Reply #95944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt 14 girls will win it for shore they have a gun starting five
and they rock

Reply #95945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you think the Sturt 14 boys will go defending their title?

Reply #95951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Sturt boys will be up there again. They played well through the finals and Norwood, if they play like they did in the GF should have a good tounament as well.

As for the girls, Sturt belted South last week but lets see how they go in the GF vs F/ville before we make any predictions.

Reply #95957 | Report this post

Tyson  
Years ago

Anyone rate Dandenong ?????

Reply #95959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The girls will be Sturt and Nunawading GF, and the boys Illawarra will take it out easily - any team that had a 6-2, 90kg kid who is 13 with coordination/skills will be tough to beat.

Reply #95976 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

Maroochydore are apparently pretty good, although we have no form to compare against.

Norths and Illawarra (and Sutherland on their day) are all very good. We beat Norths in the Classic final but we played out of our skin to do it.

All the Vic teams are tough, but Dandenong are the most consistent and while we have beaten them 3 times, we will have to play well to beat them, or any Vic team for that matter.

Willetton are like Maroochydore in that their local results are very good and reports are that they are very good, but with no form to line up, who knows?

Also, watch out for some of the traditionally lower teams like North West Tassie and NT North (who return most of last year's team). Pool C is this year's pool of death.

All 3 SA teams have a shot. Eastern had us dead in the water in the QF at Classics before we did a Lazarus! And the last 4 times we have played Norwood the combined margin for those 4 games is 10 points, so they are a genuine shot.

Hopefully if we can get fit enough and stay that way, we can get to the medal round.

It's wide open, fitness and luck will play a big part in the outcome!

Reply #95983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone want to lay-out some predictions.

Top 4 (In any order)

Sturt
Norwood
Illawarra
Norths

Reply #96000 | Report this post

Dandyman  
Years ago

We certainly think that Sturt are the ones to beat in the Boys. What we saw at the classics was pretty impressive. We hear they have had one of their bigs out for a month or so as well as having injuries to other key players.

Our reports from the final last sunday suggested tiredness is taking its toll as they battle bigger bodies.

Keep in mind they have a kid in the team that was a member of last years winning side coached by SB so he knows how great the pressure becomes. From what we have seen over the past 18 months he normally steps up in the big games and is a good barometer as to how the sturt team plays.

Hopefully our boys can go top 4 with the 2 NSW teams there as well.

It should be a great week

Reply #96038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#95945)he, he, he......

Reply #96039 | Report this post

SeCrEt  
Years ago

I reckon norwood has a real good chance this year for a top 4 finish, they have been giving sturt a real test lately and as SB said earlier they have only lost by a total of 10 points in their last 4 clashes, this will prove to be an exicting tournament

Reply #96088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

go norwood

Reply #96098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

top 4 in any order Illawarra, Norths, Sturt, Dandenong and even Norwood will all be fighting 4 the top 4 spots. Nunawading lost their first playoff game in the vic finals which was suprising, and dandenong lost the vic final to Eltham, a team that didnt make nationals who probably should have.

Reply #96100 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Aaaaah U14 Clubs. Great memories. Great opportunity and great fun for all involved.
SB is the man when it comes to this tournament. Mind and body, system and structure. Preparation to the max.
If you're healthy and make it to the top four - fantastic achievement. After that it's pretty much luck and who gets the breaks.
Good luck to everybody involved.

Reply #96205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

norwood has an average 8 players, and 1 great player

Reply #96289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who cares aslong as SA puts in a strong showing

Reply #96297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

95957 did u hear the final result ??
sturt won by 5 sorry boti maybe you arent number1 in australia maybe you shouldnt waste your money and time and get a life that you will make top8

Reply #96309 | Report this post

Cant stand Idiots  
Years ago

96289 are you the average parent of the great norwood kid. Obviously he did not play in the grand final. If he is that good you would have won.
You were the guy bagging his coach when she took him off for not playing D and then turning the ball over and then missing his lay ups and then his foul shots !!!! Give the kid a break - GET a life

Good luck to all SA kids this week

Reply #96320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not playing D and then turning the ball over and then missing his lay ups and then his foul shots !!!!

He doesn't sound THAT great....

