Hoop Addict
Years ago

Academy Squad released

Article here

Kevin Brooks has been announced as the head coach and Richard Hill from the Eastern Mavericks will assist him.

The full squad is: Daniel Lalic, Tristan Braithwaite (Southern), Tom Rowe, Jordan Kies, Erik Burdon (North), Jeremy Read, Agel Machar (South), Tom Cioffi, Andrew Webber (Norwood), Chris Molitor, Rory Craddock (West), Jordan Dodman, Marcus Ng (Sturt), Brad Bungey (Eastern), Luke Mapunda, Gary Birmingham, Zane Reeves (Woodville), Matt Sutton, Matt Gange, Peter Hoban (Forestville).
Any surprises? With a squad of 20, I think the majority of quality youngsters are getting a go.

Topic #8379 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

good to see Tom Cioffi up there... hes done the hard yards to get there, good on him. Was also All-Star 5 at Pacific School Games

Reply #93563 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

Where is the Girls Academy??????

Reply #93575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THey dont have one for girls... are you offering to set one up kingman?

Reply #93578 | Report this post

So isn't the whole point of the Academy being a gateway to the 36ers? why then is there three 36ers in the academy squad, surely those spots could have been filled by other promising young players?

Props to gazza B for making it, that makes 2 warriors who deserve to be in there

Reply #93593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very good point ELG. Just how will the "36ers four" benefit from the Academy and attend all of those sessions and those for the 36ers?

A couple of surprises in those named and a couple of amazing omissions!

Reply #93596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who do you guys think were the players who were unlucky to miss out? And who do you think we lucky to make it? Just like to hear some opinions!

Reply #93601 | Report this post

bully  
Years ago

Good to see that Tristan made it from Southern, a great reward for working so hard and having such a great season!!!

Reply #93602 | Report this post

GANGE HATER  
Years ago

Why is Gange in the Academy. come on people. really out of all the people that have been selected this guy would have 2 be the only 1 that didnt deserve it. His attitude stinks worse then a drunk $2 hooker.

P.S Stop lickin ya god damm fingers and touchin ya shoes it makes ya look gay

Reply #93677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey Gange Hater, thats a premeirship player you are talking about. Anyone can see that he has talent, and he was awesome in some of the Acadamy games I saw last/this. Has gottn' alot fitter and quicker too over the last 18 months, and can shoot the lights out!

Don't be a tool GANGE HATER, and stop trying to bring other people down to your level.

Reply #93717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Phil Brown from Southern, Leif Burdon from North and Trent Fildes from Forestville were all very unlucky not to make it and really are part ofthe next batch of best athletes coming through. On the flip side Tom Cioffi should think himself lucky for making it, very poor attitude and while has potential, that potential has been there for the past five years and he hasn't made the most of it. The other that seems weird to me is Agel from South. Dont get me wrong i would have him in there for his sheer size, the guy was menace in the paint, but i thought there was an age limit. He has been in adelaide a while and when he came out here he was 21, and that was a good 5 years ago, so interested to see if they made an exception for him because of his potential.

Reply #93727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excuse my ignorance, but who are the Sixers in that list?

Reply #93838 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Jordan Dodman, Marcus Ng and Matt Sutton, Erik Burdon are in the sixers squad.

Reply #93895 | Report this post

box me out  
Years ago

Anon 93727

Trent fildes i agree. Love the kids attitude

Reply #94027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Spud was unlucky too. He showed he has the goods this year at ABA.

Reply #94035 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

does that mean that woodville need a new coach ??
who is out and about there ??

Reply #94140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ELG, the whole gateway path to the 36ers makes perfect sense why Sutton, Dodman, Ng and Burdon are there.
It keeps a close link with the 36ers and enables Phil and Steve to play these guys if required in the Academy games. Even if they can't attend many Academy trainings, we all know that players need game time.
I think you will find it was the same with Hambour and Gerlach in the Academy's 1st year.
All in all, a pretty good list, but agree with #93727 that those guys were unlucky to miss out (not sure who I would swap them with though).
Interesting no Centrals players although that may more about the lack of potential players than anything else.

Reply #94149 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:23 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754