Bob F
Years ago

When will they get it Right!!!!!

This is the first time that I have written on this site as I tend to reader and not a writer but like all things I have something to say.I know my comments wont please some!

My area of work is with marketing and sponsorship and yes I have been involved in Basketball as a player and now as an active parent watching my two daugthers.

Once again Basketball SA has lost a Golden Opportunity in promoting itself. My daughter plays Div 1 for North and Friday nights is the night where we crab the pillow and drinks and head of to stadiums scattered throughout the metro area. It has become all to familiar but as a parent you do it.

My daughter is most fortunate in reaching the Grand Final which is a credit to her and the girls in her team and I dare say the girls in the opposition side as well, well done to all.

I have glady stated to all our friends and family that the Final is on a Sunday morning. Immediately this has attracted a negative response, Why Sunday and not Friday, thats my sleep in and so forth.

All year we play Friday nights and for some reason the GF is Sunday morning...this is totally out of character (again) and not thinking about the sport in general. My friends and family would love to see our daughter play but will not go down on a Sunday...Surely at a time where money is a hard product to find why they wouldn't stick to a Friday night GF.....what about those families who attend church or children who are not allowed to play on a Sunday?

This GF is in my opinion a retrograde step and one Basketball SA should look at. Dont tell me that they cant or do not have the stadiums Friday night as we have played everynight for the last several months, We all know months out when the GF is going to be so why not schedule?.....Basketball SA you need to look at your marketing and the ease in which people would like to go and watch on a Friday Night...by attracting spectators to a sport that they dont rarely see can only build a new market to the game...Why cant we have sell outs at the Sixers games now? Why! because we do not sell the game to the people instead lets just throw it on a Sunday morning and hide the game from everyone.

It's about time the few were accoutable to the Game and bring basketball back to the people! Hey you never know you might actually make extra money at the door with spectators!!!or sell more season tickets to the Lighting and Sixers?

Topic #8608 | Report this topic

Tony Blair  
Years ago

Bob I can understand your angst and your right to your opinion.

However, they play all the grand finals together why do you say?

So these, children, the coaches, the managers and the umpires can strut their stuff in front of their team faithful and club faithful.

They have historically been played in the one venue, ie Apollo stadium now the Dome.

My son when he played juniors loved the opportunity to play on the main court at Apollo cause it was the sixers home. (and it wasn't used for juniors) It was an honour to play their finals there.

It also gave great seating to all who wished to attend.

You say your daughter plays for North and if the grand final was held at hillcrest and was followed by other grand finals sitting would be at a premium, and not comfortable for spectators or players.

The dome, for all its detractors gives coaches plenty of room to segretate and talk to their teams. it there is warm up areas of the ends of courts, unlike say Marion or Hillcrest.

How would you be if you had a child in a final at Hillcrest at 8pm then another in a final at Gawler at 10 then you'd be screaming for them to be in one spot.

Playing all grand finals in one venue necessitates different time slots and all stay around or come back after the final game to collect their medallions.

It has worked this way for the last twenty or so years. And no, no system can't take improvement.

The dome, isn't spectator friendly especially if all three courts are in use.

But just for you Bob, just because you find it difficult to make a sunday morning.

Just so your daughter can't enjoy being part of a handful of teams who have made it all the way to the grand final, so that your daughter can't play after two great teams in a grand final, and before two great teams in another grand finals, so she can't be part of the bigger family of basketball.

We'll change just for you Bob cause obviously they are wrong, and we should play all the games in differing stadiums on differing nights.

Reply #96369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Division 1 final are the only ones on Sunday at the Dome. All the other divisions do play all over the place. Kids don't care where they play their Grand Final. We played on the middle court at the Dome on Saturday and it was a disgrace. Tell me where any other State places in that situation.

Reply #96378 | Report this post

SD  
Years ago

Why should Basketball SA do something sensible - It is against character.
Playing junior basketball at the Dome is not enjoyable from a spectator point of view, nor from a playing point of view.
And I imagine, if you are a coach on the main court, whilst the other 2 courts are in use, must not be very enjoyable.
Playing all the Div 1 Grand Finals say at Wayville on a Friday night would be great. Good idea.

Reply #96380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Bob was complaining about the where but the when. If you play the whole season on a Friday night why play the Grand Final on a Sunday?

I know this allows all ages and grades to play on the same day then have the presentation following, but the earlier timeslots still have to go home in between. Which makes the day moot anyway.

