LB
Years ago

ABA Coaches 2005

There's always a lot of talk about the junior coaches on here, well, I would like to hear what people have to say about the ABA coaches for the upcoming season.

For example:
Hunnerup back at West ... surprised?
Manning taking over at South. Good decision?
Can Tracey match last years success with the players that are gone?
Castle taking over from Ninnis at Sturt. How will he do?
How will Sapwell do in his first season as Norwood's coach?

How high do you rate your club's ABA coach? Do you feel confident with the team in their hands?

Comments from players or club members would be great!!

Topic #868 | Report this topic

Mr Poontoss  
Years ago

Which players are leaving from woodville? No rumors - just give me some facts.

ps - this is referring to the Tracy york part.

Reply #9583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is more appropriate to ask which players are staying at woodville...

Reply #9584 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

Well i hear that puddifoot is coming to sturt. i think it is a 70% chance. i heard that vandenburg is playing for centrals with wilkey.

Reply #9586 | Report this post

Sabre Cave  
Years ago

I think that Castle will do an unreal job at Sturt. I think he has the people skills and the knowledge to lead these guys back to the top. Ithink Ninnis is great but i think Rick will tare the league apart. I also know that he has done some great recruiting with a 6'10 african guy coming out. He is still talking to Puddifoot and will talk to cooper...
So everything is looking ok so far...

Reply #9587 | Report this post

LemonJuiceinmyEye  
Years ago

With the Salary Cap, how are Sturt going to be able to put their team from last year on the floor, add Pudds a 6'10 random african and possibly Coops!?

Minus Wilkey that still leaves you with Big O, Bauer, Williams, Gower et al.

Good luck to them, just asking, can it be done?

Reply #9588 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

Ozzie might be going to NZ...

Reply #9591 | Report this post

Semi  
Years ago

Manning at south great appointment the feeling at trainings is totally different from last year. The Panthers may creep up on a few teams this year

Reply #9593 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

I'll give my run down:

Simpson: I think he is a great coach but has never had the horses. With the young guys getting better each year, Wilkey back and maybe Reggie, I think Simpson can get these guys playing some great ball.

Hunnerup: I'm surprised that West has brought him back. He is very knowledgable and has 400+ games experience but he really lacked the support of his players last year. And for a proud club like West to finish 2nd to bottom and re-appoint the coach?? Questions remain unanswered.

Manning: I've heard great things about him as a junior coach, and he seems to have brought a "buzz" to the South Men's program. I think he'll do well.

Sapwell: Would love to play for him but to be fair, he's untested as a coach. He'll definitely have the respect of his players but The Flames will be pretty stacked next year and full of talent. Can Sappa handle the ego's, minutes, subs, etc? My money says he can.

Simons: Very knowledgeable and well respected. With Dix back next year, The Eagles will soar again. I think he needs a little more faith in the Eagles kids, and not feel the need to bring in imports half-way through the season.

Hopkins: Did a great job last year, and I think he'll solidify his place as one of the top up-n-coming senior coaches with another great season in 05.

Hill: Championship coach. Some say he just won on the back of Holmes. I disagree. He put in many extra hours with his players and got the reward. Good on him.

Castle: Have heard good things about him. Will the players respect him the way they respected Ninnis? Doesn't have the "player profile" that experienced players like in a coach but some of the best coaches were role-players so we'll have to wait and see on this one.

Loveday: I don't think he gets the credit he deserves. Did a great job last year and has some good young talent coming through. Seems very intense and demands nothing short of his players' best. I think he'll have another great season and The Rockets will be amongst the front-runners again in 05.

York: From what I've heard, she's fantastic. Very well prepared, scouts well, runs a good training. But the flip-side is I've heard players such as Reggie & Pudds want out because they don't like playing for her. Not sure of the details. If those 2 leave, Bradley stays in the States, and Whitmore retires, I guess it'll be a great test for her.

That's my 2-cents worth.