Reply #96421 | Report this post

To the point  
Years ago

Firstly congrats to the U14 Sturt girls. You are worthy state champs & will be more than capable of flying the SA flag at the nationals in a weeks time.

For Forestville to be on top of the ladder at every stage during the season and finish 2nd to Sturt in the one that counts the most is typical of how this core group of girls seems to have been coached over the last 3 seasons.

I would say that 3-4 of the f/ville girls can hold up their heads, the rest need to look in the mirror. As for the 3 caoching staff (yeah count em, 3) a great display of panicked dumb coaching. Some of the matchups were unforgivable and some of the moves, especially in the last qtr were down right plain stupid.

You can look back to the norwood carnival, State champs, classics and now the grand final (soon add national champs)to see that there is a serious problem with the team in regards to not being able to get up for the big ones.

Yeah sure howl me down. I will stand by the Sturt teams record when it comes to the big ones.

One shining light for F/ville is that at least the girls wont have to consider moving next season.

Reply #96437 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

you can retract your claws now to the point

Reply #96441 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

My god...that is to the point!!

Some truth in what you are saying, but they are u/14's and totally unpredictable.
Give them more time to mature into the game.

A different coach next year will help them develop.

As an aside Nwd boys just won game 1 in tassie.
61 v 53 Sutherland.
Sutherland guard went off , 27 pts!!

Reply #96443 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Thanks Doc, the official web site is a bit behind

Reply #96448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the point.....
Sturt are worthy winners of the under 14 girls Div.1 and credit to them and their coaching staff.
Most people think players make or break games and for you to put down the Eagles coaching staff seems very petty and 'parenty'. F'ville errors rather than genine outstanding Sturt play, perhaps is a truer reflection of the game. Add to the that a flatter than usual Eagles outfit and the game was over.
The Sturt coaches are astute enough to know that had F'ville hit even half of their free throws, a scrappy game may have ended differently.
Did Sturt play better or did F'ville play badly? In a six point game where one team couldn't win a board or find the basket it would be an empty head that rubbishes opposition coaches and 6 or 7 of their players.
The mark of a coach is if his kids come before his ego and the F'ville's coach allowed 3 of his girls to take part in various activities on Thursday and Friday,putting them first.
I somehow doubt next week in Brisbane that f'ville will be the easy target that 'to the point'predicts.
Sturt have got a committed group of 12 and 13 year olds who have focussed on winning the winter title. I don't think this was the prize Forestville was and is after.
Should the unbelievable happen and Sturt beat Forestville to take out the Nationals, I will be the first to congratulate the Sturt Basketball Club, players and coaches but if the reverse occurs as may happen, perhaps you might think twice about ridiculing a coach and players.
Finally and to the point, I'd worry a little if a team could play as bad as F'ville did and you couldn't put them away. Perhaps you should coach as you have an astute knowledge of everything F'ville did wrong.

Reply #96491 | Report this post

To the point  
Years ago

Well anon you do seem to have a lot of inside knowlege there. You sound like a defensive parent defending the indefendable. Daughter playing at southern next year is she? If you are an insider then you obviously dont give any creedence to the coaching record of the f/ville coach. It is a fantastic record.........except for the ones that count. From memory (and Im sure you will correct me if im wrong)there is a core group of girls in that team that have won 1 g/f in 3 seasons, yet have played in almost every one. What does that say? Are you really saying that Sturt didnt win the game, rather F/ville lost it? Thanks for that. Sturt dont need any more ammo to tuck under their belts, but you just gave them a little extra incentive.

Your comment if true that the f/ville girls are working towards somthing other than the g/f season win is remarkable. Would you have everyone on the forum believe that a squad has put themselves into the winter season, been on top of the ladder all of the season, but were never really interested in winning the winter season because they are focusing on a bigger picture? Can I suggets to you that only an EMPTY HEAD would make such a comment. As a parent I would be astounded if that were the case. Given f/ville's track record in the BIG ONES I cant imagine what bigger picture they could possibly focus on, because they cant WIN the bigger ones.

