Isaac
Years ago

Horvath: Inside target, unfamiliar situation

Noticed a few comments in the Talking Hoops Recap and have heard similar said here and there before: with Horvath at the 36ers, we're back to the old Rogers excuse of not being familiar with a scoring big man in the team.

But is it just an excuse?

The fact is that Horvath is a legitimate option - scored well in the pre-season, wasn't shabby at the Blitz, and put up the game-high in Singapore.

So, to the problem of the team having to adjust to that - well, half the team has gone - and for Majstrovich, Copeland, Ng, and Horvath and Wheeler, this is a new side.

Copeland has played with Mark Bradtke as a target since the Cretaceous Period. Majstrovich worked alongside Ben Pepper last year, Bobby Brannen in 2001, and Paul Rogers in 99/00 I think.

The rest, even if they're not used to it, aren't idiots and can adjust quickly -- these are full-time professionals after all.

So, as comments go, is it a realistic observation or maybe just a dodgy excuse?

Topic #8668 | Report this topic

Statman  
Years ago

I think it would be a more legitamate excuse if Horvarth was only scoring 10 points a night and not getting the ball.....clearly this isnt the case. As our opposition adjust to us now having a legitimate big who is scoring, the outside shots will open up a bit more and our outside game will pick up to compliment our inside options

Reply #97152 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Until the defense adjusts, surely you keep going at Horvath then? He was making 60+% which is double the starting guard combo were hitting.

I'm surprised we didn't start Horvath and Cooper (both in form), Majstro at SF. Then send one of the big men to the bench after 5-6 minutes, bring in Hill or Copes, push Majstro to PF (where he started in Singapore). Then swap in Coops for Horvath to give him a rest.

Horvath has done just fine at presenting the outside shot option too, and Cooper is no stranger to rebounding when his co-big man has drifted out of the key.

Reply #97153 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Isaac...I was suprised at the starting line up as well. I certainly didn't expect to see Copeland starting. I was expecting Maher, Farley, Horvath, Cooper and either Nash or Maj.

Reply #97154 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Agreed Isaac - he is scoring well so keep going to him.....at this stage Id be leaning more towards it being a dodgy excuse :)

Reply #97158 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I would think about the only person with any legitimate problem may be Farley - and I onyl say that because I dont know who he played with prior to the 36ers.

Maher & Ng - have had the Big O in the pivot at Sturt for a while, plus Maher would be use to having good big men in the Boomers.

Nash has worked with big men prior to being in Adelaide, and Copes, well yeah we all know who he worked with.

Hill may have some issues, as he may not have worked with a NBL big man.

Yeah, I dont think the excuse really works anymore, and the fact that Horvath is scoring well would suggest there is not that much of a problem at the moment anyway.

Reply #97160 | Report this post

tony Blair  
Years ago

Ng before Sturt had Rees, Whitmore, Bradley, Josephs in the middle at Woodville.

Hill, played at the AIS they surely had big guys and Eastern aren't a short side.

Copeland played majority of his career with Bradtke and Timmons, they aren't in the guard category.

another hack excuse for when we lose.

My season tickets are looking like misspent money at the moment.

Reply #97162 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe the fans should buy tickets with Monopoly money until Phil has the team ready. "Don't worry, you'll be seeing some real money in about 4-6 weeks!" Just kidding.

Reply #97165 | Report this post

Ken Richardson  
Years ago

3 spot is the concern. Copeland should be coming in off the bench with a licence to 'thrill'. If he's hot leave him on and if not get him off and try again later. This style of play for him would also suit his 'advancing years', and may even prolong his career further if that's what he gets noted for. Mr. 'nice guy' Phil has never been good with getting tough on decisions for minutes.You simply can't play 10 players. All you get is more guys pissed off rather than a core group happy.

Reply #97174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think that its a matter of the players adjsuting to a dominant inside player presence, I think it is more the coaching staff.

They have never had a dominant inside player (ROgers certianly wasnt because he was either injured or didnt have many moves inside anyway, is more a finisher).

Their preferred style of game has always been centred around 2 / 3 players so there could be time taken while they adjust more than anything.

Reply #97176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bang on kenny , we need to have some scoring balance and copes , hill , and ng are 3 guys that can provide that punch when willie and brett sit Get them in , whoever is hot we run with til they not and keep rotating . This should help us maintain constant defensive intensity and keep most if not all happy .
Time and time again over the years we load up early and get off to a flyer, make some subs , la di da , lose the lead and then you look at the five that are on and shake your head in disbelief .
I believe this is why we are such a hot and cold team .

Reply #97181 | Report this post

Randy Watson  
Years ago

Alarm bells ringing after one loss that nobody saw any footage of????

I think we need to let the new guys settle in before we start righting off the season.

I think it will take a few "real" games for not only the players to become accustom to each other but for Phil & Steve to know where every player on the roster will fit.

Have faith people....the boys will be around the mark come the playoffs!

Reply #97202 | Report this post

Ken Richardson  
Years ago

Randy, I believe that's what pre-season games are for.

Reply #97210 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Is it really a point of whether or not a player has played with a big man or not??? Their whole careers would be built around getting the ball to the preferred option and generally this comes from the offence which is run! So maybe look at whether or not Phil has a structured offence instead of his run and gun shoot if your open offence.
I think Phil is grasping to the hope that Copes is going to be the next D-Mac this season, but as everyone else on here has said, he's going to be better utilised coming off the bench. Why not start Cooper or Wheels with Horvath and play two inside guys in a half court set and perhaps bring Horvath out on a running offence??? We don't have Jacob inside anymore grabbing rebounds so if Horvath goes outside who's going to rebound for us??? Majstro won't grab ten boards consistently so put another big in there!
I'm sure Phil will work out his starting lineups a bit better as time goes by, let's just hope we can jag a few games early on in the peice so we don't get too far behind.

Reply #97211 | Report this post

Knackers  
Years ago

Whats worng with playing the good old "in - out" offence. Horvath is a great inside presence, we have good perimiter shooters who are quick and can take it to the basket if needed. If they speard the defence out to the arc than put it in to Horvath and he can score. Also with either cooper or wheeler on the floor than we have good ofensive rebounders.

Its nearly fool proof

Reply #97217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure once fit, Wheeler will start and push Horvath to the 4. Mastro to the 3...All of a sudden we are big and we still have our range with Mastro and Horvath...quite simple really.

Reply #97218 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Hear Hear Randy Watson!!!
Right On!!!!

Reply #97220 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

But Randy I've forked out alot of money for season tickets and so far all i've seen is ordinary and all i've heard is excuses.

I agree with Isaac, I'd like the first 1/3 of the season refunded to me so i can pay with fake money because the team isn't ready yet.

Reply #97263 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Let's forget about Horvath, he looks like he is going to be a very useful player. I am more concerned about our friend Mark Nash. His numbers were once again pathetic, as is the continual praise that Boti Nagy heaps on him. To suggest that he would be in the running for best 6th man in the league is simply unbelieveable!
if we are going to have any success this season, then Nash must be sat on the bench, and by doing that, his contribution would be very similar.

Reply #97269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe boti was thinking he would be the best 6th man on the bench and in that case probably right .
For nashy to contibute he needs to have the constant belief in himself and i am afraid i haven't seen that for a long time .
no one enjoys bagging the guy as he is obviously a great lad and fantastic team player i just think his role and expectation should be tempered down to a realistic level .
i hope he proves me wrong .
Go Sixers .

Reply #97279 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

hand back ya tickets blair not great loss imo

Reply #97343 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:23 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754