BORING
Years ago

The WBC are on!!!

I am amazed at the non-stop Goorj bashing thats been going on. No one has really come up with a list of different players they would have taken.

Doesn't anyone want to talk about the WBC in a constructive manner? They only come around every four years, why waste energy talking about Ak-47, Kob8 teenage pimple logic? There has been some good basketball played, yes unfortunately Australia haven't finished off games but they are missing FOUR starters and came close to beating some pretty big teams while running a 6'5" 4 man (McKinnon). They are playing above their weight class but Jeez this is Australia playing, where is the support? If Smyth was coaching would they have fared any better?

If the people on this forum were true basketball fans there would be talk of Yao 'Minge' leading the scoring, Team USA playing well together 'finally', What teams could beat the US etc. The only talk is about Goorj, Jeez get over it!!!!

It seems as if some forum people would only support the Ozzies if Maher, Hambour, Ng, Gerlach and Kym Taylor were playing!

The final standings are up so who is going to the final four??

Topic #8371 | Report this topic

box me out  
Years ago

...but its Goorj! We only get to bag his coaching once a year >_> But yes BORING your absolutely correct, with the injuries etc taken into consideration the team couldn't look all that much better.

A few coaching errors, and sure we would like smyth to coach and sixers players to be in the line up but really Maher would be the only one who would win a jersey don't you think?

But instead they decided to go with Bruton as the senior leader.. which i would tend to agree with.
Purely because Maher by himself with that team wouldn't receieve the support & free nurture like he does under Smyth and fellow sixers teammates.

"If the people on this forum were true basketball fans there would be talk of Yao 'Minge' leading the scoring"
I know! I was amazed to see that. When i first saw it i forget they write his name backwards, and thought hmm do they all have the same name over there "Y. Ming and M. Yao in the same team... neat".

But yes excellent point Ming HAS shown leadership in a rather 'average' side in this competition (so you should at 7'6).

Same with Dirk Though, how can one of the NBA's greatest players with so much experience get 11 points in one game, but then 45 (or something) in a following match???

Very wierd indeed..

Reply #93464 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Anyone see that Chinese guy hit winning shot against Slovenia?

Sideline, runs to 3PT line (Bird confidence style, 2 to tie, 3 to win, roll the dice), pulls up with four guys jumping at him and ices it on the buzzer.

Defintely above average.

Reply #93466 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lots of people have suggested better rosters. Dump Kendall for DMac for one thing. Convince Cattalini to come in for Barlow even if you have to relax his trainings to get him in. Or if not Cattalini, try Holmes.

DMac/Bruce
Bruton/Newley
Smith/Cattalini/Worthington
Mackinnon/Kickert
Bogut/Hinder/Helliwell

Bit more experience, Cattalini adds some aggression, good flexibility in the guard ranks, etc.

Reply #93469 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Some suggested names:

Cattalini
Holmes
Ronaldson (I don't agree but was suggested)
Harvey
Boodnikoff
Mottram
D-Mac
Moore
Pepper

Reply #93474 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Pero Vegemite not suggested name?

Reply #93475 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Couldnt agree more Isaac. That is exactly what i would do .

Cat could still get it done at the WBC.

And while this might sound controversial, i would have dropped Hinder and given Vanderjagt a run. Hinder has been pretty timid and not played much anyway.
I dont think you lose much by running the young fella instead.
Look out for him to have a good year with Townsville this yr.

Reply #93478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Common guys.

What is the point of having Cat or D-mac in the team if they arn't going to be at the next Olympics?

Look at what Argentina did last WBC and the flow on effect of picking young guys.

This is a 3 year project and Gorj will be judged after the next olympics.

You forget that the reason Phil was dumped was becasue his lose resulted in BA losing funding from the Federal Government. Gorj hasn't yet.

And Skyhook, Vanderjagt isn't even a half average NBL player.

Next Olympics we can have a group that includes

PG Bruton/Bruce
SG Smith/Newley/Saville
SF Neilsen/McKinnon/Worthington
PF Anderson/Kicket
C Bogut/Schensher

With this tournament giving Bruce, Newley, Kicket and Worthington some valuable experience. And this group would have another Olympic and Worlds run in it with only a few minor changes over the following 4 years. With Sam McKinnon being the only guy who probablyt will retire after the next Olympics.

Reply #93482 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

In terms of the team we already have, it is disappointing to see Newley not getting the big game minutes. I have seen a desperate need to have another scroing option on top of Bogut and Bruton at times against the tough defensive teams (esp Lithuania & Greece), I would think Newley is that type of player exactly. Not going to go out there and be intimidated and will attack the basket with ferocity over anyone and shoot the three. I think he could be the missing link on offence in those big games. Barlow has no right to be getting the treatment he is getting.
Also, did anyone see last night Goorj running 4 of his Kings guys on court at the same time for a lot of the game? Seems he is not only coaching Australia but preparing to coach Sydney

Reply #93483 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Maybe Newley is not getting big game minutes for the same reason he was asked to leave Boomers training camp. Attitude.

Reply #93486 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

93482, I could ask you that same question - what's the point of having Kendall and Barlow in the team if they're not going to be at the next Olympics (as per the team you've named)? Neither even started in the full Kings roster last year.

And what's the point? Err, because we're trying to get a decent result? Surely you'd look for a balance?

You can put one or two veterans in and still allow for the development of Bruce, Newley, Kickert and Worthington. I think DMac and possibly one other would be a good compromise between developing and putting a better team on the floor.

If BA dumped a coach solely because losses meant they went without federal funding, then I think that's ridiculous. That's an arbitrary decision.

Are you saying that had the recent losses to NZ contributed to BA losing funding, Goorjian would be gone too? Doesn't seem like it - Derwin made it sound like they've got their man locked up for the next few years at least whatever happens.

Reply #93487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isacc

Kendall and Barlow have a chance to make the next olymics, whereas D-Mac and Cat don't I guess.

Maybe the experience will be what drives those guys to make the necessary improvments.

I won't argue that other guys should have made the team instead of them, or that other guys should be getting more court time in front of them. But rather the philosophy that if you are building, show they team that you are building and that if you put in the work and improve you are a chance. Rather than saying you are building but not.

Reply #93536 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

"What is the point of having Cat or D-mac in the team if they arn't going to be at the next Olympics?"

This is a ridiculous comment, it's the World Championships!!! This event is equal to the Olympics on a global level, if not even more prestigious due to the fact there's 23 other teams to beat instead of 11. As Isaac said you need to strike a balance, this isn't a warm up tournament where you pick an inexperienced squad to blood the youngsters, this is the event that they're blooded for.

Reply #93585 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

thank you billo... I've been preaching this for days and I would of had more lucky doing myself in with a paperclip and a set of chopsticks.

I've deliberate avoid posting in this thread as I made it pretty clear how I feel about the whole WBC shambles.

You can join Nutwork and myself for beers next time I'm in Adelaide.

Reply #93589 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Will do, I'll have to be in Adelaide too though, living in London at the moment!! (where there's zero WC coverage)

Reply #93608 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:26 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754