That Sturt team is fantastic, and has been for over 12 months. They are very well coached and have the ability to get up for the ones that matter. They ARE worthy winners and I am guessing that with the clinical way they get the job done they will take out the Nationals, no problems. Sturt IMO play with a maturity 1-2 seasons above the age group they are playing in.

If you really think F/vill will do any better than 5th, go to Dream World.... and stay there, it would suit.

Reply #96532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville were focussing on bigger things - like State Champs and Classics!! What did you say??....oh.

Reply #96559 | Report this post

tool spotter  
Years ago

(#96491)anon your comment "Sturt are worthy winners of the under 14 girls Div.1 and credit to them and their coaching staff." is really blown out of the water by this stupid line, and I quote"F'ville errors rather than genine outstanding Sturt play, perhaps is a truer reflection of the game. Add to the that a flatter than usual Eagles outfit and the game was over"

WEEEELLLL what actualy happened?? Did they get beten by a better opponent or did F/ville just have a bad day. you cant have it both ways.

I suggest you go back to wayville or southern or whatever and have a group cry & hug.

TOOL

Reply #96564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for spotting me toolspotter ur to the point .....
It's not a difficult concept to understand that a team can lose a game rather than another team win it. My earlier praise for the Sturt group should not be dimminished by that remark and I acknowledge their finals' results are superb.
You seem to have a personal bent against the coaching staff of F'ville which is your right but it seems self defeating because if ur criticism is accurate , his coaching and panic stricken assistants lost this game through their poor moves and match ups. That suggests you don't believe the sturt players won it but he lost it and a better coaching staff would have beaten you.
On the matter of goals, Im sure the F'ville group wanted to win Friday's game but Brisbane is a higher prize.
I don't think ur achieving much criticising the F'ville players and one wonders what vested interests you have in putting them down.
Dear tooly,the concept seems beyond you so I'll type slowly. You can have a bad day, play poorly and lose a game through your errors rather than through your oppositions' brilliance.
Sturt deserved to win because F'ville played so badly.'To the point' suggested indirectly F'ville lost because the coaches were so bad and made so many mistakes. Just maybe, what he or she observed was as I said, a flatter than usual team playing poorly.
They're about to shut Dream World now so I'll end with an olive branch extended, Your team is wonderful and all the girls are exciting prospects for the future and I hope they prosper.
If Sturt wins in Brisbane it will be great for Basketball in SA and all basketball fans would acclaim them. Sadly I don't think you and your 'missed the point' associate would reciprocate a Forestville victory because your egos wouldn't allow it.

Reply #96613 | Report this post

tony Blair  
Years ago

as a non forestville/sturt/southern person

let me say this

to the point you have made me actively hope that forestville win simply because you have come accross on here as an 'ugly parent'

by running forestville down you have won yourself no respect, and in IMO have garnered no respect for your beloved Sturt.

Reply #96619 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Forestville could have pressed just before then end of the third Quarter. That would have put some pts on the board IMO.
It would also have given Matt something to think about , other than his team , going into the last quarter.
When they pressed in the last it was effective but they ran out of time.

2 Subs could have been better to get some defensive pressure, in transition.
It was the lay-ups that they (Eagles) conceded that hurt them in the end IMO.
Great game to watch .

Reply #96624 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

F/ville got out played and out coached. You can talk up a bad game, felling flat, tired, what ever but the fact is that f/ville got out moved by a sturt team that has run 2nd to them all year.

Dr Damage, good take on the game. A couple of subs in the last were IMO eyebrow raising from f/ville. I also agree with to the point, with 3 coaching staff I would have thought maybe 1 of them could have thwarted some bad subs in the last qtr. Pull the same stuff in Brisbane and dont worry about Dream world, you wont be there long enough to find it.

Anon, to say f/ville are focused on a bigger picture is, sorry, plain stupid. If f/ville are truley focused on a bigger picture a good start would have been to get the job done last week.... or was that the "loss they had to have?"

Reply #96632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember, basketball was the real winner

Reply #96633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not over till the last game of the Nationals and vader it's a loss that won't to do them any harm at all because as you more than most should know...you learn more from a loss than a win..and please mud map Dream World for me.

