I Hate Brian
Years ago

Does everyone agree goorjian stinks now

The guy is an absolute joke and before everyone starts saying "well they have been around the mark and its not his falut" let me just say it is fault and close enough is not good enough. Can you imagine being a player on that team and playing 30 minutes one night and rolling for 20 points playing solid D and pulling in some rebounds and then the next 2 games playing 10 and 2 minutes. Or flip it around starting and playing only 10 minutes and then the next game playing 30 minutes and have the ball in your hands when the game is on line knowing you are not good enough and the only reason you are on the team is becasue you went to the right school in the US and play for the coach loaclly but wondering why your not just in the team but why back home in the local comp you are not even starting and some other guy on the team that got rookie of the year and can actually contribute is not playing.
It would have to mess with your head and the heads of your team mates and CAN NOT be a good formula for team success. once again Brain has showed he is a joke and I HATE HIM

Topic #8344 | Report this topic

The Awnser  
Years ago

YES YES YES,SIGN ME UP TO GET RID OF HIM....!!

Reply #93245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if I would go so far as to say I hate him by one question has to be asked....WHY THE HELL DIDNT HE CALL A TIME OUT IN THE LAST SECONDS OF YESTERDAYS GAME AGAINST TURKEY? even a coach of an under 10s school team would call that!

Reply #93247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*oops I ment GREECE...I am a turkey!

Reply #93248 | Report this post

I Hate Brian  
Years ago

You are a smart man the answer who else is on board. Lets get a patition togther and send it off to BA and get his sorry ass fired. Last time I posted on this topic there were alot of idiots trying to defend him, I notice they are not so quick to get on now his true colours are exposed. I am just trying to remember some of those jokers names. I will look it up and call them out

Reply #93249 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

A board of selectors in the know needs to select a squad of the best players at each position. Guards, forwards & centres. Then they need to bring in a European coach with knowledge of the international game and he needs to pick his team with help from the selectors. Its been proven time and time again that NBL coaches are not successful on an international level.

Reply #93250 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

give us a solution then? what give Phil another crack? Im not defending Brian, but i would still take him over Phil.

Reply #93252 | Report this post

I Hate Brian  
Years ago

M dizzle you are kidding yourself there mate. I like that you clearly do not favour Brian but we dont need some european coach coming in and telling us what we should be doing. We are plenty capable of producing good players and coaches but we just dont pick em or develope them. Phil should be still coaching anyways, he has played at that level and knows what it is about and he is palyers coach which is what you need not a so called developemnt coach

Reply #93254 | Report this post

I Hate Brian  
Years ago

HO forwantof and statman. I am calling you out, where are you now to defend that idiot we call our national coach

Reply #93258 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Have to agree with m dizzle on this one. We need to work on a similar set-up to what we saw in the soccer wiith Guus. A European coach is EXACTLY what we need if we are to compete on the big stage.

Reply #93259 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not always Smyth's biggest fan, but I think he deserved more of a run than he received. Whether he would've had more success in Athens or this year, or had the same results via other failings, is impossible to say.

I think I read somewhere the other day that Goorjian wanted DMac in the squad, but that BA vetoed the choice? Here it is, from The Age:

The coach, Brian Goorjian, wanted him, but Basketball Australia said it sent the wrong message to choose an old, naturalised American when it was trying to build a team for the Olympics in Beijing.
Isn't Goorjian an old, naturalised American??

I'm not suggesting we bring in DMac, Mee, Grace and Copeland, but surely having DMac in for Kendall and alongside Bruce, Newley, Bogut and Barlow is a good compromise on PG talent and development?

Reply #93260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#93247) you are assuming he had a time out to take

Reply #93262 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He did have a time out to take. His acceptance of the blame for the loss was printed in various newspapers. A key element of that rested on the fact that they had a timeout to use, should've used it, but didn't.