Reply #96387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One thing about basketball is that uneducated parents and spectators always think they know better.

They'll happily tell you everything an experienced coach (even state coach) is doing wrong; even when winning. They'll more then happily yell at a junior referee or even experienced referee because they clearly know better.

And of course they'll openly complain on this site about anything, which now includes the timing of the Grand Finals.

Junior Grand Final day is an event. By being held on a Sunday it means EVERYONE can see the best juniors this state has to offer. It means all the Div 2 - 5 kids can come out and support their fellow club mates or check out the best of their age group. It means that true basketball fans like myself can get in early on a Sunday and spend a whole day watching the best junior basketball this state can produce.

If parents, sports fans and fellow junior basketballers can't get up early on a Sunday and ruin their 'sleep in' to watch a full day of Grand Final action then there is little else that BasketballSA can do to bring you to the game.

While your daughter's team may not enjoy playing early on Sunday it gives them all an opportunity to stay around and watch the best Under 16, 18 and 20's battling for a title of their own, without having to sit in a cold stadium until 11:30 at night.

(To anon#96387 I suggest rather then go home, stay and spend the day cheering on the other junior teams that exist, apart from your own.)

It also gives your daughter the chance to receive a championship trophy (probably from a WNBL player) with her fellow club juniors and all the best juniors in the state, something that wouldn't be possible if the games were all played on a Friday Night.

It's so easy to come onto a forum such as this and pick out all the bad points of a system. No result is going to please everyone. Grand Final Sunday is a tradition for me and one that I am glad will continue in 2006.

Reply #96408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said.

Reply #96410 | Report this post

Years ago

It doesn't particularly worry me when they are played, it is just I can see another person's point of view.

And we are playing on Sunday, but why hang around and watch teams which you have no affiliation or interest? Having said that I will be at the Dome to watch the U18 & U20 finals.

Reply #96413 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

spot on my club has only limited teams in GF but i will be their watching with my sons who enjoy seeing teams they competed against going head to head in the GF -
its a great day well to BSA - you have got it right

Reply #96415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By being held on a Sunday it means EVERYONE can see the best juniors this state has to offer. It means all the Div 2 - 5 kids can come out and support their fellow club mates or check out the best of their age group.

Usually I couldn't agree more with this...BUT this year all the div 2/3 etc. GFs that were previously ona Friday is on Sunday as well! What is going on there???

Reply #96420 | Report this post

Bob F  
Years ago

I knew this would happen....I have put my name to this post and haven't hidden behind the annon. I did not have objections to where the GF's are being played more importantly when.

Basketball is struggling to gain the numbers (my opinion) I have placed what I thought was a constructive comment...I have not bagged coaches or teams...I know this is difficult for some of you annon people but my heart is with the game.....It is my opinion after playing all year on a Friday night why it should change.....I dont think it makes sense thats all I'm saying.....people do like to sleep in, spend Sundays with family or even go to church....It is my opinion that these changes should be canvassed to the Basketball Community only then we will get the true answer...again its my opinion only

Reply #96434 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

Bob F
and we are telling you it has worked and worked well for the past twenty plus years.

having all the teams showcased at once.

having them all play and at the end of last game them all being presented with their medallions.

makes sense to have during the daytime because you can't expect them to be there till 2 in the morning finishing games and awarding pennants.

Grand finals especially Div 1 are to be showcased, to have them all play on the one day
from U12 to U20 you are talking
U12 Girls
U12 Boys
U14 Girls
U14 Boys
U16 Girls
U16 Boys
U18 Girls
U18 Boys
U20 Girls
U20 Boys

Even playing them on a Sunday they start early and the games / presentations aren't over till mid afternoon.

Besides when is Sundays for sleeping in! Juniors train on a sunday morning and although my son no longer plays juniors I can remember enough 8am trainings to make my weekends sleepless enough.

Besides one sunday isn't too much to ask.

Reply #96444 | Report this post

sick of whingers  
Years ago

Bob F, the new BSA CEO role hasn't been filled yet. Stick your hand up! I'm sick of people whinging who won't do anything about it. You think posting on here is going to make any difference...pffft!
Get out and do something Bob F if you really care! Commit! or stop complaining

Reply #96450 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I'm with Bob. 'sick of whingers' - read your post mate and double think your name.
Bob has done exactly what this forum was created to do, have a say. Maybe posting on here is doing something about it, what more can a man do?
Too many people who can see nothing more than their own point of view

Reply #96453 | Report this post

interesting  
Years ago

Great comment Tony Blair

"and we are telling you it has worked and worked well for the past twenty plus years." - SA Basketball Bankrupt. Appears to be working really well.

