tony Blair
Years ago

FIBA write up on the opals

SAO PAULO (2006 FIBA World Championship for Women) - The Defence Jobs Opals will enter the quarter-final stage of the FIBA World Championship for Women as top seeds and full of confidence after their 84-49 triumph over Argentina.

Lauren Jackson starred for Australia with an 30 points, four rebounds and two steals in just 20 minutes of play. Hollie Grima and Belinda Snell each had 10 points in support.

Natalia Rios had 14 points and three assists to lead Argentina.

Opals starting point guard Kristi Harrower sat out the game due to an upset stomach, but the team hardly missed her as they provided further evidence they could reach the gold medal game.

Australia led 21-10 after one quarter and by half time they had a 15 point lead, 41-26.

Jan Stirling's team did not ease off and by three-quarter time, they led 63-38.

With Australia's star players taking a well earned rest, the Opals' bench players took over in the fourth quarter and powered home to victory by 34 points.

The win was the Opals' sixth straight and with three games remaining in the tournament, they are the hottest prospect to knock off Team USA, the championship favourite.

The Opals' quarter-final will be played against Russia, who have yet to hit their stride.

Good to see FIBA has us as Gold Medal Favourites I can see this team bringing home our first senior Gold Medal.

Topic #8647 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tony

It says USA are favourites and we are the hottest prospect to beat them.

Reply #96853 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

"as top seeds'

that is good enough for me, lets get behind the opals this site has been far too quiet about our best medal prospects

are we only prepared to whinge at boy gorj and not support Jan and her charges.

Reply #96862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understood the quarter final was against the french ???

Reply #96866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agreed....

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

Reply #96867 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The BA press release originally listed Russia as our opponents, but I think it's been revised to be France. Maybe the seeding changed after all results were completed?

Reply #96870 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754