Jazz
Years ago

Season Start Date

Is it just me or does this seem like a really bad time to start the NBL season.
AFL and NRL Finals are in full swing and getting all the media attention.
You would think starting the season in the 2nd week of Oct would be better. Finals would be over so hopefully more media coverage.
Any ideas why they start the season at this time and any problems with delaying it until after the footy finals?

Topic #8581 | Report this topic

Sir Swish  
Years ago

Jazz.....they had to move the season forward as a result of the Commonwealth Games taking place in March.

Reply #95913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what you are smoking Sir Swish (is that you Darryl) but this coming season that Jazz is talking about is not affected by the commonwealth games at all, they were 6 months ago (unless they have decided to move the Delhi games forward 3 years)

Reply #95916 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

yeah, I too aint sure what you mean Sir Swish, but I do agree that the season should be moved back to start in the 1st or 2nd week of October and finish in March. At this time of year is it near impossible to get any space in the back pages or on the news.

Reply #95960 | Report this post

Jazz  
Years ago

It may be to avoid having the start of the AFL and NRL seasons clash with the NBL Finals. Obviously you don't want to base your leagues decisions on what is happening in other sports, but the AFL and NRL do command a lot of media and public attention.
It is a sticky situation, the NBL season would have to be squeezed into 5 months (including finals) to avoid any clash. But waiting 2 weeks (start on the 4th of Oct) would avoid the AFL GF.

Reply #95981 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:18 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754