Reply #93263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil should be still coaching anyways
close enough is not good enough

Can't have it both ways. By that logic, Phil shouldn't even be coaching the 36ers as he has only come "close enough" with us and dead-set failed with the Boomers, they weren't even close.

NOW, before you jump on me, I think Phil obviously SHOULD be coaching the 36ers. Did Goorj blow the game re not calling a timeout? Absolutely! Should he be coaching the Boomers? Maybe, maybe not. But I want OUR national team to succeed, not fail because I don't like the coach or his selected players.

Reply #93264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are a smart man the answer

And you are KILLING your credibility making outlandish comments like that one!

Reply #93265 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

BG is the most successful Australian coach in recent years. In the last 4 years alone he has won 3 championships and involved in all 4 grand finals. There must be more than just what the eye can see for his lack of success with the Boomers. Fewer and fewer players want to represent their country. He can't get the players he really wants and then there are problems like the insurance costs of using players like Nielsen which are beyond his control. I'm not sticking up for him but you can only do so much when you don't have the right tools.

Reply #93267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if it is Brian Goorjian that stinks or if that smell is perhaps coming from Andrew Bogut.

Reply #93269 | Report this post

madgame  
Years ago

Ok lets look at the facts Smyth loses to New Zealand in NZ with 1 player returning from the 2000 Olympic team and that player played 2 and a half minutes and lost his job while blaming no one publicly.After that NZ goes to the worlds and finishes 4th in the World better than Australia has ever done oops B.A obviously made a huge mistake knee jerk reaction in fact.Goorjan gets appointed worst result in the Olympics since 1968 nothing is done he wins gold at the Commonwealth Games wow Smyth won gold at the east Asia games against China in the final who by the way defeated Australia just recently in there tournament before the worlds before that they lost to New Zealand in Australia never happened before now they are going to have there worst result at the worlds for probably 30 years and they wont us to believe they are preparing for the olympics gee seems Goorj is gettin a hell of a lot more support from B.A than Smyth got looks like they made a huge mistake and cant get out of it without admitting they stuffed up Smyth wouldnt do it again but if he would at least we would have a coach who would care about the country and not self promote himself

Reply #93270 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Brian Gorgian has a tremendous record. He has been coach of 3 clubs that have gone broke. Why??
He assembles teams of players from all over without regard to any salary restrictions and plays a brand of basketball that, with the help of officials, puts people to sleep. His teams play a regimented style and he lacks the ability as a coach to provide an alternative for when game plan when an opposition adjusts to his style of play. See the tale of two halfs Boomers V Turkey, Sixers V Magic.

Boti's much maligned observations,about the team have proven correct. Again

Reply #93271 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Not taking away from Goorjans coaching ability at all. I am simply saying the NBL style obviously doesnt translate well to the international scene. If you want success then you need a coach who knows how to succeed in this style of game - hence a European coach.

Reply #93274 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

EC - why is it Goorjian apologists like yourself continually refer to his NBL credentials when trying to defend his International history??

Quite frankly, Goorjian has FAILED as an international coach, he needs to be replaced so he can continue doing what he is good at, coaching teams at a National league level.

Reply #93275 | Report this post

Elbows  
Years ago

The Gooj V Smyth thing comes down to personalities and coaching styles. One loud and aggressive, the other quiet and subtle. One defensive and stifling, (and I suspect the same in his treatment of his players), and the other free flowing and encouraging. Both have had young players thrive under their schooling. Both have had success in the NBL arena. For me, I'd rather have the Smyth approach, because I think the game plan is made to fit the player moreso than with Gooj's regimented style. As for M Dizzle's idea of using a European coach, I'd rather see our coach become an assistant over there in our off season and bring that game style back here for every body to learn from.

Reply #93279 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Brian Hater,

Happy to be called out.

But only on what I said, not on what you irrationally and emotionally read into it.

If you recall I did not defend Brian, I just pointed out your petty prejudices.

Will you ever answer my question so we have a perspective on which to base your arguments?

