Isaac
Years ago

Funny Sixers take down Crocs, 111-91

Sixers bring it home 111-91.

A huge first quarter saw the Sixers run rampant and take a near-20-point lead against the Crocs. Holmes and Farley were the answer early with support from Rychart. The crowd size wasn't too special (just under 4400) with large gaps in places but you can count on Adelaide fans to make noise at the right times and they didn't disappoint.

Farley finished with 25 and had a great alley-oop from Cooper early in the game. Holmes had around 21 and played very well too. Rychart had 20 and Maher 17. After that, I think the next best was Forman who finished with an alley-oop on the final buzzer from Maher to have 11.

The Dancers were back with a few new faces, still a top asset for the Sixers. I find no fault with their dancing but I think the outfits are a step down from last year (the second outfit used was a little unflattering even on great bodies), and the opening song was all over the place. After that, they were great -- the Sixers would have to be nuts to ever dump this group -- inventive routines and enthusiasm.

The music sounded a bit on and off (first game jitters?) but there were some new tracks included; I had no complaints and thought they were appropriate choices. Well done to those involved.

The courtside announcer returns for 2004/05 and I know a few people aren't his hugest fans, but I think he's a great pick for the job. The roving announcer was better than some past options tried, but perhaps a bit flat? I wasn't around for much of last year so maybe he's been used before -- either way, he did the job and his voice was clear (given the Dome speakers, that's certainly to his credit).

The only real change to operations is the introduction of rotating signs instead of the padded barriers beside the court. Given that one of the ads was from a signage company, I'd expect these were arranged through at least a part-contra deal. Should prove advantageous as the Sixers could run some non-sponsor advertising.

If you went along hoping for an improvement in half-time entertainment and promotions then I don't think you would've been impressed -- they had 6 months to come up with something and the half-time entertainment was a kid wandering around blindfolded. Seriously!

Back to the game! Well, the Sixers had slow and scrappy patches but for the most part they took apart the Crocs piece by piece. The team got on the boards, they contained Calvary, stopped Rillie and Rose from getting loose, and found ways to score. Farley missed lay-ups but looked like he was getting free with crossovers more than the Breakers game.

For the Crocs, Brown was in the high teens at least with some plays inside. But the guy who impressed me was Brad Newley -- second game ever in the NBL, 19 yo or something, never been to college and he played like he owned the place. 16 points in 18 minutes and he was questioning the refs, taking on Farley, got a huge dunk, etc. I always had the inkling that Holmes was the "meant to play basketball" type (you know, always is in the right spot for the boards, manages to score against whatever defense, etc), but Newley was that and more. I was very impressed, if only by his attitude!

Topic #846 | Report this topic

Boony  
Years ago

Isacc know where I can get the box score? I can't find it on nbl.com.au =\

Reply #9090 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

No box score up yet.

Try this link it should be where they will upload it eventually.

Try also changing the 229 to 230 or 231. Depends how they have ordered the games this round.

http://www.nbl.com.au/boxscore/popup.aspx?id=229

Cheers, DJ

Reply #9093 | Report this post

Boony  
Years ago

I'll try that, thanks alot.

Reply #9094 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

From the temp Sixers Lounge - http://www.users.on.net/~kaneman/sixerslounge/

Sixers Strong At Home October 6th
The Sixers tonight defeated the Townsville Crocodiles 111 to 91 at the Distinctive Homes Dome tonight. The Sixers put on a shooting clinic in the first quarter as they outscored the Croc's 36 to 23, nailing several three pointers and dominating all over the court. Early in the second quarter the Sixers blew the lead out to as many as 18 points before the Croc's started clawing their way back, whilst they got within single digits in the last quarter it wasnt enough as the Sixers cruised home for a 20 point victory in their first home game of the season.

