MC
Years ago

Family Guy, how can you say it's not funny?

I've been hearing from one particular person that Family Guy is crap and not funny!

Can we please stone the heretic, or sacrifice him to our God?

Topic #8597 | Report this topic

box me out  
Years ago

"or sacrifice him to our God?"

our hoops God Isaac?

Reply #96171 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Greatest line ever in FG is when Peter teaches Meg about dating boys

" by the time i am finished with you, you will be beating guys off with both hands"

Reply #96176 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"you know what really grinds my gears? It is when people say that they don't like family guy"

Peter Griffen out.

Reply #96179 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

PG sitting naked in an Packed Internet Cafe

"Hehehehe You're my Chinese Lois"

Reply #96186 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Best scene (although you gotta be older to appreciate it.....and maybe catholic) is Holy Crap (Season2, episode 2).

With reference to the bible....

Peter's Dad: Ah, children love a good bedtime story from the bible.

Brian: Yes, Charming. Like when god told Abraham to kill Isaac?

Scene moves to a ripoff of the old love boat.

Isaac does his two pistol salute : ehhhhhh

Abraham Lincoln shoots him with a pair of six shooters.

Probably loses something in the telling, but we cracked up for hours on that one.

Giggidy......Giggidy......Giggidy Goo.

Reply #96189 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

[Quagmire sees a cheerleader tied up in a bathroom stall]
Quagmire: Dear diary: Jackpot.

Reply #96190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is family guy some website or tv program or book or what is it???

Reply #96192 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

In the Movie
Quagmire paints his motor home in preparation for his cross country trip.

Brian " Quagmire doesn't country have an o in it?"

Quagmire "Nope"

Reply #96196 | Report this post

MC  
Years ago

Stewie: Do you know what it's time for?

A Sexy Party!

Reply #96198 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lois: Okay, one more minute, and then if there are two pink lines...
Peter: Oh god, I hope you're not pregnant, we can't afford another kid. We already got Chris, Stewey, Richie, Joanie, Greg, Marsha, Bobby, Jan, Mike Seaver, Carol Seaver, Boner, Urkel, Mr. Furley...
Brian: Peter those aren't your kids, that's the Nick-at-Night lineup.
Peter: Blanka, Zangeif, Chun-Li, Guile, E. Honda...
Brian: That's Street Fighter.
Peter: Red, blue, green...
Brian: Those are colors.

Family Guy is the funniest show on TV right now, and shows the daily life of a family, including their dog, Brian (who talks; my favourite character).

Reply #96199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Dad wat wuld you say if i told you i wanted to quit the scouts?"

"I would say come again, then i would laugh because i said come."

Reply #96201 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Wow - Brian is your favourite character over Stewie? Big call!

Definitely a classic show.

Reply #96204 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

i love American Dad too !
Same creators and a couple of the same voices too !!

Almost as good as Family Guy.

Reply #96206 | Report this post

Social Worker Quagmire just slept with: Glen honey, I have a question for you. What do you do for a living?

Quagmire: I have a question for you too. Why are you still here?

Pure gold!

Reply #96207 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I do think Stewie is awesome and was my favourite for a long time, but Brian won me over with his superhero ability to travel quickly to the UK (and find out how the Queen is doing), while Stewie just had a bulbous head.

American Dad is lame in comparison, IMO. Just seems to try that much harder than FG.

Reply #96208 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Stewie still edges Brian for me, though I find both hilarious.

American Dad has it's moments, but is no where near as consistently funny as Family Guy.

Reply #96209 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Quagmire: You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you.

Reply #96210 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Great show, but IMO it is very, very hard to beat Southpark as TVs funniest.

Reply #96211 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

What in the deuce can you be talking about? Whilst amsuing, you impertinent harpy, SouthPark is not in the same league as Family Guy.

And this God fellow sounds positively fantastic.

Yes, omnipotence, gotta get me some of that.

Reply #96212 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Peter Griffen for me. He is Homer but 10x better.

