Hoop Addict
Years ago

Funny Women's ABL Preview

The Sturt Sabres secured a spot in this weeks grand final against the Forestville Eagles with a scintillating three point victory over the Southern Tigers last week.

After jumping out to a double digit lead in the first term, the Sabres' offense went stagnant in the 3rd quarter, allowing the Tigers to gain the lead going into the final term. Cool heads from Angela Marino, Caroline Nixon & the Bowley sisters got the Sabres over the line in a tight finish.

Monique Bowley led the charge, scoring 20 points and hauling in eight rebounds. Marino contributed 16 points, six rebounds and six rebounds, while Hannah Bowley hit 15 points.

The Eagles and Sabres squared off only a fortnight ago for a direct path into the grand final. In that match, the experience of Forestville proved too much for the Sabres, Dee Ranford in fine form with 25 points, seven rebounds and four assists.

Both sides will present slightly different lineups this week, with Rebecca Duke returning for the Eagles, while Angela Marino will line up for Sturt, after both missed their previous encounter due to national duties.

The Forestville backcourt consists of Lightning duo Narelle Lindsay and Ranford as well as Jess Fergus and Clair Gardner, while Sturt sports Marino from the Perth Lynx, to add to Nixon, Sonia Dametto, Kate Jolly and Sara Chapple. Ranford and Lindsay combined for 46 points in their last duel, and it will be critical for Sturt to try to contain this dynamic duo. Adding Marino will help the Sabres' scoring from the backcourt, and their offense looked great last week when they moved the ball through hands. Chapple, Jolly and Dametto will be counted on to take the tough defensive assignments of Lindsay and Ranford, while Nixon will need to be on target from long range.

The frontcourt battle between the Bowley sisters and Forestville's Tara Robinson, Kylie Newbold and Rebecca Duke is likely to tip the balance of the game. Monique Bowley shot just 5/21 a fortnight ago, and she can be counted on to put in a better shooting performance this time. Hannah and Brigid Bowley have been consistent all season and if they are able to fire inside and out, it will make for a tough cover for the Eagles. While Robinson and Newbold don't often trouble the scorer bench, their contribution on the defensive end and on the boards cannot be underestimated. Duke is a wildcard, with the ability to take control of a match with her all-round game, but she struggles with consistency on occasion.

If the Sabres are able to move the ball and work for open shots in offense, they will put themselves in a good position to take this one out. However, the Eagles have the finals experience on their side, with cool headed guards and role-playing forwards.

At their absolute best, Sturt can look the class of the league and for that, I'm going to tip them to win by a small margin, though I certainly wouldn't discount Forestville's chances.

Topic #8368 | Report this topic

AK-47  
Years ago

ok thats coool. I think that with the bowley sisters performing sturt will win but if duke ranford and lindsay play well they will win.

I think ill tip forestville
I hope they win. In the mens i think and hope sturt win.

Reply #93446 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

they both should be good games

Reply #93447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a battle of Good versus Evil.

One team is a culmination of long term club development. The other a planned recruitment drive and obvious salary cap nightmare. Lets hope for the sake of basketball that money does not overcome loyaly.

Reply #93453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or spelling ...

I don't think there are many at Sturt that would like being considered part of the 'Good' side of any battle.

Reply #93461 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:19 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754