Willie Farley top scored with 25 points, Jacob Holmes utilised the miss-matches well, as he scored 21 points, Dusty Rychart added 20 points and Brett Maher finished with 17 points.
The Croc's were led by import Robert Brown who had 17 points, rookie Brad Newley added 16 points.

Reply #9095 | Report this post

Jubes  
Years ago

Interesting points from the game:
1. Holmes played well yet he shot the ball too much, also doesnt have the confidence to go in and drive, perhaps could do without the fadeaway on most jumpers.
2. Tall defence, I liked it, I liked it a lot. The rotation of Cooper and Rees works very well, also im guessing Oscar got a lot of boards in his minutes.
3. Maher was very quiet up until the 4th quarter, he only had 10 points at 3/4 time. With the exception of the first quarter he should have shot more.
4. Rychart, what a champ, im looking forward to seeing his offensive boards stats, he was reeling them in, pity he didnt put up any 3's.
5. Minutes dilemma with Williams v Ng. Today's game proved that Williams should not be playing, he is no where near quick enough for guard, can not dribble effectively under pressure, can not defend what so ever and did not shoot at well. There were literally groans from the crowd when he touched the ball after a few minutes, bottom line he is out of his depth.
6. Rees'physical play, brilliant, just what the 36ers need.
7. Farley's shot selection was a lot better than i have seen in previous time, im guessing his field goal % was fairly good and he cut down a bit on the impossible passes.
This is just a few points i came up with from tonights game, agree or disagree its how i saw it. I was a bit disappointed with the crowd for the first home game... where has all those advertisements gone on TV for 36ers games???

Reply #9097 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Just quickly on your points, agree with them all.

Oscar did a great job on the boards, not sure of stats but he was in there alot hustling for the board.

Oh and one thing I just gotta bring up :-) Goal tend! How did the ref's miss that?

Rees was physical, got away with alot in one stretch there.

Cheers, DJ

Reply #9098 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Updated the opening post of the topic for those early-readers who might've missed the additions.

I think Oscar might've had 9 or 10 boards. Should've had 11 points but for that goal-tend, though that was hard to tell from my angle. Opened pretty slowly -- did he only have the one 3?

Jason has more than his fair share of critics but I think he's a good guy. That said, I think he had a bad game tonight whereas Darren looked far more comfortable and useful. Going on tonight's game alone, I can't imagine Jason's spot in the roster is entirely concrete, but I don't think the coaches would make a hasty decision.

I always seem to underestimate Rychart -- he just goes at it. No screwing around or considering other options; he just gets the ball and tries anything to score -- not much that's elegant about it, but it works! Very reliable over the three games to date.

As for the crowd, it was more than I expected (though I didn't expect too much) but it was the first game, school holidays and against a quality opponent featuring an SA kid and three ex-Sixers -- should've been more. Like I've said previously, full credit to the Adelaide fans for making noise regardless.

Reply #9102 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Crowd figure just in: 4398.

Reply #9104 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

All I know stat-wise for now:

Rychart: 20 points, 16 rebounds and 7 assists!

Forman: 9 points, 10 rebounds.

Reply #9105 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Another impressive performance from the 36ers. Great defensive effort to keep a high scoring team like Townsville to 91.

Townsville will be a tough team to beat this season.

Was an interesting final 50 seconds of the 3rd quarter when we took a 2 (or 3) point lead to an 10 point lead. That was where the game was won.

I agree Isaac. Newley is an unbelievable talent and a HUGE loss.

Holmes and Newley are the two best young players in the NBL.

How good would we look with Newley as our 3rd guard and Jason Williams off our roster entirely. I guess all we can do is hope that we get him back one day.

Wasn't the number 15 retired for Al Green? I know other numbers have been retired and have been unretired but it irks me seeing Jason wearing the number 15. A bit like if Gower was allowed to wear Mark Davis' #33.

The 36ers have a great history and they should be a bit more professional re the retiring of singlets.

Reply #9106 | Report this post

Boony  
Years ago

I dunno if someone posted this as I am too tired to read, but how did Newley play? What were his stats like?

