Isaac
Years ago

Hope for FTA *something*?

Free-to-air comeback could be on cards for NBL as coverage increases

Sounds like the Fox deal might tie the NBL's hands a bit...

The NBL could not confirm whether an agreement had been reached with Nine but the league's commissioner, Rick Burton, said it would consider the "right deal" on free-to-air if it arose.

"It wouldn't be live games," Burton said. "Our exclusive live game situation is with Fox Sports and we are very, very happy with what they provide. The opportunity to have something that was non-live games - it could be a highlights show - it might not be Nine. It might be Seven, it might be Ten & we have to consider what those can do to lift the profile of the game and can also do for our partners.
(Emphasis added.)

And...
"Free-to-air does not solve problems," Burton said. "But I think we've always got to investigate opportunities to increase the visibility for the NBL and I think that's part of our ongoing charter, to make sure we bring our visibility back up to what it was 15 years ago. I think most people associate [that as] the high-water mark of the NBL in Australia."
All this news of more games in Singapore, NBL on cable in the US, and other countries, is great, but FTA FTA FTA!

The only acronym that fans more commonly direct at the league is WTF!

Topic #8654 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

""Last season, 116 Philips Championship games were broadcast throughout Australia and New Zealand," Schroder said. "This new agreement with StarHub will see the number of games almost double to an estimated 225 and we will be seen regularly in three countries. That's further indication of the significant growth the NBL is experiencing."

116 games on TV last year, 225 this year but Rick - I didn't see one of them. Serenity now!

Reply #97016 | Report this post

daniel  
Years ago

Hey, it's not Rick's fault that you live on the edge of civilisation ... do you guys even have electiricty down there ??!

Reply #97036 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Plenty of electiricty here. Not much electricity though.

Im running my computer with help from the rats in the basement pedelling away hard.

Reply #97038 | Report this post

daniel  
Years ago

hang on .. have you all moving in to the Dome ??!! (and apologies for spelling error ....)

Reply #97039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is daniel the new brad/awnser/sixers33 ?

Reply #97044 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

First, I just love it when people try to be smart-asses, yet don't know how to spell (and yes that is directed right at daniel!).

But anyway, it's just so frustating that Burton doesn't get that not every single person in Australia gets Foxtel and has access to the NBL.

While Fox has got a great plan in stall for it's NBL coverage this year, and I appreciate that, plus the NBL has just got a new deal with a Singaporian network, it's not going to attract a whole new lot of AUSTRALIAN NBL supporters.

I just hope that Burton is down-playing this so that he does not get fans hopes up if there isn't going to be any joy at the end.

Reply #97046 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

It cannot be Brad, as he apologised for his spelling mistakes.

Reply #97048 | Report this post

not sixers33!  
Years ago

no it is not sixers33!.

Reply #97069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so not sixers33!, are you sixers 33 lol

Reply #97080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stury6er i am sick of your smart ass comments, and without being a "tuff man"i am giving you the oppertunity to say what ever you want to my face! you arrange the time and place. Dont be gutless

Reply #97109 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hope you can afford a ticket to QLD, anon.

Reply #97116 | Report this post

daniel  
Years ago

meh. I was being jocular, not a smart-arse ...

Reply #97135 | Report this post

daniel  
Years ago

And equating me with Brad ?! You've got to be kidding ...

Reply #97140 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Agreed where i live Fux is not even available.

I have had it in the past at other places and love it, itis simply not possible for Fux to be connected to this house due to Telstra.

I live in the inner CBD and can not even watch a game and i am prepared to pay for it,

Reply #97142 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

How about, my grade one home class at Black Forest Primary School. Class 4A at Midnight.
That is where I learnt to spell.

Reply #97161 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I was thinking more along the lines of next to King Wally outside Suncorp Staduim.....then I can come watch!

Reply #97164 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe Brad can take on TR, then Sturty6ers in "Endurance Mode"?

Anyone watch Jamie's Kitchen last night? I reckon Tong, the guy who got pissed off and then started punching and kicking things and generally unnecessarily resorting to violence, is their version of our Brad.

Reply #97166 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Jamie's Kitchen??? Thought youd still be in the car at that time Isaac on the way home....or has the Ferrari got a TV moniter in it as well!

Reply #97198 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was at the office from 6AM, so was home before the show!

Reply #97201 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:07 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754