I love the episode in Season 4
"8 Simple Rules for buying my teenage daughter"

Peter buys 8 crates of Ipecac (vomit inducing syrup) The challenge is whoever goes long without puking gets the last slice of pie in the fridge. They all have a swig. Peter first barfed, then Stewie, and Brian. Chris won the showdown, but he also ralphed. All of a sudden, all four puking out of control. After they've stopped, Lois came in and asked who wants chowder. So they spewed once more.

Chris: Dad I'm Scared (BELURGH)
Stewie: I dont wanna! I dont wanna! (BLEURGH)

I dont think I have ever laughed as much as I did when I first saw that episode.

Reply #96213 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Family Guy no 1
American Dad 2
South Park 3

Family Guy could be the most PG incorrect show around....

gotta love it...

Reply #96214 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Ok I cant resist any longer....in my little sheltered world I have missed seeing this show....and by the looks of it I am obviously missing out!!

When is it on - FTA or Fox?

Thanks

Reply #96215 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Brian Griffin: Face it Peter, you get competitive about everything.
Peter Griffin: I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

Wednesday night on seven around 10:30 I think.
Ive got all four seasons on DVD however :-)

Reply #96216 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Got all 4 on my ipod video.....Yay!

Reply #96217 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Fav dialogue ever in Family Guy - Peter is taking his sister in law to the hospital to have her baby

Lois: Peter,why are we stopped?
Peter: Yeah, I'll have three cheeseburgers...
Lois: Peter for God's sakes she's havin' a baby!
Peter: Oh that's right...and a kid's meal... and uh,I, I guess I'll have fries...if I have fries is anyone else gonna have any? Cuz,uh I don't wanna be the only one eatin' them... I'll feel like a fatty.

LOL - Kids Meal!

Reply #96218 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Peter: I read a book about it once
Brian: Peter are u sure it was a book....you sure it wasnt......nothing!

Reply #96221 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

also gotta love the Stewie movie....
that scene on the red carpet...GOLD!
Peter take me from behind....

Reply #96222 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

PS..that was a quote from Lois...before anyone reads that the wrong way...not that there is anything wrong with that!

Reply #96223 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Stewie (to one of the prostitutes at Cleveland's house): So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?

Reply #96227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You people are pathetic...this is a basketball forum can we please keep the topics about basketball...

Stewie: Damn, must have pulled something playing hoops last week. (Goes to flashback of Stewie playing basketball.)
Stewie: I know you ain't puttin that rock up from here, cause you ain't got no J! (Stewie trips basketball player)
Baskeball player: Yo man, that's trippin!
Stewie: Brotha please, you're the one who's trippin'! Now go on! Cry home to your momma! She waitin' for ya!
Basketball player: Now don't make me stick my size thirteens up yo narrow ass!
Stewie: Oh, sweet! Bring it on bitch! Now how you gonna act?! (Basketball player walks away.) Jeeze! Bringin that trash in here. Dis is my house!!!

Sorry it must be me who is pathetic.

Reply #96229 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Its funny.. but funniest show on TV Isaac? Id take Extras or Curb your Enthusiasm over it.

Reply #96230 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I was REALLY looking forward to Extras......and I was totally disappointed. Pretty ordinary.

Much prefer the office for Ricky Gervais.

Family Guy is certainly one of the best shows on TV. And Scrubs.

Reply #96232 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

I actually liked some of the Extra's episodes more than The Office. Some were a bit lame though. The Office was better overall I agree.

Anyone heard the Ricky Gervais podcast with Karl Pilkington? Funny stuff..

Reply #96233 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Karl Pilkington is a crack up.

Reply #96234 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

I cant work out if the guy is a creation of Ricky and Stephen or if that is genuinly how he is. Ricky insists it's genuine.. but I dont know.. Some of the recent video podcasts of him have me rolling on the floor.

Reply #96235 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Why the hell do people say that?

Have you ever seen anyone rolling around on the floor laughing? EVER?

Does saying that you're doing it (ROFL) make it real?

