Orlando Smith
Years ago

Hand... Is it part of the ball?

I was refereeing a social game last night and the statement "the hand is part of the ball" was brought up after a player was called for a foul.

I argued with the player that "the hand is part of the ball" statement is not in the rules of basketball (i cant find it in there) and has just been implemented by coaches and referees to contest a foul or no call depending on the situation and what best suits the complaintant at any given moment.

I know that players have been told this for years and I concede that it may be commonly used, however I would like to know if it is really basketball practice, law or just a basketball myth.

Topic #8671 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Orlando i'd suggest your read your rule book

Reply #97173 | Report this post

Orlando Smith  
Years ago

Thanks for that Anon...I am sure I stated that I could not find any mention of the hand being part of the ball, I may have missed it maybe in your wisdom you could point me to a particular article or sub article, I have a copy of the rules on my desk which I refer to often so I will eagerly await your guidence

Reply #97189 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

No Myth. The hand is part of the ball when it is on the ball. Not the wrist or lower and not the hand just after the ball has been released. In a shooting scenario most good defenders take this out of the equation by playing defense over the top of the ball - downward motion or in a sideways motion after the ball has been released.

In a general play good coaches teach the defender to make the attempt under the hand of the offence from the either the front and or ball side of the body. When the ball is "no team control" with players after it there should be a more lenient interpretation on hand / wrist contacts until team control is gained eg. A scramble that may end up in a jump ball.

Reply #97193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The hand is part of the ball when the hand is on the ball, except when in the act of shooting. When in the act of the shooting the hand can be fouled.

Reply #97216 | Report this post

Orlando Smith  
Years ago

I do appreciate the comments but are these rules or peoples intrepretations of the rules, since posting I have done some more research and I still cannot find anything that supports the hand being part of the ball, that is through the FIBA rules and official intrepretations of the FIBA rules

Reply #97219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Orlando

I'd be very surpised that the answer you got from sween isn't an interpetation from someone who knows - sounds like someone with a lot of rule knowledge and alot of credibility

Reply #97223 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

Hang for me. I'll find and report back.

Reply #97240 | Report this post

The interpretation is correct that any contact on the hand on a shot for goal is deemed to be a foul, this is because it is generaly not considered
possible to hit the hand while in contact with the shooters hand with out causing some other contact on the shooters body or arm etc etc

Reply #97259 | Report this post

Orlando, can I suggest next time you umpire a social game you dont bother arguing with the players.

Simply say it was a foul becuause the shooter was disadvantaged by the contact.

Thats it

If the defender hit the hand while in contact with the ball he must have fouled from behind anyway.

if he hit his hand from the front then the ball must have already been realeased which means it would be a no call

Reply #97261 | Report this post

RuMoR MoNgEr  
Years ago

The hand has been part of the ball for a long time now.I just wish thhat they would call it that way

Reply #97415 | Report this post

Norm Munday  
Years ago

Here's a link to the NBA RULE BOOK on line. The hand IS part of the ball when not in the act of shooting.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_a.html?nav=ArticleList

Reply #127524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quoting from that link:

'The hand is considered "part of the ball" when it is in contact with the ball. Therefore, contact on that hand by a defender while it is in contact with the ball is not illegal.'

It's still part of the ball when in the act of shooting. It's always and forever part of the ball. Only in a case where a defender removes the hand from the ball in an unsportsmanlike manner, eg, grabbing the hand, would you call a foul.

Reply #172818 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

My hand is ALWAYS in contact with my..... oh, never mind.

Reply #172821 | Report this post

jauxmama  
Years ago

Section 24, Article 2 of the NFHS handbook of basketball rules says: "It is legal use of hands to reach to block or slap the ball controlled by a dribbler or player throwing for a goal or a player holding it and accidentally hitting the hand of the opponent when it is contact with the ball."

The freakin' hand IS part of the freakin' ball.

Reply #195163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yelled at shooter about this one when i hit his hand while he was shooting. Cant wait to state these fax when i see him on the court again. THE HAND IS PART OF THE BALL!

Reply #243853 | Report this post

Ed  
Years ago

So if I'm in the post and receive a pass, and I'm holding the ball, a defender can hack down on the back of my hand?

I see that get called a foul ALL the time on TV.

Reply #459562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Show me where it says hand is only part of the ball if they are not shooting?????

Hand is part of the ball regardless.

Reply #459570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why we're on myths, I've heard this one sprouted a lot.....'it wasn't 3 seconds because there was no advantage to the player'. Show me anywhere in the rule book where it allows a referee to make a judgement call.

Reply #459572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ To add to that the ONLY time it is deemed a foul when contact is made to the hand is when the contact is deemed an "un-sportsman like" act i.e punched, grabbed etc and NOT a genuine play for the ball.

So, in the context of shooting it's either a no call or an USF. It can not be a normal shooting foul.

Reply #459573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depending on which association you referee or play for variants will occur. There is not just one rulebook there are 3 maybe 4 depends on association. FiBA rulebook (umpires), Official interpretations (refs) and then interpretations of interpretations (Refs). They are different colours and are rolled out to umpires at different levels.
Social refs would run "their" interpretations based on mood and care factor.
Please don't expect consistency on a court with umpires let alone referees because interpretations are handed down through training so if your stadium has woeful refs coming through look at the referee running the courses.

Reply #459577 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

When I did my refs training in the 90's, this was one of the first rules they would go through. That and personal space circles.

Reply #459579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It shouldn't matter where you Ref, the rules of Basketball are the same and Australia is guided by FIBA rules/interpretations.

Reply #459583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ It shouldn't but it does, you ever seen a ump sleep walk in a social game? I have.
The 3 second advantage interpretation not in the FIBA standard rule book but would be covered under one of the interpretations rule books.
3 Second rule is one that I've given up on, the ref will usually only count once possession is taken in the key, rarely any other time and when you ask how long etc they won't look at it.

Again take a look at the people running the coaching courses at your stadium and hope to god they aren't the refs your complaining about.

I often try and approach refs away from the game and as for their interpretation of a particular rule, some are quite good others well...

Reply #459596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are very tall and have hands so big (as some players do) that totally covers the ball, you could casually wrap both hands around the ball and stand under the offensive rim and casually put you srms right in front of your defensive player knowing he's totally unable to even stop let alone block you. Of course the hand is part of the ball when you shoot. The game is a non contact sport but the one thing you can hit is the ball but in socisl badketball they don’t call it that way. They forget the wrist is where you wear you wrist watch, any umpire that hears a hand slap wrongly calls a foul, when you question it they say you hit the wrist or they say the hand is not part of the bsll. Thats why some players wrap both their hands around the bsll when they put up a shot under the ring as they know the ref will call a foul

Reply #663489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You never penalise a player for going for the ball, that's the only thing he’s allowed to hit. If a big hand is wrapped around a ball what’s the defensive player supposed to do? Just watch? It’s not netball. So if a player isn’t seven foot and and can’t block the last 2 inches left at the top of the ball during a shot it’s a foul?!!! They clarified the hand being part of the ball decades ago as player hand sizes became enormous

Reply #663490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even when refs play the hand as part of the ball during the shot they only don't call a foul if you hit the fingers of the shooter. If you hit the hand under the fingers whilst it’s still on the ball they seem to think thats the wrist! The back of the hand goes a long way before you get to the wrist!

Reply #663491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is when you're jerking off.

Reply #663492 | Report this post

nope  
Years ago

The wording that supports your argument has been removed. The hand is part of the arm. If you are shooting and there is illegal contact on your arm from shoulder to finger tips; this is a shooting foul.

Reply #663507 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:46 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754