Fact - Basketball is a minority sport in Australia. Sorry to bring you this shocking news.

Hence what we have done does not matter, what does matter is that we should be trying new and different thinks to improve the game for all in Australians.

But to add my 2 bits... the sport for any team comes in the time slot they play all season. ie thursday, Friday, or Saturday. It seems logical that the Grandfinals would follow a similar time slot.

Support for Basketball should belong to all of us. Go to the Grandfinals this weekend and dont look at the game but listen and look at the parents and then tell me your are proud of our sport. Was only last week I heard north parents threaten junior girls of the opposition while they were playing. Hence Bob F seems like the day of playing the GF is only a minor issue you may have in your club.

For myslef, I am proud of the teams that made the grandfinals (includes my son/daughter) but I am more proud of the teams that got beat everyweek but still tried their best all year and are rocking up for another season because they just love playing basketball.

maybe here is the lesson.

Reply #96464 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

interesting I KNOW it is a minority sport

believe me I KNOW

I also know that holding grand finals on one day each year has not bankrupted basketball in this state

it is a huge leap if you believe it to be so.

I'd list
sixers admin/overuns/fines
dome/cost inflation
lightning
go back a few years
buffalos & opals yes sa had an opals team the female equilavent of the buffs.
admin mismanagement in trying to paper the cracks

but running grand finals on one day of the year for the past twenty years has not bankrupted basketball in this state.

I've been involved in this sport in various facets since i was a fresh faced 15 year old i've already passed the big 50 and I'm still involved - maybe here is the lesson - I Love the game.

Reply #96468 | Report this post

Bob F  
Years ago

wow.....a simple question I place on post...at least I with tony put our names to the post as I believe whether I am right or wrong believe in the freedom to voice my opinion....I didnt think I was whinging more a point of just stating an opinion...now I should be the CEO....people who know me know how much work I have put into Basketball...I dont hide behind an annon....Its good to see passion but PLEASE remember we all want basketball to succeed not to be divided...you Mr annon are typical as to the reasons why we can not forge ahead....Hey Tony I respect your comments and yes one Sunday is fine...you are correct we dont have a life with trainings etc but hey we do it for our kids....again it was just an opinion!...Why is Basketball behind....the annons will have the answer I'm sure....

Reply #96508 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

Bob you are entitled to your opinion. And indeed although I favour all the g/finals played in one placed at the one time.

Perhaps next time, you take into account more than just your teams point of view.

Change is often a good thing and we should never have things set in concrete and not revamped or looked at or improved.

However saying that you didn't help your cause with the title.

'When will they get it Right!!!!!'

Unfortunately, and even I'm guilty at times, we misread things or we feel we have a valid point and jump on here and make what a statement that in hindsight could be tempered a bit.

Good luck to your daughter for the weekend indeed good luck to all the children who have won the right to play off in the grand finals.

We should all learn to take our fingers from the keyboard and think our posts through.

Reply #96516 | Report this post

Bob F  
Years ago

so true....but like a good friend said (journo) you need to grab a headline for people to react. Headlining is constructive when you get people debating what they think is good or bad....the heading reflected this.

I still dont believe the headline was wrong as I still maintain what I said. Basketball is about feeling intensity emotion and so forth all bundled together ...the heading reflected that.

Tony (I dare say from number 10) you have clearly stated the other side of the opinion and that I respect and will agree to disagree (thank you for being decent thru this process). We are people who opt to come out in the open to discuss a valid point whether the masses agree or disagree. I would hate to think that we Aussies are gagged in what we say. (Come on Annons...slag the freedom of speech)

I will leave you with some typical managerial aspects in the world of marketing.

Because the Sundays have been the norm for the last twenty years does this make it right??

Tony I recall as a lad going every Saturday afternoon to watch Port Adelaide play football. This was the norm every Saturday, my father, Grandfather all did the same....we were not allowed to do a thing or interfere with the Saturday Afternoon, it was footy day.....The crowds began to shrink so some clever marketing person said with (originally) distain that we should take the game to the people and mix things up. This happened and now we see football being played, Friday night, Saturday afternoon, Saturday night, Sunday afternnon and Sunday twilight. They are now experimenting Mondays....WHY do they do that...The answer is simple they are catering to the TV community and the community at large and for the best fit....Some people may work and by being flexible allows for people to plan...