See its one thing to debate something with someone who starts from an objective view point, another to argue with someone who starts from the subjective. And there is the key - one is a debate, the other is an argument.

So...take a deep breath, engage brain, go back to your other thread, read my question, think about your answer, filter it, think about it again, filter it some more, slow down a little, write it out on a piece of paper, remove all scraps of emotional baggage and then post a response....

good luck.

Reply #93283 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Yes he sucks! Give the big A and lets get on with winning.

Reply #93288 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

BA please get rid of Goorj...so i can go back to enjoying watching the boomers play...we should be playing strong exciting basketball with the players we have available to represent australia. We are never gonna challenge for anything thing while goorj is in charge. Someone mentioned in another thread that things look good for the future, Bejing etc...things should be looking good now....we are gonna be in the same boat in 2 years if we stick with goorj. I dont know who they would replace him with....probably doesnt really matter...smythe would be great, but i reckon he would tell em where to stick it if BA came knocking...my 3 yr old niece is another option...she talks really well now and has been to the basketball once...she couldnt do any worse!!

Reply #93289 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Here is my post for the Greece Vs Aust thread. More relevant over here than there.

Does anyone else think that after the World Champs that the BA goes the same way as the Socceroo's and actually approach FIBA to get out of the lame Oceania and join the Asian confederation??? Better competition....

Also, how about again following Soccer Australia and have serious consideration of employing a coach with an proper understanding of the international game, or at least higher credentials than the NBL.

There are numerous NBA coaches that help out with coaching international squads. Is this a viable option????

Maybe at Beijing BA needs to look more seriously at a coach. Does anyone think someone like an experienced NBA head coach (or good college coach, Tubby Smith type) would make the same moronic mistakes Goorj made. Hell no!!!

Yes I'm pissed, I'm pissed that scrubs like Barlow are on the court at cruch time (let alone in the team), terrible fouls shooters like Sam Mac are still on the court when teams are fouling, simple plays like in bounding the ball seem to be random acts of stupidity and running around with your head up your butt, not being able to count how many time outs you have left.

Soccer Australia took the plunge and hired the most experienced coach they could afford, maybe BA needs to bite the big one and have a long hard look at this issue. If Goorj is the best we can get, then we are in for a whole bunch of hurt...

Goorj needs to fall on his sword and just accept the fact that the international game is not within his reach. Happy to have him ride the pine as an assistant, but as far as head coaching goes, out of his league.

Reply #93295 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Australia will never be sucessful with a NBL coach, forget it. Sorry, but we need to look outside for our coach, and Phil is not the answer.

It worked wonders for the Socceroo's, and I'm wondering if it would work with the Boomers.

Reply #93297 | Report this post

hip to tha hop  
Years ago

Do coaches win and lose basketball games? NO! do they influence them? yes. Have a look at how young our squad is! Our best player is 22 for christ's sake. He is a coach people he isnt out there on the court making turnovers and missing shots. He is the best basketball coach in australia... and if you want to argue with that im sure he has a few recent NBL championships that he can show you. Phil Smyth great player, but great coach? to a certain extent but he has always been known as the player who turned into a coach. I believe smyth is only effective coaching older teams because he has to do less teaching and less instruction. Goorj can at least do some teaching and has a better overall idea about the game than smyth. And whoever said we need a europeon coach please don't speak in forums like this again. That is one the worst ideas i have ever heard. Not only are european coaches highly unacheiving (have a look at there talent, and we almost beat the european champions!) but their style is to coach europeans players. NOT AUSTRALIANS! completely different style of game and we dont have the skill level here to change into pure shooters half court offence players. Just because of a few unlucky results people are already looking for people to blame. Give the man a break. There is no-one better than him and we should be looking at other people than him for some unlucky results. And by the way has any congradulated the boomers on there great efforts to beat brazil and have a such a close one with turkey and greece. Good on ya boys!

