Anonymous
Years ago

SA Born - Interstate Made

There is often talk of players wanting to play under Phil but in reality that isn't the case.
I guess any player will always say that "oh yes I always to play under Phil". I mean he is never going to say the opposite is he?

Players the Sixers have missed or unable to retain over the years that have & will come to haunt us......

Here are five possible starters for the Sixers...

Brad Newley
Future Hall of Famer
20+ppg average

Jo Ingles
10 - 20+ppg average

Paul Rogers
2000 NBL MVP
10ppg + 10rpg

Jacob Holmes
15ppg

Oscar Forman
12ppg

Why are we unable to recruit or retain these guys???????

Why are we unable to get SA "Home Grown" players?

Topic #8443 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

We used to have almost an entire squad of SA born players, think Ali, Pearce, Mc Kay , Wood

I think the league has changed to teams looking for the right fit for the core that they have.

This year only SA born are Wheels, Brett, Darren and Brad..not including dev squad etc

Sometimes players return after getting their skill level up under different coaches ( Ninnis returned to us and into the Boomers squad)

Look at the NBA how many players do the Lakers have who were born on Cali?

Reply #94246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You answered your own questions in your opening line

Reply #94247 | Report this post

because of money $$$$$$$$
and also because they want to get better, and phil can teach them stuff but other coaches can develop them in different ways.

Phil's style is to let them be a free spirit - I guess it would not suit everyone though.

but of course mainly we have lost these players due to money and court time $$$$$$$$$

players like John Rillie, Martin Cattalini and Darnel Mee it's all $$$$$$

Reply #94248 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

hey this is a really good point, but i think if we look further than basketball it happens in alot of othere sports...e.g Football, Nathan Buckley was said to be the greatest collingwood player ever,then maybe look at Pavlich from fremantle! so maybe its our state?....Just not basketball!!!

Reply #94249 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

oh and put Koey down for 20-30 not 1020 give him a season and you will be amazed!

Reply #94250 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

oh and put Joey down for 20-30 not 1020 give him a season and you will be amazed!

Reply #94251 | Report this post

Rubish, nothing to do with our state....... In the AFL you can now be drafted any where around the country.

Reply #94252 | Report this post

Players we have recruited from out of Adelaide which have been quality:

Rillie
Cat
The russian bloke from tassy
Nash
Jerry D
Copeland
Rycart
Butch Hayes

Reply #94253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Svaldenis - quality ???????

Reply #94254 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

svaldenis, QUALITY

Reply #94255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe these players wanted to get out of Adelaide for other reasons? Sure money usually is a high factor but most people that are young want to travel and "see the world" - even if its just a move to another state!

Maybe its not Phil...maybe they have gone Ok well a) I have either had Phil as a coach - I have taken what I can from here - lets get out of SA and experience something else or b) they are young and have no committments and hope that one day they will be ready to settle down and come back to SA.

Reply #94256 | Report this post

Shuttlesworth  
Years ago

I think we lose young talented players to interstate teams because of the promise of more court time. Phil doesn't seem to give the younger guys much of a run. If Jo Ingless was to play for the sixers, he would be lucky to get a couple of minutes a game, with the dragons he will actually get some consistant court time under an NBA legend.

Also the russian bloke from tassy was Andrew Svaldennis who was Lithuanian not Russian.

Reply #94257 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

ye you do make a good point anon, every player has a different reason,and yes we do have a high number of kids leaving to make a name for themselves. why and even bothere trying to figure out why, they have so lets all get over it!!!!!!

Reply #94258 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

When it comes to locals playing in their state of origin nbl.com says the following:

Adelaide - 4 local players
Brisbane - 2 local players
Cairns - 1 local
Melbourne - 8 locals
New Zealand - 1 local (2 if you include Vukona who was born in Fiji)
Perth - 2 locals
Singapore - 0 locals
South - 4 locals
Sydney - 3 locals
Townsville - 3 locals
West Sydney - 3 locals
Wollongong - 2 locals

Locals means born or raised in the state they are playing in.

From these numbers you could assume that the traditional basketball powerhouse of Victoria is the best at keeping local talent with the 36ers next on the list. Brisban and Perth seem to be the underachievers when it comes to hanging on to talent.(Compare the breakers to a couple of years ago.)

Reply #94265 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Brisbane

Reply #94266 | Report this post

Elbows  
Years ago

ASSUMING that the salary cap is being honoured, it would come down to court time and the players perceived relationship with the coach,management and team mates. This however, does not explain how Dusty, Jacob and Oscar are all getting paid more than the 36ers offered them.

Reply #94304 | Report this post

RoadRunner  
Years ago

And if you wanted to start from the very beginning, Phil did not play for the 36ers in their first season, because St. Kilda flew him to Melbourne each w/e to play for them.

Reply #94311 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Brad, I think it's essential to find out why they leave to try to stop it in the future.

Reply #94312 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Elbows, you can't assume that the cap is being honoured. Maher said on Talking Hoops that he thought Brisbane would be spending double the cap - three players getting $750k or so. Very feasible and likely. A few teams would be certainly cheating the cap.

Ignoring the cap, other clubs can pay more for our players if they put a higher value on them. For example, the Breakers may see a bigger role in NZ for Oscar than Adelaide saw for him here.

Reply #94336 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

What so CJ's 300k to spend time at the local kindergarten 5 minutes a week is above the award wage?

Reply #94360 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I will refrain from any Tiny Pinder jokes.

Reply #94369 | Report this post

Elbows  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac, I highlighted "assuming" because I was being cynical and can't see how some teams, (eg. Tigers last year) could possibly be operating under the cap.

Reply #94460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think a lot of us need to get over this whole salary cap thing because it makes us just a tad hypocritical.
The 36ers were fined over a 100 grand from memory for breaking the cap (1994 or 95?) and our championship years, especially the back to back years we were probably further over the cap than any current team (ok, maybe except Brisbane!).

Reply #94465 | Report this post

Elbows  
Years ago

94465, The problem with your line of thought is that a club has to be INVESTIGATED before being found to have breached the cap.

Reply #94544 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:02 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754