Anonymous
Years ago

Kobe: 8 to 24

Anyone know why Kobe changed his number to 24?

Topic #8474 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

(24) 2 x 4 = 8 his old number

no i think it was a personal reason and the number 24 is special to him in some way

Reply #94624 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

I thought it was a relatives number, I think it was his dad's but I'm not sure.

Reply #94625 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Its the number he wore in High School before he switched to 33 because that was the number his dad wore.
He couldnt have 33 when he joined the lakers as it had been retired by Kareem.
Bryant arrived at the No. 8 for two reasons. It was the number he wore when he was a kid playing in Italy. It also tied into the number he wore at Adidas' ABCD Camp, 143. The numbers add up to 8.

The exact reason for the change I dont believe is known. My fisrt thought would be the revenue generated by everyone having to buy a new singlet....

Reply #94627 | Report this post

Years ago

There might be less than meets the eye with Kobe on some thing. Maybe he just wanted to go back to 24 because he wore it in high school for a time. It could just be that simple.

Reply #94634 | Report this post

Matt W  
Years ago

its also one more than MJ's number.... think what you will

Reply #94640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and 81 is 18 more than jordan ever scored in a game.

Reply #94655 | Report this post

Amare changed his number to number 1, that's more important i feel.

Reply #94686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

didn't know that

cheers eastern lowland gorilla

Reply #94715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 94655 Jordan scored 69 points in a game vs Cleveland back in 1990 so lets see.....

81-69=?????? 12!! Not 18 mate.

Reply #94801 | Report this post

sam  
Years ago

doesnt matter, hes still a gun...
and the best basketball player in the world.

Reply #94815 | Report this post

Years ago

The last player to wear #1 for Phoenix before Amare Stoudamire? Penny Hardaway, who was never the same after knee troubles...

Reply #94821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does matter sam you School kids come on here pretending you know all about basketball and the fact is, you dont.

Reply #94831 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Kobe is the best shooter in the world, not the best basketballer. I believe there are a few better, that play better D, work better with their team etc etc. basketball inst just scoring.

Reply #94876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha there is no comparison between jordan and kobe. who cares who scored more in a match. look at the hard facts.

Jordan:
Six-time NBA champion (1991-93, 1996-98); NBA MVP (1988, '91, '92, '96, '98); 10-time All-NBA First Team (1987-93, 1996-98); Defensive Player of the Year (1988); Nine-time All-Defensive First Team (1988-93, 1996-98); Rookie of the Year (1985); 14-time All-Star; All-Star MVP (1988, '96, '98); One of 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996); Two-time Olympic gold medalist (1984, '92).

when you have a stats like that, start comparing the two, not just how many points he scores.

Reply #95062 | Report this post

The Hamma  
Years ago

ELG has amare changed his number or is that just the number he wore in The Summerleague

Reply #95101 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

He has changed his number to 1, he said he was going to at the end of last season

Reply #95106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i heard he changed his number because he wanted to be 1 better than Michael Jordan, pity that isnt true & he will never come close. he'll NEVER win a ring byhimself with the lakers A PRETENDER HE IS!!!!

Reply #100665 | Report this post

Years ago

Maybe it's how many seasons Kobe figures the Lakers will take to win a championship without him LOL j/k.

I read somewhere it was what was said above ... and as for STAT ... yep he said at the end of last season he was changing to 1. Bring it on!

Reply #101138 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:15 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754