Anonymous
Years ago

Sturt ABL won't go to nationals?

Why play the Game if you guys arent sending a team to the nationals?? pretty piss weak of SA basketball!!!

(Mod: No title given, no clues provided.)

Topic #8374 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Did someone say 'Kick a Vic?'

Reply #93493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe he is talking about the possibility of both Sturt teams not attending nationals

Reply #93494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ABL that is

Reply #93495 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

You saying Sturt assuming they'll both win or Sturt have said if they win they won't go? So only way SA represented is if both Eagles teams win?

Reply #93499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if Sturt does win that Forestville will go instead because Sturt will be without Darren, Oscar and Smylie.
Not piss weak of Basketball Sa or Sturt or who ever but just common sense to me. Maybe it also indicates that teams are more interested in winning the State League rather than competing in National Finals - which again raises the question - Why are we even in the ABA?

Reply #93500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe we should start an OBL - other basketball league with WA.

Reply #93504 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

or just drop back into State League....

Reply #93512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Question is why do BA run a Championship in which a clubs juniors are:

a) Not able to play in because of NBL commitments, when over the last 5 years it has been a consistant problem.

b) Not able to play becasue a club has developed too many NBL/WNBL players and are forced to make them leave and play at other clubs anyway.

c) Have to sheel out a further $5-10K per team on extra flights, accomodation, meals, a dinner and ground transport, when BSA already pay the league $40k per year.

The sooner BSA leaves the competition and saves the $50K per year the better.

Reply #93513 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

Stop being sour,if we want national reconistion we need to play in these comps,its a good chance for some of the younger guys to be seen. And the guys who will never play any higher,its a great comp for them!

Reply #93515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have no doubt this topic has arisen due to an enquiry on OzHoops (and subsequent bagging).... but:

From what I've heard:
Sturt men are not going. Forestville men are going whether the Eagles win or not. Sturt were guaranteed entry as Central conference had the men's wildcard this year meaning top 2 would've gone. This has been passed in and will be instead taken up by the Big V.

Sturt women are going if they win. Forestville women go if they win. Only 1 spot in women's, so whoever takes the title goes.

Can't absolutely guarantee it, but just what I've heard....

Reply #93516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Awnser,

Thanks you for answering this. Now just on principle most people on this forum will think that Sturt have made a good decision just because you have argued against it.

PS What about the guys like yourself who could never play in the first place.

Reply #93524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad, Sturt will no doubt play is you pay for them to play! Sturt are struggling at the moment financially because a bean counter has shut down the stadium (yet the school can still use it, oddly enough!) and the 5-10K either may not exist or could be better spent! You pay and I'm sure they'll play.

Reply #93527 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

Withdrawing from the ABA Raised by B. Nagy earlier in the year? A Good cost cutting measure IMO. Any decline in standards if state basketball goes this way?

Reply #93530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

93527, you are a bloody idiot. You are the reason people that actually have knowledge about the game, and actually know the reasons behind isuues like this, don't regularly comment on here. It's not a cost issue, it's what is best for basketball in SA, but you are so single-minded that you could not understand that.

Reply #93531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sween

Agree. We could spend the $50k each year on doing something like developing a regonal competition. Adding an extra court onto Wayviile or Pasadena etc.

Reply #93532 | Report this post

Club President  
Years ago

I think you will find that the club Presidents have already voted that we will not be in the ABA next year

Reply #93533 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

Thank goodness did they also vote that we go back to week nights?

Reply #93541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we still want National ABA exposure why not move State league to Wednesday night and then have a rep team (maybe the academy plus a couple imports/veterans) play in the SEABL. They could even play some games at a regional centre like Port lincoln.
All players would still be able to play midweek games with their home clubs. Plus I bet the attendance at the SEABL games would be excellent given that their would be no NBL or local games on weekends over winter.

Reply #93543 | Report this post

The Early Bird  
Years ago

Greatb idea except for the Port Lincoln bit. If we were to send a rep side then I would think we would need to play our teams as far south as possible.

Reply #93545 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Club President

So next year will the district competition be going back to State League?

Reply #93548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Becasue while this is a great idea it costs to fly 1 time to Canberra. 1 time to Brisbane, 3 times to Melbourne. PLus 2 or 3 nights accomidation. Plus meals. Plus uniforms, plus a games commisioners and people to run the games. All up BASA was losing over $100k on the buffaloes.

Who is going to pay for it????????

Reply #93549 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

I don't think thats right as we vote a year in advance on being in the ABA competition . So I believe we will be a ABA league next year but its 2008 I think we are deciding on?

Reply #93552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturty6ers how about you lick a vic

Reply #93558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we actually get a wildcard by the way so two teams will be offered the chance to go.

Reply #93561 | Report this post

D-Lin  
Years ago

Kudos to Sturt for letting BA know they won't be going because their team won't be up to standard, I think it's a great decision.

We don't need to be in the ABA anymore, no team will win it. The closest we got was the Sturt team that was going to go (2001?) but the collapse of Ansett meant they didn't go. No other team has come close since then, nor will it. That Sturt team was loaded with talented players, and 50k saved to spend on grass roots basketball would be much better spent

Reply #93583 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

D-Lin I'm guessing your talking about the men as there has been a few women teams that have made the GF nationally. We just haven't won one yet.

Reply #93697 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:30 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754