Reply #93299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hardly a word of commonsense in this whole thread

Reply #93301 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

hip to tha hop, your right, Goorj isn't out there turning the ball over himself, but he is leaving guys like Kendall (and Barlow) out there when they are.
In fact even picking these guys is a mistake in the first place and then it's only worse that he gives them so much time on court and freedom while on.
If you compare Kendall to Bruce and Newley, the later two make one mistake and then BANG, they're back on the bench, no matter how little time they had. Then you see Kendall turn the ball over all the time, yet he still plays more than Aaron and Brad.

Reply #93303 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Why are people so obsessed with Goorj's NBL record. Yes, it's impressive for NBL standards, but NBL is nothing compared to international.

Who cares if we nearly beat the european champs, history will always show we lost. Video will show we choked with a moronic coach leading the charge.

Nearly is not good enough. If you want to nearly win, go and play marbles and forget competative sport, we are not here to nearly win. Nearly won is a polite way for saying you lost.

There was nothing unlucky about any of Australia's loses. We stuffed up against Turkey and Greece and that's what screwed us, not luck. Luck would of been Fotsis second three rimming out and the game going to ot.

Oh, by the way, what's Australia's style. I can't damn well work it out, it changes from game to game.

Hip, if you wish to accept average and/or mediocore then I'm not going to challenge that, I guess I expect a lot more than that given the world platform we are playing on.

Reply #93305 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Hey TR - were you in Adelaide on Tuesday for work by any chance and parked a work car in Leigh St???

Reply #93306 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm not going to confirm or deny that..... Leigh Street was it???

Reply #93308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the player have not done well either. New coach is not going to make Bogut into the player he & Skyhooks thinks he is.

Reply #93312 | Report this post

Bronte  
Years ago

A pity for Australian basketball that such biased and ill-educated so-called fans can only find time to criticize rather than support. I am behind the Australian team through and through.Let's support those that are there, like the Australian soccer fans supported the Socceroos - those guys weren't torn limb from limb when they made mistakes.
Fair dinkum, give some of the guys a break! You look through strange coloured glasses! I'm a huge wrap for Newley as well for example - the kid is terrific - but he does NOT get dragged when he makes a turn over - he had 6 - yes, 6 - last night. When stacked up against his 14 points it's that good, but the kid is still great and deserves to be there. If Kendall had 14 points but 6 turn overs you lot would be calling for his head!!Bruce, Barlow, Kickert, Newley - they all performed at the camps so well they HAD to be selected - no matter who was the coach. No point having selection trials if those that perform the best don't get selected. From all reports from the camps, those kids starred so give them a chance - they are only 21 or 22 - over the next 10 years they will hopefully be stars for Australian basketball. But if you lot continue to criticize, focus on their mistakes and bring them down, we may lose them all. I am not prepared to criticize the players, any of them. Let them all learn from this experience; they have represented their country with pride and they have done their best. I am not a coach, I am not a player, just a fan of Australian sport in general. I love watching the game but I am so very disappointed at the way you guys on these different "chat sites" can only criticise. There is nothing we achieve in life without some measure of failure. Our young boomers have been terrific ambassadors of Australian sport and I am proud of them and wish them well.

Reply #93318 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

'like the Australian soccer fans supported the Socceroos - those guys weren't torn limb from limb when they made mistakes.'

Bronte, did you even watch the soccer? Do you even remember Kalac, who was dragged out and shot after the Croatia match?

Reply #93322 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I Hate Brian, (are are you actually BRAD)

Again your ranting and raving has clouded a couple of pertinant points you have made in your erratic postings.

You have 'called me out' for comments I made after game 1 of our NZ series where rather than take the popular view that "we lost so therefore BG must go" I was cautiously optimistic and indeed was looking for positives.

