Paul Arnott
Years ago

Promotion/Relegation

I thought I'd create a new thread for this topic. For those who haven't seen it, the details of Sturt's original proposal are available here.

(Note that this proposal in it's current format isn't necessarily endorsed by myself or Forestville - I just made it available to everyone to promote discussion.)

My own personal thoughts are that something needs to be done to fix the current situation in which there is a large disparity between the best and worst teams in most junior divisions, and any discussion on solutions to this problem is a step forward.

Topic #839 | Report this topic

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I agree that something does need to be done, on both the promotion/relegation issue & also the management.

Seperating the management would hopefully lead to greater attention being paid to the junior competition.

Promotion/relegation would hopefully encourage clubs to work harder to make sure they have teams capable of representing them in the states highest grade. It would also ensure that the grades are as even as possible, and make sure the best teams in SA get the best possible competition. Hopefully this would lead to better results interstate.

Reply #8997 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

give relegation / promotion a go for a while.

I feel it will raise standards of play - putting the most competitive together, and stopping less competitive teams from being flogged in inappropriate grades.

It is idealistic that all clubs are equal - they are not.

Reply #9002 | Report this post

Pro/Rel is good. Clubs working harder to develop their programs is good. More competitivenessess and evenesses is good.

The model just has to work for what pro/rel is trying to achieve and not against it. This is not the case with the model I looked at on the Forestville website. The model goes too far to the pro/rel side.

This discussion will just go around in circles just like a Boston v Pacers playoff game in the early 90s and we will just keep "arguing on the internet."

Reply #9015 | Report this post

I've just taken the time to digest the sturt proposal - and like it

Reply #9019 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Well start from the top first: are there other bigger issues that need to be resolved before something like this is discussed?

Reply #9033 | Report this post

The Big Aristotle  
Years ago

My thinking is that the idea of pro/rel is considered a good one in general pronciple. The problem will be in the detail. Here we need each club to have smoe input into what their concerns are and possible solutions to problems. Also that over time as issues arrive that there needs to be the ability for changes to occur so that abnormalities dont arrise such as 1 club have the top 8 teams or something equally destructive to basketball in the state.

Reply #9314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Sturt and Centrals Div 1 Men finishing in the last two places should they be relegated?

Reply #61838 | Report this post

Mugatu  
Years ago

Yes they should provided the div 2 other clubs teams could be them in a game remembering that the div 2 side would have to have no players from there div 1 side. eg.

Sturt and Centrals would play against the second tear west and south. These would essentially be some of their div 2 team (that dont play div 1) and the rest being their div 3 team.

Reply #61841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think that you could promote/relegate on silly season results, especially as now it is an "afterthought" to the ABL season for most clubs. Maybe do it on ABL results.

Reply #61858 | Report this post

Mugatu  
Years ago

Sorry my apologies I read my post again and the one above and yes it would have to based on ABL results.

Reply #61861 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:31 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754