Reply #9604 | Report this post

pole position  
Years ago

So deak who will fail then you have given a good report on all of them so what teams will be top 5

Reply #9606 | Report this post

pole position  
Years ago

A very early prediction

Eagles
North
Sturt
South
Southern
Norwood
Eastern
West
Woodville
Centrals

Its tough to pick when you dont yet know all the lists

Reply #9609 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Bottom line. Men will not play for a woman coach long term and anyone who thinks so is just kidding themselves!

Reply #9612 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Thought we were rating the coaches, not the teams.

I think all the coaches have good qualities, so thats what I wrote.

How well their teams go will depend on who they have, who leaves, who they pick-up, etc. Example, I think Centrals will be much improved in '05, but that doesn't mean they won't finish 9th or 10th again.

Reply #9668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

deak, if Sap is untried Coach, how did Cairns manage to win the ABL Nationals in Geelong?

Reply #9674 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

Sap wasn't the coach of Cairns

Reply #9686 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Jay, your comment was slightly ignorant. Coming from a team who is currently coached by a woman and has been for a few years (plus extra 3 as assistant) she has the upmost respect from all her players and I haven't heard on negative comment on the way she has coached her team. As long as they (women coaches) are knowledgeable on the game, are well prepared and can keep a certain degree of respect from her players then what's the problem.
I guess if a player can't play for a coach because of her sexuality then how ignorant, pig headed and immature can that player be and why would any team want them???
I'm sure if you looked into the reasons why these guys are leaving it would have a whole lot more to do with the simple fact she's a woman!

Reply #9713 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Panther you may be being politically correct and in an ideal world what you say is nice but we don't live in an ideal world. Men at top level will not play for a woman long term and they will not play long term for a coach who has not played at a senior level irrespective of how many coaching manuals they read. Thats neithet being pig headed, ignorant or immature, thats just living in the raelistic hard cold world.

Reply #9756 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

So what about the Mount Gambier Pioneers??? Female head coach since 2002, pretty much same team since 2000, Conference and National Champions 2003, will still have close to the same team next year, coach has full respect from all her players???
Jay, whether or not the coach is female or one with no senior playing history, some players and coaches will always have differing opinions or views on the game. A lot of times these come to a head. I for one know that having a coach who has played at the top level does not make him a good coach. I also know that if you looked in your own backyard there are a lot of outstanding coaches around who haven't played at a senior level and what classifies in your book as senior level???

Reply #9761 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Exactly Jirachi!!!

Reply #9762 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

From what I understand they have had a range of different imports over the years from 2000 to present, if you change your imports and thats 20% of the team changed for starters and the local players dont have a choice, they play for Mount Gambier or they move towns which is impracticle To say they have had the same team over the last four years is not true. Having said that she has obviously done a good job and with all statements examples can always be found to support an opposing argument but my point remains men will, underline this, NOT PLAY LONG TERM FOR A WOMAN and who can blame them!

Reply #9766 | Report this post

Germaine Greer  
Years ago

Jay,

And what do you mean "and who can blame them"

Reply #9769 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

One important has been there since 2000 and the other has been there for the last two years. And to use an import as an example, come on, majority (underlined) of these guys think the world revolves around them and play for the money. And for that fact if they don't perform they are replaced.
In last years team (first ten) you had 2 local players, so again your arguement isn't supported to well.
Furthermore, to say "Having said that she has obviously done a good job and with all statements examples can always be found to support an opposing argument " you are underminding your own arguement. I could say, "all Jay's are gay because I know one person called Jay who is gay, but that's an ignorant comment as i'm sure you could find a couple of people called Jay who aren't.
Your opinion is your opinion, I can't say that it's wrong or right as it's your opinion. But don't jump on a female coaches case simply because one or two players decide to leave.
And like I said from the start, if a player couldn't play for a female coach who has as good as a coaching reputation as another man then why would you want that player???

Reply #9771 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Sorry second word is meant to be import, ironic that it came out as important!! Ha ha..

Reply #9772 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:09 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754