The objectives for basketball are simple in terms of what they are trying to achieve (It is a thankless task I'm sure and one that probably isn't appreciated by the masses - I actually take my hat off to the administrators). Every busines and now community basketball club has a vision for the future. Sponsorships are drying up as money is getting harder to find...Clubs are every changing to find something that appeals to the Corporates. The introductions of business plans will have Key indicators which are measured and accountable.

I ask you why then is basketball sliding? Key Indicators will determine and support the decline.

Sunday Finals is one key indicator.....My original questions and thats what I am talking about here was Sunday morning Finals, nothing else!!!!!

Key Indicators to me is when I cant get people to the game to watch as it is not convenient to the people, (that I mean the friends and extended families)....To get people to the game we must change our thinking...we need to grab peoples interest and build a new relationship. It is a long very long process I hear you say.

In marketing terms it is called a SWOT analysis whereby we look at the strengths, weakness, objectives and the target market....Is Sunday mornings the target Tony or do we just go along because thats the way we have done it for the past twenty years?

Again I dont really care either way as I'll be there watching...its a shame my friends and extended family wont be!

And for all the annons....It is my opinion....I am not slagging off at anyone particular thing as I know Basketball is not easy to administer.....I have just raised an opinion re finals being played on a Sunday morning.....
I am proud of the fact that emotion in the game of basketball lives on.

Reply #96569 | Report this post

tony Blair  
Years ago

Bob I often do post as anon so often those anon people do have creditablity but that is another arguement.

As i said I am open to change - give alternative. I agree football has changed radically but those going to the SANFL the crowds have fallen away with the advent of the Crows & Power.

If it is a good thing for grand parents and parents and other coaches, players, and assorted followers to go and watch all the Div 1 grand finals together when would you play them?

Saturday afternoon, when the football is on, this coming saturday i'd say the majority would be either glued to the Tv or at the Crows game.

Play them on a friday night in differing stadiums, what happens when you have for example a child playing in u14g grand final at wayville at 7pm and a child playing in the u16b grand final played at hillcrest at 8pm.

which child does the family follow, which child does the extended family go to watch. Do they watch half a game at wayville then make the trek to catch the last half at Hillcrest?

if you played them on a saturday night in the one stadium what time do you start them to get them finished at a reasonable time.

Allowing for the fact that the presentation of trophies is a big event at the end of all the games would you want to take a U12 child back to at stadium at 12pm for the medal presentation?

ok then maybe split the two events run u10-u14 friday night u16-20 Saturday night

then grandparents etc are asked to give up two nights if they have grand children playing on both nights.

parents would be asked to pay on friday then pay again on saturday night then upping the costs.

court hire, especailly as the Dome is no longer 'ours' would double - you would be bringing back doorkeepers, UIC, canteen people and all the other people who make the games happen.

It has worked well for twenty years, but I personally always welcome change, change is what keeps the game evolving look at the rules and the way over the last twenty years the game has become faster.

But there has to be a logical well thoughout alternative. Not a cry that they play friday nights they need to play friday nights.

when my neices were younger they did calesentics (spelling) i hated the whole thing sequins, flouncy skirts, boring as watching paint dry, but when asked as a family we were there on a monday night and i had to forgo my on playing of my beloved basketball to go and support the family.

Maybe explained to extended family why it is on a sunday, they might just come around. After all it is a grand final.
And Basketball is a great game.

Reply #96578 | Report this post

Bob F  
Years ago

You raise some good points....I agree that all DIV 1 be showcased...

I am a parent this Sunday that has to go to two stadiums, I hear ya (luckily I can manage the two games)...you have raised a good solid argument and one that I have taken on board. I agree with the philosphy...I just believe it can be done better to cater for more people. Lets show it off....Mate we could argue on differing points but rearly we would be going in circles....I agree with your comments, I will continue to follow as I too enjoy the game....I want basketball to succeed in SA....I just believe we dont sell ourselves to the people enough....Basketball needs to cater to the people and that includes creature comforts...

Catch ya Tony.....mate catch you on Sunday...come up and we can continue the debate I dont bite?

Reply #96582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#96408), you forgot that they love to get on here and make big statements using Anonymous as a name.

Reply #96627 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

Bob F well done mate. Ive been asking myself the same question. Why when we play every freekin friday night does a grandfinal have to be played on a different time on a different day.

Stop the bulltwang excuses. Play 99% of games on a Friday nite, play the freekin grand final on a friday nite.

Reply #96629 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:54 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754