Skyhook
Years ago

Aust vs Greece .. Tmrw

Has anyone looked at the Fiba stats on the Greek National team ? They are massive - average height is 6 foot 8. If you thought we were menaced on the boards against Turkey - we're in some serious trouble unless we can adjust!

2 things i would do against Greece:
Change the starting line-up to
Pg Bruton
Sg Mackinnon
Sf Worthington
Pf Helliwell
C Bogut
- what you lose in shooting by puting Sammy Mac at the 2 instead of Smith, you make up in lack of turnovers and rebounding. Worthington has shown poise IMO and deserves a spot . At 6 foot 8 he can help rebound and hit the jumper.

Open up the top of the key for Bogut to operate. His passing skills are very good and Cj can spot up on the wings and have Worthington & Mackinnon (our strongest player) slashing to the basket. Too often Bogut gets jammed up at the low block with no-one in better position to pass to with little time left on the clock.

Topic #8323 | Report this topic

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

I'd concur - but (i know this might be controversial) i'd chuck Kickert in instead of Wade... I like what Helliwell brings but he is a little too agricultural in his skills set to play 4 against quality opposition (i think highly of Helliwell and the dimension he brings to the team, he is a physical, smart, and tough player - but he is clumsy...on offence...) ... Kickert is a bonafide 4 man and i thought he played very well in the 6 mins he played for us against Brazil - he was active on the boards and defended well and he can shoot... at the end of the day i think we will need the guys to really gel and Goorjian is going to need to coach his socks off to get this one (some degree of luck would be helpfull too)... Fingers crossed...

And yeah the Greek Team's size is a worry - no-one is sub 6-4... ;(

Reply #92967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #92978 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

agreed..and J.Sack, good call..
a bit of enthusiasm and hustle which seem to be parts of Kickert's game can be contagious to the rest of the players. had not seen him play before the last tournament, he looks the goods!

Reply #92997 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:03 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754