Reply #9107 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boony: I was very, very impressed. 16 points. Read further up because I've already mentioned him. He played very well and most importantly, his attitude was all about confidence.

Reply #9108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the #15 (along with the other numbers that are up on the wall in the south west corner (the red singlets)) are a "wall of honour"

I think the only number officially retired at this time is 33.

Reply #9109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Box score now on nbl.com.au

Reply #9110 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cheers. Here it is: boxscore.

Farley - 25 points (9/23), 5 boards, 4 assists.
Maher - 17 (5/14), 6 boards, 5 assists.
Rychart - 20 (9/19), 16 and 7 (MVP, ladies and gents!)
Holmes - 21 (7/17), 11 boards (5 TO though)
Forman - 11 (5/7) and 10
Rees - 9 and 5
Cooper - 5 and 4

Reply #9111 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Oscar was totally robbed on that goal tend. Reverse layup touched the backboard early but was still on the way up. I thought if it had touched the board it couldn't be touched...

Newly is gonna be a star in the NBL, he far outplayed Rose and Rillie. He made a few rookie mistakes but still continued to play hard which Carfino commented on. His dunk was quality and it made me wish Holmes was doing that instead of shooting jumpers.

Crocs are gonna have some strange lineups with so many SG/SG players and only Calvary and Moore in the middle. Shall be exacerbated more when Reidy returns.

Reply #9112 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

it must have been painful to watch Jason Williams clank those 3s for ppls actually at the Dome, groans aplenty. More minutes for Ng :D

Reply #9113 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Damn, Dusty was a great 1st round pick in the SA Fantasy league. 20 points, 16 board and 7 assists is an outstanding effort and he makes it look easy.

I don't think I've seen another player quite like him who can just accumulate stats even when it appears he is not having his best day.

Jacob and Oscar gave us great contributions from the small forward position (32 points and 21 rebounds all up). Oscar is so much better at small forward than in the past when he has been forced to try and play centre the last couple of years.

Is there a better small forward combination (or one with a greater upside) than Jacob and Oscar in the league?

Reply #9116 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

It was even more painful Mark, knowing that we should have had Newley instead of him.

I agree that Ng should have taken Williams' minutes.

Having said that, Jason appears to be a great team man. He was leading the cheers from the bench and I am sure he is a good influence.

Reply #9118 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stephon -- Dave Thomas and Stephen Hoare? Saville and Rigby?

Doesn't really seem to be a big year for small forward combos -- a lot of stand out solo performers like Mackinnon, Saville, DT, Tucker, Freeman, with young back-up.

I thought that Ng was good in his minutes.

And Newley, despite being the youngest and least experienced NBL player on the court, acted like the exact opposite -- I'm curious to know where that confidence came from? Family, coaching history, food supplements even!? Any ex-coaches, family members or players want to share info?

BTW, we won the boards convincingly 66-49. They had Brown (9), Rillie (8) and Calvary and Moore with 7 each. We had Rychart with 16 (hardly noticed him getting them either! 7 offensive could've included some controlled touches), Holmes with 11 and Forman with 10. Nothing fancy with shooting, but just better than them and that was enough to get a very solid win (11 extra points from FT helped).

Reply #9132 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Advertiser: 36ers outgun Crocs (generic report; I don't think it's Boti's write-up).

NBL site: Sixers right at home

Townsville Bulletin: http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,10997165%255E24151,00.html

Also of interest: Tatts just what Kings ordered (about the new Kings import)

Reply #9134 | Report this post

Pumped-up Rookie  
Years ago

Just a couple of comments on the game last night:

I agree with everyone that Newley is a potential star. In his early minutes Farley tried to work him in the low post, but Newley barely budged. I did notice last night that he seemed like an over-zealous rookie trying to score at every opportunity before thinking about passing (highlighted by the 0 in the assists column). Obviously he'll improve that with maturity and was probably trying to impress his group of mates standing behind us. His height, athleticism and confidence are going to make this kid a star. From memory he's signed a two year deal for the Crocs and was lead there by the fact his girlfriend lives there. I hate to say it, but I hope his relationship fails and he seeks a return home. That dunk of his was huge. I'd love to see him in a Sixers singlet in 2 years.