Reply #96638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now I know why I dislike Sturt; it's not their players; it's not their coaches; it's their arrogant supporters/parents who the only thing they can do is to hide behind a psuedonym and attack 12 & 13 year old girls. I don't believe I am writing this but if Sturt make the final against a Vic team then I am now supporting the Vic team. Sturt supporters are not part of SA basketball supporters as far as I am now concerned hence I do not have any State allegiances to worry about. Go South Aussie representatives at the nationals; Forestville, Norwood and Easterns.

Reply #96644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm amazed by the amount of Boti bashing by sturt light and heavyweight posters.
There's not a small chance you may be diverting attention from your 16 and 18 div 1 girls is there? Sturt 16 girls were 1st or 2nd most of the year and went out in the finals winless, amid rumours of parent bushfires regarding the coach and threatened walkouts. Seems, so they say, that the present SAPSASA coach is taking the job to put the fires out.
In the 18's a state player that set tongues wagging at the nationals with her poor behaviour took it to the finals last week and redefined bad sportsmanship.
Sturt you are experts in naming other clubs woes and lax in owning you own.

Reply #96645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let me guess. Mums and daughters bitching about pathetic crap that on one cares about, and you can understand why no great junior coaches want to coach girls.

Reply #96661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let the games begin

Reply #96679 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

I have really enjoyed coaching girls for the last 3 years.
I have changed because I wish to be a role model to my own daughters!

Reply #96687 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

There are many , many great girls coaches as I have found in the last couple of years.
You are full of shit

Reply #96688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont understand why some parents hone in on Boti...Jealousy I guess. Other coaches have suffered same fate come finals, like Brenton u16 g North last year. But I dont see this reaction. Unfortunately children tend to act like children and be unpredictable and inconsistent at the wrong times during their life. Oh dear how dare they! As a parent of an u14 g My guidance is on development not winning to satisfy an ugly parent who probably did not achieve much in his own life. I hope my daughter goes on to win at a senior level and do so to satisfy herself not for parents to gloat. When that happens a game as a 12 year old will be insignificant. To the Point do you think your daughter wont achieve past u14s and is that why you are bragging now?

Reply #96720 | Report this post

disapointed  
Years ago

#96645 - nice way to bag an u18 player, have you read the forum guidelines???

Reply #96749 | Report this post

To the point  
Years ago

When all is said and done, I have my opinion and many more have differing opinions, THATS what this forum is all about. There are many arguments from both sides about what did, shouldnt, or may have happened from the u14 div 1 girls gf. I wont back down from my comments but do realise that they did offend some/ many.

In hindsight who wins u14's wether it be local GF's or national titles wont mean squat in 3-4 years down the track, point taken (#96720).

Lets all, including myself, take a a chill pill and leave it to the girls on the court. Yes I should have done that in the 1st place.

In a flimsy defence if you are taking your kid to 3 normal trainings a week, plus up to 2 individuals a week, plus fitting in other commitments & thats just for 1 out of 3 kids, can no one else see how one can become so wrapped up in the sport? It does tend to over take your life, at times; however no excuse.

Apologies to any I have offended. Lets hope both teams do us proud next week and finish 1 & 2, in which order, I dont give a damn.

Good luck to all girls & all coaching staff.

To the point, feasting on humble pie. Now please feel free to have a bigger go, no probs; over & out.

Reply #96801 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

To the point

I think your wife has threatened you!!

Reply #96814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #96720

I for one am not suprised about the Boti bashing. I guess people reap what they sow. If Boti wants to run around and claim the mantle of Best Austalian U/14 team becasue of a victory in a regular season game even though he has lost 9 grand finals in a row, then he gets what ever comes back at him in spades. And considering the bad press he has given Sturt since he parted company with the club I don't doubt that there are bad feelings between Boti and Sturt.

Both teams are made up of good South Aussie players who are/or will be good friends. And most parents, either know each other or in the case of SAPSSASA have stayed together at tournaments. So for people to suggest that this is a club v club thing is definately not correct.

The contributing factor is Boti and his attitude. Maybe people need to ask why he is leaving Forestville when some consider him to be suggesful as a coach? Or more importantly why he has asked and been turned down by at least 3 other clubs before being accepted?

Reply #97068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great tip from anon #96000 picked the top four almost in the reverse correct order.

Reply #98088 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:15 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754