Frank Costanza
Years ago

Chad Ford's Assessment of Newley

Brad Newley, SG, Australia (currently ranked No. 73)
Stats at Worlds: 20.5 mpg, 8.2 ppg, 46-percent shooting, 43 percent from 3

Newley declared for the 2006 NBA draft, worked out for a half-dozen teams and played in the Orlando pre-draft camp this spring. Scouts raved about his toughness, basketball savvy and his quickness off the dribble. However, he was unable to distinguish himself at the draft camp and made a quick decision to pull out of the draft and try things again next season.

I personally was impressed with what I saw over a one-week period of his training at Tim Grover's ATTACK Athletics in Chicago alongside Shannon Brown, Rajon Rondo, Dee Brown and other top prospects. While the game was clearly more uptempo than what he was used to, he fit in.

Newley made another important step toward the NBA this summer with a solid performance for Australia. Like several of the other prospects on the list, his best game was also against the U.S. He posted 15 points and knocked down three 3-pointers against the U.S. in a blowout loss.

Another year fine-tuning his jump shot and another spring getting acclimated to the speed of the NBA and Newley is a likely second-round pick with a shot at the late first round.

Topic #8519 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

gotta be happy with that assessment

Reply #95173 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

Not bad, have to admit that Newley has improvbed since he got back from the camps and played for the boomers.... his three is now consistant and I think that he will be in the NBA... just a matter of time.

Reply #95205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never made NBA but was drafted.
Still one of the better Aussies not to make the show.

Reply #806337 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:15 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754