Jubes
Years ago

Who do we get to replace Nash?

With Nashy out for the rest of the season who do we look at as a replacement? What position are we weakest at? Personally I suspect that Derek Moore will be approached after this short contract with Townsville is over, but I dont think we need him as we already have Cooper and Rees, I just struggle to see where he would get the minutes.

Personally I think we should look at a versatile player who is capable of playing a bit of both guards (at least capable of handling the ball) and small forward who has range on his shot which would fit in well with the offensive structure. Any thoughts on likely canditates to replace Nash?

Topic #869 | Report this topic

Jasmine  
Years ago

I was thinking Derek Moore as well. However I thought I heard Casey and Carfino during the Sixers-Crocs game that Reidy is out for 8 weeks and therefore Moore has 7 weeks left on his contract. If that is true, do you think the Sixers will wait on him?

Reply #9483 | Report this post

red dog  
Years ago

the current structure with cooper subbing for Reesy and darren and/or jason subbing for willie/brett is working well and oscar going for jake/dusty is working quite well so i suspect that phil and steve will do absolutely nothing at this point because with less games to go the same money buys a better player and it is not apparrent that one of the rotations is not working. Give it a few more games and it may indicate where we are not up to league standard or need bolstering. At this stage a 2/3/4 type player seems most likely but one injury could change that.

Reply #9531 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Jason Williams is the only weak link atm. If Darren Ng can successfully swallow all of his minutes then I'd say we have no problem at all. Otherwise a replacement tallish combo guard would be goodly.

But I'd doubt Phil will do anything about it for a while. He might hang onto it as insurance, if we suffer an injury then he might use it...

Reply #9536 | Report this post

Time Out  
Years ago

I have spoken to Phil on this issue, and he has basically said while they keep winning, he is not going to change anything.

He has suggested they may go down a similair path to what they did with Garrison, as in bring in an impact bench player late in the season for a boost.

Reply #9543 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Garrison would probably be a good fit for this team come to think of it.

Rees and Cooper sharing the C.
Dusty, Jacob and Oscar rotating the 3 & 4

Maher, Farley, Ng & Williams rotating through the guard spots.

Bringing in a Garrison who I think would play the 4 spot pretty damn well means he could play when Dusty sits or when Jacob sits Dusty can swing to 3.

Would probably affect Oscar's minutes the most, but Garrison could also spend some time at 5 if Cooper and Rees are having off nights or in foul trouble.

Anyone know what Garrison is up to?

Bringing back the championship team eh :-)

Reply #9548 | Report this post

Seb007  
Years ago

Garrison's an import. I'd doubt that we'd want to lose either Farley or Dusty for him.

Reply #9552 | Report this post

Time Out  
Years ago

Yeah, Phil said obviously it wouldnt be Garrison himself, but someone in the same mould.

Hey Rupert...you watch this forum...what are you doing with yourself now?

Reply #9562 | Report this post

Mid Court Screen  
Years ago

What about Sapwell. Similar type player as Nash but better. I'm sure he would still be in pretty good shape.

Hopefully we could see some hearty mid court screens from him.

Reply #9564 | Report this post

Spanish Star  
Years ago

If Phil's Thinking about bringing in an impact player later in the season I wonder when Cat finishes playing in Spain. The 3-spot is where we are lacking now and no player outside the current team knows how to play under Phil better than Cat.
Maybe even James Harvey.
Who else is playing overseas that might fill that position nicely?

Reply #9580 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In that case, the points system might come into play. I don't know how Rees, Cooper and Williams rate, but I suspect that the other seven (including Nash) come in at 45. Williams would be a maximum of 5 (gives 50 total). Cooper might be a 7, tops. Rees shouldn't be more than a 6? 63 total, and under the maximum of 66. I think Nash is/was a 6, so we should have 9 or more points to spare in the event of his replacement. It's probably a good plan to consider.

Reply #9582 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

I don't think Phil will do anything for time being.

Chemistry is good, players playing well. Throwing another player into the fray maybe the old 'too many cooks' situation.

If going to bring player in further down the track then a Derek Moore would be good, someone to support Rees/Coops.

Reply #9639 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

sapwell would be ideal. he wouldn't care if he played 20mins or 20secs cause he's a team player. Get him plus all that experience, why wouldn't we go after him? also miss those banking 3 bombs!!!!!!!!

Reply #9642 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Made me laugh when I heard about it, but Sapper used to say at training after making the banked three: "The first transaction has been made - the bank is now open for business!"

Classic!

Reply #9644 | Report this post

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

No need to make any additions right now, (Surprise the league, if we are going to make a change at all) do it later on in the season, and yeah, if we couldn't get a Cat type impact player, Sapwell although not in the same class, would still be a positive for this club!

Anything to get a ring this season!

Reply #9765 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Correct me if i am wrong but doesn't a player coming from overseas (even if it is an OZ player returning) cop an automatic 10 point value, if so doesn't that limit us to aussies already in the country, the only nbl quality players not signed for the whole season i can think of are Derek Moore, Brad Williams, Axel Dench and Goody...can anyone think of any others?

Reply #9773 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Sorry Sapper, include Rupert in my above list!

Reply #9774 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Goodwin has retired. Dench is training with the Tigers. Williams followed his wife to Canberra where she has a job (I think). Moore is with the Crocs for another 6-7 games.

I think that Adelaide (with Maher, Holmes, Forman, Williams all capped at 5 having spent their entire careers with the Sixers) could have enough points available under the cap to get a 10 point player.

But they would have to cut/permanently waive Nash to do so. If he's placed on an injury waiver, then Adelaide can only replace him with someone of equal or lesser point value (probably 6 or 7 in Nash's case).

What happened to Damien Ryan or whoever (from the Bullets)?

Reply #9780 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:13 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754