are ranked 9, the Women are ranked 3. Overall somehow with both rankings added together we are 3rd.....
WTF?

Reply #92488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The overall ranking includes juniors D85.

FIBA has Australia ranked at #3, so surely Bronze would be the minimum requirement?

Wrong again yogee. The MENS team is ranked 9, we are 3 overall. Thus, by your own post, anything above 9th would be considered a success....

Reply #92494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoops, should be:

The overall ranking includes juniors D85?

Reply #92496 | Report this post

Tickle  
Years ago

Anon: it's Scott Derwin, not yogee, proclaiming that we are ranked 3rd overall.

Reply #92499 | Report this post

tony Blair  
Years ago

I believe you will find that our ranking is based on all our teams, Opals, Boomers, Gems, Emus etc.

Each country gets x amount of points for the position they finish at world championships or in case of senior teams olympics.

then the countries are ranked by the amount of points they have ergo Australia ranks third, courtesy of strong junior teams and the Opals.

Countries like Croatia (plucking that country out of the air and only using it as an example don't shot me down in flames) may finish higher than Australia in the mens comp but it may not even have teams in the junior worlds therefore their overall ranking would be below it.

Remember that world championships and olympics are the top nations from the five zones of FIBA attending not necessarily the best 12 teams. for example Africa as a zone will always have a team at the world championships and olympics they are usually the team which finishes bottom. Majority of european nations could account for them easily but by the right of zones they are entitled to their birth.

So Australia ranked third is australia as a nation not necessarily the Boomers.

Reply #92519 | Report this post

Ken Richardson  
Years ago

Since we didn't even qualify for the last WC could we consider just qualifying this time round as a success?

Reply #92530 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

um Ken I get your drift but no IMO because we didn't have to beat NZ to qualify as they go thru courtesy of their placings at the last worlds and Olympics

personally I don't think we would have beaten New Zealand to qualify for the world's.

So qualifying when we only have to win the oceania region (with New Zealand exempt this time) is a hollow victory

Reply #92535 | Report this post

Mix Mater Wipe  
Years ago

Development squad ! makes me laugh.
How often does a team stay the same for the olympics and world champs?
Bogut is the only young player in the last ten years that has got any court time. Even with Barry Barnes in charge the Boomers were a mates club.

I hate to say this ,but i hope Australia finish last ,im really not intrested in this second rate team at all.

Reply #92549 | Report this post

D Brent  
Years ago

c'mon jacob where is your aussie spirit??!! ;)

Reply #92551 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Its pretty "lame" when uve got the sherminator starting on the court for an Australian team.

Reply #92554 | Report this post

rabbit  
Years ago

I personally dont have a problem with the squad they have chosen except for the selection of worthington who in my opinion is way overrated. Holmes in for worthington, and that is a good 12, but more to the point, a team which can bild toward hopefully a medal in 2 or 6 years time. Choosing Mcdonald would serve no purpose, it might make the difference between 6th and 8th, but what we would lose from the lack of exposure to young guards would hurt a whole heap more. Boti got schooled by Derwin IMO.

Reply #92561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Choosing Mcdonald would serve no purpose"

???????

Surely choosing McDonald would help the team to win more games then they ever will with Bruce and Kendall running the point, it's a disgrace he wasn't selected, the world championships is a big deal, you pick the best team available like every other country has. D-Mac is available, put him in the team. Simple.

Reply #92571 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Derwin: A for Corporate PR, F for Reading Comprehension, A for Missing the Point.

What's the relevance of a FIBA ranking of 3 if the Boomers (which were being discussed) have a ranking of 9? What did the mention of indigenous basketball achieve in responding to what Boti had written? Where has anyone criticised the choices of most players that Derwin named? No mention of Kendall (started throughout the NZ series) or Barlow (started in the recent games against Greece, France and China or whoever the opponents were). No mention of having paid to bring people in from the US to watch training sessions?

Reply #92572 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Actually, considering a response like this in Adelaide is really a no-win for BA, considering how irrational most SA people are about Phil, I think this is a gutsy thing for Derwin to do. It's gutsy cause he can't win the debate in the SA media. Boti's editor will be loving this.

It's actually most unlike BA. I have never seen them respond to anything in this manner and spin anything like this publicly. Their media and PR in the past has been very lame.

BTW, if memory serves me correct Phil selected Mark Nash and Ben Knight, hardly "star" selections compared to Kendall/Barlow.

Reply #92581 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HO, that was only because Barlow and Kendall weren't available at the time. ;) Nash was a questionable choice, but Knight might not have been a bad choice at the time? It was certainly slim pickings given the injuries and retirements.

I think BA responded because they're feeling the heat after the NZ series. You're right about it being a bit unusual though.

And you're also right - Boti and Editor Spirdo wouldn't be complaining about this at all. Out went the hook, and in came the surf life-saver.

Reply #92584 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Nash wasn't selected for the NZ series, he was in the squad for the tournament held before the series (in Brisbane maybe? It's a long time ago and can't really remember) but he didn't make the trip to NZ. This one gets thrown up all the time in the Smythe Goorj debate but it's flat out wrong.

Derwin's comment along the lines of "well, at lease Goojian got us to the World Champs this time round (which Smythe couldn't do last time)" is preposterous. Back then there was only room for one team from our division, we lost the NZ series and missed out. This time there were 2 places, we lost the NZ but still qualified. The point here is that both times we lost the NZ series, to try and give Goorgian credit for the fact there's now 2 spots available is wrong and confirms BA's obvious bias towards the Goorj.

Boti will tear him to shreds, especially while he (and his editor) decide what goes to print and what doesn't.

Reply #92617 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The actual roster for the series was:

Maher, McGregor, Saville, Egan, McDonald, Nielson, Melmeth, Dench, Moore, Knight.

More on that series here

Maher did well each game, but we basically had two guards and then a raft of forwards. Bizarre roster to select. Who would've played SG when Maher and/or McDonald were off? Saville?

As for Boti's retort, I don't believe he's going to bother - if Derwin can't respond to the points from the first open letter, it's a waste of time trying again.

Reply #92620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a great letter about time Boti was taken to task for the crap he writes

Reply #92622 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Anonymous (92622) boti does his job. Why cause people talk about what he writes. Which after all isn't that what a jurnalist tries to do get people talking about there artical. Isn't that good for the sport? It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree people talk about it. As for Scott he has missed the point totally and again it doesn't matter, why because we are all talking about it. Boti has done his job once again in promoting basketball. Boti keep up the good work!

Reply #92627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BC,

All reporters are doing their job, the difference is they write without the use of Scarcasm and Bias.

Reply #92640 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Isaac, you might be right about having only 2 guards, but I would still prefer to have Maher, McDonald and ________(insert name of random PG playing Div C social) than CJ, Kendall and Bruce.

Smyth probably did have the best players going around in Australia that had made themselves available for selection. Just not enough play makers...

Reply #92641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Billo,
You talk about being flat out wrong but you may need to start with yourself.
The Boomers under Goorjian won the qualifier against NZ.
Get your facts right mate.

Reply #92719 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

LOL, D Brent!

Reply #92743 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

How did this get bumped back up here?

Reply #897514 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:38 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754