My personal opinion of Goorjan as a coach is that his NBL teams are successful because of relentless training and the slow grinding style that is drilled into them at the trainings. These guys play a very deliberate, physical (and in my opinion boring to watch) style of play that allows the group to win. While some of their players may not have the individual flair and talent that say a Farley, Brooks, Newley etc have, but their set team structure allows them to cover these deficioencys and 'strangle' the opposition and make the game stop/start. This enables them to execute their stuff and more often than not get the win. This is due to Goorjan having his set plan and by his regimented trainings and drills his players are able to execute it very very well.

This WC team has shown in the clutch that it has panicked in a tight situation. Sure BG should have called a settling time out at teh end of the Turkey game but he didnt - and the on court group panicked and turned the ball over. Maybe its because they are to inexperienced? Maybe they need to be together more as a group than a few 4 day camps here and there - who knows

I still belive that BG is the best coach for the Boomers in teh NBL at present. If BA wants to have a NBL coach running the national team then IMO he is the man for the job. What I think should happen however is that a new coach gets brought from outside the NBL to run the Boomers. This would stop the petty arguing of BG picking Sydney players and allow the team to be selected and coached on actual abiliy rather than potential or petty favouritism. Who this coach is however is the big question - and how much are BA willing to pay to get someone talented enough to do the job!

But back to being positive.....Before the WC started I along with most others thought we would beat Qatar and get smashed by all others in our group....while I agree that close enough is not good enough and we MUST win to be successful there have been some pleasing aspects to come out of our games so far. Im going to keep this positive attitude going for at least 1 more game and hopefully we can pull a miracle out of our ass and surprise some people (a forlorn hope I know but still I can dream cant I)

Reply #93324 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Be careful Statman, Brad can fight. (LOL)

Now I know that you are just quivering in your boots at the moment.......

Reply #93334 | Report this post

hip to tha hop  
Years ago

Did u not listen to a word i said TR? They are young they will amke mistakes and so will coaches, if your perfect or know someone perfect please point them out and they can coach or play if not, shut up and get over it! Yes Barlow and Kendall get a little more freedom on the court and get to akme a few more mistakes but goorijan knows thwem from the kings and they both have earnt his respect, not saying that newly and bruce havent (even thoguh newly was almost thrown out of the boomers for hsi poor atitude) but im pretty sure he is coaching australia not you, so lets leave the tacttical decsions to the guy who won the job. Why does it matter if NBL is anything like international, as said before brian goorijan is the best coach in australia, has the record to back it up what else do you want from a coach? I would say australias style of play is an uptempo run and gun style primarily and then if not its alot of 41 motion offence with bogut inside. Were not a team that can hit them from the carpark and has big 7 footers that can dominate with their size in the low block. Let the man do his job before we critise please!!!

Reply #93371 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

don't critise TR!!

Reply #93375 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

Sturty6ers,had to throw in his lil payout,what a tool bag!!!!

Reply #93379 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

"even thoguh newly was almost thrown out of the boomers for hsi poor atitude"

Want to quote a source for this potential slander?

Reply #93381 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

European coaches?
You may think they are not worth it, but Jonas Kazlauskas is now coach of China. he coached the Lithuanian team to the European Championship before last.
Lithuania beat Australia last night?
What more do you need?
Looks like the Chinese might be gearing up for Beijing Olympics by hiring him?
A European Coach for the Chinese? We'll see I guess?

Reply #93382 | Report this post

hip to tha hop  
Years ago

How about Newlys own quote on BA? read that

Reply #93384 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

"And whoever said we need a europeon coach please don't speak in forums like this again. That is one the worst ideas i have ever heard. Not only are european coaches highly unacheiving (have a look at there talent, and we almost beat the european champions!) but their style is to coach europeans players. NOT AUSTRALIANS!"

hip to tha hop - that is probably the most ill-informed comment ever posted on this forum. Having daid that, you are welcome to your opinion, so keep trying champ.

Reply #93386 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Hip, I have no problems with developing young talent, but I'm sorry, the world championships are not the place to experiment with 'up and coming' players.