I rarely Laugh out Loud at posts, yet strangely I still LOL a bit.

We're all a bit weird really.

Reply #96237 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

NO, I really was rolling on the floor!

Reply #96238 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

Hands up those who have the Family Guy as their ring tone!

(raising my hand)

Reply #96246 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

I have the theme song to the slightly disturbing documentary 'grizzly man' as my ringtone - just to piss my wife off!

Freelove Highway by David Brent was my old tone.

Reply #96247 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy is my message tone. :-)

Reply #96249 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

oops.. thats freelove freeway not highway

Reply #96251 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

I love the show, but has anyone tried to watch a few episodes one after another? The formula in which the jokes are delivered, (mention something totally irrelevant and cut to it) really starts to fall flat after a while.

Great show, if you don't watch too many at once.

Curb your Enthusiasm however I can sit thru a whole season at once.

Reply #96252 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

I once sat through seasons 2 and 3 of curb your enthusiasm at once. You could say it was a quiet day at the office. Its kinda addictive... You keep wondering how many different ways Larry can make a dick of himself. Its scary when you start relating to a lot of his behaviours though!

Reply #96258 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

My vote goes to Curb for best show on television, some great cameos there, including the Shaq appearance when David gets courtside seats.

Loved the Crazy eyez killah episode as well.

"They were originally going to make 3 steps, but I was like f--- it four is better."

Reply #96259 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

When is Curb on?

Reply #96262 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

It's one of the many great channel nine shows like Sopranos, Letterman etc that channel nine don't promote. Gets chucked on anytime from 11pm to 5am in the morning whenever the hell Channel nine feel like showing it, often not even listed in the TV guide.

Just hire it from the video store.

You would think a show by the co-creator of Seinfeld (Larry David is the real life George) that has won countless awards would at least be given a chance

Reply #96264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes i think this topic is 'shallow and padantic'

Reply #96265 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Seems like most of the good HBO shows dont get the exposure over here.

Although I can understand why they wouldnt want the 'Beloved Aunt' Episode on at an earlier hour!

The restaurant opening scene was a classic in series 3 also...

"Boy cock, girl cock, E-I-E-I-O"

Reply #96266 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Yes I was just think of that "beloved aunt" episode.

Also couldn't have that epsiode at the airport where the guy spells out how he would spell Larry David's name.

Reply #96267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its the government quick run e.t. run

Reply #96269 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Other quality shows to get shafted by the networks are Freaks and Geeks (was always shown at 11:30PM or so) and Futurama (until recently when they were forced to put it up in place of Some Moll's Getting Married.

How The Wedge is still on, I have no idea -- does anyone watch that? From the promos, it looks hideous, predictable and unfunny.

Reply #96270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty much anything that doesnt rate well in the first week with channel 9 is sent to the graveyard shift.
I may get a pasting for this, but I actually prefer the American version of The Office and that was also sent to late night after one or two weeks. Steve Carell is hilarious.

Reply #96272 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

But did channel nine ever put Curb on at a decent time?

Letterman is only once a week now as well.

Reply #96273 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

Peter - "Lois, I'm gonna teach our kids to be so smart, they'll be able to program out t.v's without spilling piping hot gravy all over myself."

Reply #96276 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Its funny, there are a lot of people who just dont get the UK office. I think it appeals to a certain type of mind. Most people who like the UK Office dont like the US one.

I think the US version is quite funny after the first couple of episodes - but it caters more to the American style of humour.

Curb has never been on at a decent time. I think it started on 9 here about 3-4 years ago after the late news.

Reply #96285 | Report this post

Years ago

Curb Your Enthusiam proves what a genius Larry David really is. It's the funniest thing on television since Seinfeld, coincidentaly.

Reply #96288 | Report this post

wedgewastic!!  
Years ago

yeah my mum and sister watch the wedge isaac!! its classic, they love it. they especially like the segment with the mums on the pokies that live in their car. they alllllways say the line 'unlucccccccccccccckky' really high pitched. give it a go... 8.30 tuesdays on ten.

