Bo Hamburger
Years ago

New rule changes suggestion box

The world champs are on and that means all the FIBA heavies get to get together and do things like elect Australians to be FIBA president, and split up Serbia and Montenegro into Serbia OR Montenegro.

I'm guessing they also discuss rule changes. Knowing that they read this forum, let's give them some sensible and serious rule change ideas. I'll start:

- Collect every single possession arrow in the world, burn them in a symbolic bonfire and have convicted basketball drug takers (Mark Dickel, Rashard Tucker, et al) inhale the resulting smoke as their penalty. Then return to jump balls.

- To prevent Hack-A-Shaq type defense, teams who foul players who shoot less than 50% from the free throw line will be given a choice if this player is fouled and the resultant penalty is two shots (ie he was fouled in the act of shooting or his team was in the bonus). Their choice is: a) let the player take the shots or b) have the opposing team receive one point automatically, with no foul shots being taken. This puts them in a dilemma. Do they take the automatic one point hit, rather than run the risk that Shaq could hit two? Or do they gamble that Shaq will hit none?

- Dunks in women's games are worth 5.

- If guarding someone throwing the ball in, a defender is allowed to "dack" the inbounder if the inbounder is either a) a clown b) annoying or c) Damon Lowery.

- To reduce the amount of time consumed by time-outs in late-game situations (particularly if the score is close), games will now finish at three-quarter time.

- All professional basketball teams are required to install Godzillatrons in their stadiums for the high-def pleasure of spectators.

Topic #8444 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

is this a joke?

Reply #94260 | Report this post

show time  
Years ago

Mine are serious

move the three point line out in line with the Nba!!!! this will open up the game for more action and more dunks.

make it illegal to score with no defenders in between you and the ball unless - the ball is dunked!!!!!

Reply #94261 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

show time,i like the 1st idea but the second 1?? the jumball should come back,the arrow creates confussion and arguments!

Reply #94262 | Report this post

Ron Moss  
Years ago

Make bodysuits compulsory for all female players.

Reply #94268 | Report this post

box me out  
Years ago

and males.

Reply #94269 | Report this post

show time  
Years ago

Ok so the second suggestion is not so serious - I just think it would create less fast break lay up's which suck!!! but I guess not all players have the hops

how about a dunk is worth 3 points?
what do you think of that rule???

Reply #94270 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

ye i like that show time,gives something for us to watch and also gives an incentive!

Reply #94271 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Half court and beyond worth 5 points!

Reply #94272 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

hey skip, lets not change the game so much that it stinks!!!! Take the afl for example most "ledgends of the game say its CRAP these days, so I dont wanna hear Ali or Pearce or such ledgends making the same comments

Reply #94273 | Report this post

show time  
Years ago

too many times in the Nbl players get in to the middle of the lane and just give the crowd a finger role lay Up.....

I say "no more finger role layups"

arrgh

Just Slam it!!!

Reply #94275 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The Awnser

Like Bo Hamburger. Im not serious.

Reply #94278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really serious but could be good for entertainment but a 4 point line 2m behind the 3 point line but only counted as 4 points in the last 2-3 mins

Reply #94282 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Ban people taller, better, stronger than me, or people that can shoot better than me.

Reply #94283 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

Alter the back court rule so that if you throw a pass foward your team cannot be penalised.

No more time outs.There are oo many opportunities to interupt the flow of the game at the present - it is TV unfrienly.

Clock does not stop for subs. Subs work through an interchance system and are made only directly after a whistle in play.

Reply #94284 | Report this post

show time  
Years ago

since when does the back court rule work that way. If the offence passes the ball foward from the back court it can not be a violation...

Reply #94290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dr Bullshit we actually want to encourage kids to play basketball not ban everyone.

Reply #94292 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

I say that if a team calls a time-out when there is less than 2 minutes to go in a game, following the time-out, they get a free shot from the 3-point line. Even if it wasn't their ball when the time-out was called!

Reply #94296 | Report this post

MC  
Years ago

Showtime, think about it.

It is possible for that particular situation to occur...

The offensive player receiving the pass jumps from the front court, catches the ball in the air and lands in the back court.

Reply #94297 | Report this post

Elbows  
Years ago

Ban the arrow and go back to jump balls. Ban travelling. Ban interpretations. The ref. should have to call what he/she sees, not have to decide whether or not its an advantage situation or not.

Reply #94302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeh bring back the jumpballs. Feels useless when u are scrambling after the ball get a peace of it and then they get the ball anyway.. Reward the defence by giving them a chance to win the ball back.

Reply #94303 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

MC - my understanding of that rule is it would still be a violation, as the player had not established both feet in the back court before touching the ball. Granted, it has been a good 3-4 years since I have read a rule book and it may have changed in that time.

Reply #94306 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Yogee - that's exactly what MC is saying.

Reply #94309 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Bo, I have a feeling you feel your tv is inadequate...

now everyone here probably feels the same.

Reply #94321 | Report this post

Who let the 12 year olds on the forum? 3 points for a dunk? Are you serious? Go watch And1 please, leave the real ball to us

Reply #94324 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Hey Gorilla

They get days off school this time of year to go to the Show - not like in our time when it was school holidays so you could go every day!

Reply #94327 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Ban referees and defence calls fouls... (LOL)

Reply #94331 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

No real major rule changes from FIBA this time round.

Oh, and the possession arrow remains.

Australia will be the only place not using video replays to decide if a shot counts at the end of a quarter.

Most of the rest of the changes are rewordings.

New rulle book can be downloaded from the FIBA website, all updated apparently.

Reply #94348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

one change - ball lodges in basket on a shot from now on the shot clock does not reset if the arrow goes with the offensive team.

Reply #94353 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

What are they saying, the ball hasn't hit the ring??

Reply #94363 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

MC
A likely scenario that illustrates best the futility of the rule:

Team inbounds after a score and passes to a team mate near the centre of the court, moving towards the passer. Team mate receiving the pass jumps from the front court catches the ball and then with momentum lands in the back court. This is a backcourt violation.

Reply #94387 | Report this post

brick city  
Years ago

Ban the rule that if you play for Sturt you make the 36ers squad

Reply #94511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'What are they saying, the ball hasn't hit the ring??'
yes

Reply #94513 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

bahahahahahaha brick city.
Lights out for that one, or should I say 'Blackout'?

Reply #94521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let the freaking push and shove go on the post and let the big guys battle it out as long as it doesnt get out of control.

Reply #94562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The arrow rules sucks dead dogs farts!

Reply #94578 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:06 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754