Anonymous
Years ago

U18s Finals

Where's RJ? Who will win the u18s finals? RJ we demand your preview!

Topic #8418 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt and norwood favourites. South, North, Forrestville are good chance to upset teams. Competition is tight

Reply #93951 | Report this post

Bully  
Years ago

I have had the pleasure of being able to ref most of the teams against the Southern Tigers. I didnt referee their game last week though against south but i did watch it.

From what i have seen it will be a Sturt vs Norwood in the GF but the result of that game will be very tight. If Norwood can stay fit then i believe that they could cause an upset and beat Sturt. I would have to say that Sturt will win the whole thing though if they can give the ball to their big guy inside ( i do know his name i just dont wanna name him cos hes under 18).

Reply #93960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bully do you ref at M/Vale? Just curious as to what games u've seen.

Reply #93964 | Report this post

Bully  
Years ago

I do ref at M/Vale, whos asking? r uu an under 18 player?

Reply #93966 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I think it will be a North v West G/F.

Reply #93968 | Report this post

Wick  
Years ago

lol bully nice to see you were quick to denie reffin the southern v south game that wouldnt have ne thing to do with that the game got out of control from poor reffin...lol

Reply #93969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #93968 - West are about 8th, so your prediction is not gonna happen!

Bully - A Norwood GF win would hardly be an upset. Apart from State Champs they have been the best team all year. Sturt have only beaten them once, and Norwood beat them again last Friday night.

Agree on a Sturt v Norwood GF though, they are just a step above the other 3.

Reply #93971 | Report this post

Bully  
Years ago

Lol yeah exactly Wick, now ive got in trouble by other umpires b4 for naming names and i kno i should be antibias but im not really saying anything but those 2 refs did lose control of that game. In state champs i reffed a div 1 game between tigers and sturt with matt Peppicelli, wen we walked out to the court he explained to me that he wanted to keep the 2 star players in the game for as long as possible. Those 2 refs on that game didnt go into it with any game plan.

They should not have lost control of that game as both teams are fine apart from a couple of players.

Reply #93972 | Report this post

Wick  
Years ago

i play for south so i experienced the 2 refs first hand and they really had no idea...when the crowd called out someting they would call it which is stupid...and i also dont know how they had a young kid reffin the game when 5th possie was up for grabs for whoever won....so it was a big game for us and southern.

Reply #93973 | Report this post

Bully  
Years ago

I know wick but those 2 refs were doing there on court for there level 2's, myself and another experienced ref were doing the next game on that court wen one of the southern boys came up and said to us exactly the same thing as u just said, Congrats tho and good luck in the finals.

Reply #93974 | Report this post

Wick  
Years ago

yeah cheers bully, i just didnt know if the refs at m/v knew how bigga game it was for both clubs, and if they where aware of this that maybe they might have chosen some different refs...

Reply #93975 | Report this post

Bully  
Years ago

Wick, i knew how bigger game it was and i told the UIC that, but he told me that he didnt care. The thing is that cos they were both doing their level 2 on courts then they r meant to do a div 2 mens game or a game of equal quality and obviously he thought that was.

Reply #93976 | Report this post

Wick  
Years ago

oh ok then i was unware of that....i dont really mind who umpires games as long as it is all fair and consitant and unfortanetly those 2 refs on friday lost control...

Reply #93977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what a turn up for the books!! southern 18s play at mv and they lose the game. those 2 refs did an awesome job then and passed their L2 as well.

Reply #93982 | Report this post

umpure  
Years ago

hey guys i was one of those refs on the game..... we didnt pass our level 2's if it was any other game we would of...

Reply #94133 | Report this post

SomeOneElse  
Years ago

I thought for a game of that magnitude they did a reasonable job. Maybe if bully had done it, he would of been able to control it better?

Reply #94134 | Report this post

Bully  
Years ago

hey Someone else im not saying that i could have controlled it better, i may have been able to not let it blow up that much if i had refed the game, but also if the two refs had blown the game hard early then they probaly wouldnt have had that problem.

Reply #94145 | Report this post

SomeOneElse  
Years ago

The game was always gonna get tight and tense, Im not exactly sure how much control could of been gained with the circumstances surrounding the game

Reply #94153 | Report this post

Punter  
Years ago

As a neutral spectator at the game the refs did call a lot early in the game. Both teams were in the bonus. My only worry was that it was sometimes the 2nd or 3rd foul that was being called not the first contact.
The game was tough it would have to be one of the biggest crowds to a Junior Game, equal to some ABL crowds and possibly the Refs didn't quite lift with the intensity of the game. I thought they were average but by no means were they bad on the whole.

Maybe if the Tigers coach and supporters had of kept there heads and not started abusing the refs and having the game stopped to have people removed then there players may have kept there heads an not gone off at the refs.

The South parents were vocal but most of it was just in support and encouragement of there team from what I heard.

Reply #94170 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Kym Jury and the Southern supporters losing their heads and abusing refs?? What a surprise...

Reply #94178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Instead of abusing refs, Southern could have spent their time better scouting opposition timeouts...

Reply #94197 | Report this post

box me out  
Years ago

Abusing refs is probably the last thing we should be doing in todays game. I for one quit umpiring some time ago due to constant abuse, and lack of pay.

In todays game when you think about it whatever an umpire calls, 1 team is going to complain.. especially with younger refs it's going to cause a shortage in basketball umpires. Really, they have better things to do with their time to cop this crap for absolutely no pay.

So i say raise the pay of refs for starters BASA, and maybe lay off them when the game was some week ago? ^_^

I'm all in favour of refs teching players/coaches that abuse their calls. :)

*waits for abuse by everyone in this thread..*

Reply #94199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who won last night?

Reply #94581 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Forestville beat South convincingly. 67 v 35 or something like that.

Reply #94583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No surprise there. Sturt v North?

Reply #94584 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

North won by 15

Next week its Norwood vs North - Winner goes to GF and players winner of Sturt vs Forestville

Reply #94599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

52-cans

I'm sure you meant "Winner goes to GF and LOSER PLAYS winner of Sturt v Forestville.

My (early) tips : Norwood by 10, Sturt by 15.

Reply #94604 | Report this post

local  
Years ago

no your wrong mate

winner plays winner as easy as that

Reply #94632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry local, but its you who is wrong.
Winner does NOT play winner - winner of North v Norwood goes to GF, LOSER plays winner of other game. AS EASY AS THAT.

Reply #94638 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:36 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754