Reply #96301 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

That's the problem wedgey, it's the same stuff repeated over and over again. I stopped watching after the second episode because I couldn't stand knowing exactly what would happen.

Reply #96303 | Report this post

wedgewastic!!  
Years ago

i know but thats the idea of the show. its like a series that the viewer follows weekly, its just like the family guy in a way because that is a series. but i see ya point. so no hard feelings

Reply #96310 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

8.30 Tuesdays!! Try 9 o'clock Tuesdays... Real Stories is the funniest show on FTA at the moment. Hamish and Andy are hilarious.

I rate Family Guy pretty highly, but The Office is probably my favourite comedy of all-time... David just gets himself into so many awkward situations and makes a dick of himself even more! Gareth and Tim are also very good value.

Reply #96324 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Real Stories seems like a 'We Can Be Heroes' spinoff to me. Its funny in parts but Hamish and Andy just seem a bit lame when compared to Chris Lilley.

My all time top 5 TV comedy shows would prob be:
1. The Office
2. Curb your Enthusiasm
3. The Late Show (DGen)
4. Frontline
5. Chasers War on Everything

Reply #96331 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

The US version of the Office is ok but not outstanding, Steve Carell is great but the supporting cast don't hold a candle to the Tim, Gareth, Dawn and Finchy.

Reply #96340 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Yeah, I dunno Billo. Initially I would have agreed with you but the US version has really grown me. One thing the US version has over the UK one is that I understand US culture far more than British culture considering that my favourite sport is American, my favourite music is American and the majority of tv shows I watch are American. Thus I think some of the storylines are funnier in the US version. However, the biggest weakness with the US version is the 'Gareth' equivalient 'Dwight' isn't nearly as funny or unique.

BTW, can someone tell me what has happened to the new series of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Channel 9 showed a couple of episodes late on Sun night but i haven't seen it since?

Also, completely agree with you Isaac about the Wedge. Shows like The Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and The Chaser are 100 times funnier.

Reply #96359 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

One of the reasons I like the UK Office better than the US one, IS for the reason that it isnt so much 'storyline' based.

I think thats what gives it its unique flavour, and more of a sense that you are watching some sort of documentary, not a sitcom trying to be one.

Reply #96373 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Was speaking with someone today who had only just started watching the Chaser. They were amazed at how much more funny and clever it is than something like the Wedge - yet the average person probably hasn't even heard about it, just because it's stuck on ABC.

Reply #96374 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

It's not funny..... MMMM that was easy!!!!!

Reply #96379 | Report this post

Years ago

I'm with Rat10, I'm disappointed that Channel 9 has axed Curb from late Sunday nights. The first few episodes of the series were pretty funny. Hopefully they bring it back sometime, and put it on at the latest 10:30 at night. I'm sick of having to stay up all hours just to see it.

Reply #96386 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Brian: Say something...
Stewie: What?
B: Just say something please!!
S: Oh for god sake!... Um...Yay and god said to Abraham you will kill your son Issac and Abraham said I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone and god said Oh i'm sorry is this better? Check check check, Jenni pull the high end out i'm still getting some hiss back here...

Reply #96454 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

go the coolaid guy, hes a god!

Reply #96457 | Report this post

Phil Olivetti  
Years ago

Oh I forgot about We Can Be Heroes... that is probably on a par at the top with The Office for me.

Ja'mie on the phone: Well you don't sound like a manager, you sound like a fat bitch. I'm sorry but you sound soo fat. Goodbye Bitch.

Reply #96515 | Report this post

The Hamma  
Years ago

OH YEAH!!!!!

Reply #96517 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

ahaha gold the hamma, you know your stuff

Reply #96523 | Report this post

Nathan  
Years ago

I seem to be the only englishman on this forum and i appreciate family guy very much and have all the Dvd's, But seth mcfarlanes anglo-phobia makes me think he's a bit of a (Mod: BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP).

Reply #160698 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:13 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754