Hence why I feel it is very important to move to the Asian confederation. More games against more and better (let's face it, NZ is our only competition in Oceania) international teams will develop players for the international arena, which will also benefit the NBL as a whole.

Kendall and Barlow may have earnt Goorj respect in the NBL, but a better coach would understand IT'S INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION, not NBL. They can school the Davidsons and the Shanahan's of the league, they can't compare to the Barbosa's and Ginobili, Wades, Lebron's of the international circuit.

If our style is uptempo run and gun then we are badly miss using our No 1 player. Since when is Goorj style run and gun?? Goorj is more grind it out style. I can't remember the last time a Goorj team played run and gun.

A quote from you hip "Were not a team that can hit them from the carpark" Why the hell do we take more 3's than 2's???? If we can't hit them, then why do we take so many??? From memory Heal ain't playing and now I actually wish he was (I should wash my damn mouth out for saying that!!!), along with Maher and Gaze. We are stuck in the 1990's and surviving with the 3-ball (we could hit it then) when we apparently can't shot it now.

We have let him do his job, we barely got over NZ, and we have chucked away two games at the Worlds. I think that's enough time to start questioning. I'm very big at questioning.

You ask "why does it matter if NBL is anything like international" I'm guessing you think the NBA and NBL are similar as well??? I'm also taking a stab in the dark that you believe Goorj would survive in the NBA. I'll tell you right now, he'd get get his arse slapped to the ground.

I conceeded in a earlier post that Goorj's NBL experience is great, I'll admit that, I just don't believe he can get it done at the international level. Sorry....

Nutwork, next time I'm in Adelaide, beers are on me.

Reply #93402 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

or is it scotch and coke nutwork??

Reply #93404 | Report this post

hip to tha hop  
Years ago

Boys i totally agree we dont not play enough international games, and playing against asain countries is only a step foward. Now you tell me that world championships are not a a good time to blood them? Tell me when you have the chance to play against the best players in the world. Right now australia is in a transitional period and we need to get these guys experienced as soon as possible. Since when is goorj run and gun? trying watching the kings play a game mate. There a team full of athletes, they run, they win, it works. were not a team that can stroke it. Name me the players that can shoot it consistently in that team. We have CJ and smith thats about it. The international game is nothing like NBL. I apologize if u guys thought i meant that. But goorji coaching ability is suited to both international and local NBL, its irrelvant because of his coaching style it what i was trying to say. And cat in the hat i have been to australian junior camps, and had coaching clinics by australias best. You have no idea what you are talking about if you think the answer to solving this problem is getting europeans coaching. There is nothing wrong with the coaching in australia guys.

Reply #93424 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

"And cat in the hat i have been to australian junior camps, and had coaching clinics by australias best."
So? This counts for exactly nothing in giving you any credibility

Reply #93428 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I don't discriminate! Yay free grog!

Reply #93454 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Noone is saying European coaches are better than Australian coaches. A European coach would just have a better understanding of how to succeed on the international scene. Lets look at the top teams bar USA & Argentina. Italy, Greece, Germany, Spain, Slovenia, Serbia & Montenegro. Now I don't know what you guys are like at geography but they are all European. Larry Brown has been coaching for decades won NCAA, & NBA championships - but he couldnt get it done and was outcoached on the inetrnational scene. The idea of an Euro coach is not a stab at basketball in australia or it's coaches, it is merely looking outside the square.

Reply #93460 | Report this post

Years ago

It's the same thing as with the soccer. We have a coach from overseas for for soccer because we admit we don't have the specific expertise required here (eg how to beat European teams). So maybe basketball in Australia should stop being so stubborn, admit that it it doesn't know everything and look outside the box for a coach with some fresh ideas. And maybe Kings players won't get favoured for positions so much...

Reply #93551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #647971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you are a dickwad clearly for starting the topic.

Reply #647979 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Pretty ill informed. One of the best coaches this country has ever had.

Reply #648322 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:25 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754