On Dusty - how good is this guy? Never stops hustling. I did notice however that most of his offensive boards were off his own missed lay-ins. That's why we've got him back - his second and third efforts are second to none. 7 assists from your power forward is always a bonus.

Good to see us dominate on the boards last night. Lets hope we can do the same against the bigger teams like Melbourne and Hunter.

Go Sixers!

Reply #9165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anyone see Dusty stack it behind play? HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Reply #9167 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

He always had that confidence when he played Isaac, and in U18s when he became THE dominant player, that natural knowledge that he could do the impossible, turn a game individually. He's a star and we BLEW it. His number will be retired by Townsville. He's been THE man at the AIS for the past year, so that experience would have added to his ability to handle pressure and the opposition's best defender.

Reply #9187 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I think Newley was more inclined to go to Townsville due to Ian Stacker's reputation as a coach who develops younger players.

Whatever the reason, he's gone & it's Adelaide's loss!

I remember him as a top age U18 playing for Forestville. Was clearly a class above everyone else in the state that year and that was a strong group... Burdon, Kies, Webber, Dubinecki, Benson along with Kersten, Wood & Hill as bottom ages. Newley stood out at Nationals too, he averaged close to 25ppg and along with Markovic (ROY in NBL last year) was a cut above the rest.

Definitley a shame that he slipped through the 36ers fingers. Would have fit in well this year too, could have taken Nash's spot (albeit a different player) and would have probably shot any chance Jason Williams had of getting any court time.

Oh well!

Reply #9189 | Report this post

:-)  
Years ago

Well.. well.. well.. I think i might just add to this thread of newley praise. He is easily the most talented rookie this country has seen in a fair while. Good height, great athletisism, excellent handles and superb touch!! And he makes the experienced players around him look like rookies...
Good Luck to him wherever he plays!!
Bad Luck Sixers, because i've seen him play alot as well as played against him and i'm pretty confident that he will NOT stop improving!

Reply #9260 | Report this post

Boony  
Years ago

Amen

Reply #9285 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

I thought it was a great display. Adelaide came out on fire (particularly Homles and Farley). Oscar was great, though the stats have given him 2 points too many (he had 9, Cooper had 7). O is looking much better playing the 2 forward spots instead of the centre like last year.

Cooper is a great fit, the kind of player we have needed coming off our bench for several years now. And if you are going to wear David Stiff's number you might as well miss at least half of your free throughs!

A 2-1 start is great, expecially when considering the context of the loss, and the fact that Brett Maher (while playing well) hasn't yet caught fire this season.

The loss of Mark Nash is a big bonus, his indecisive nature would kill the fluency of the current line up. Personally I don't think there is a huge hurry to sign anyone else. We are now loaded up front and Ng should hopefully be able to cover the 10-15 minutes per game not occupied by Maher and Farley at guard. Wait and see how Rees and Forman perform in the next month and then make a move, at which point Derek Moore would be a great fit.

Jesus, Jason Williams might be a great team man and a nice guy but what is he honestly going to give the team on court? He had a good game in NZ but what the hell was he thinking on Wednesday?

Reply #9373 | Report this post

Joe Shmoe  
Years ago

well done 6ers - i think smyth coached pretty well and is often overlooked...unlike some occasions, he made the right moves, had the right line-ups and showed confidence in his players...newly will be a star, bad luck to us and yes williams has to go....what is this his 5th 6th season? and he is still 8th 9th man...sorry man...but uve had plenty of chances.

Reply #9413 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:45 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754