Isaac
Years ago

Joe Ingles, 29 points on debut

29 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals; 11-15 FG, 4-5 3P and 3-3 FT in this first ever NBL game.

And Adelaide offered him a spot in the 13?!?

Topic #8732 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the maximm rookie salary...

Well what they thought was the maximum but was actually only half the max!

Reply #97958 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Isaac, better just take my topic starter and add it to this thread!

Reply #97962 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

I'm sure if they knew they were going to lose Jacob and Oscar the 6ers would have been all over him.

Its a bit difficult when your two best young players play the same position as a prodigous youngster.

How about a Bruce/Newley/Ingles/someone/Bogut Boomers lineup in Beijing?

Reply #97964 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mark, they offered him half of the maximum and a spot in the 13. Not in the 10, the 13. Out with Sutton, Dodman, etc. At the time, they would've had Maher, Farley, Holmes, Rychart, Cooper, Forman and Hill on the cards, been planning to replace Rees with a better centre and then that left Nash and Hambour.

Ingles plays as a SG and can handle the point (what's our back-up plan for after Maher?). Holmes and Forman are forwards.

Was nothing learnt from Newley? Even if Newley was in Adelaide, would he be picking out splinters a la Hill anyway?

It is agonising seeing quality talent head elsewhere. And I don't buy the "like Jacob and Oscar, they just go elsewhere after a few years anyway" argument - both of those guys would've signed if they'd had contracts renewed before other offers came in. They have houses and mortgages and families and friends here - it's not like they necessarily hang out waiting for better offers to come through.

Reply #97965 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Wow!!! Lets see how he does from here... Price giving him 40m PT doesn't hurt - but in case you forgot... WOW!!!

Reply #97969 | Report this post

rabbit  
Years ago

it is embarrassing that Ingles did not come to Adelaide. The handling of the situation by Phil was totally immature, and again we lose a kid with unbelievable potential. A spot in the 13??? wow, that will really motivate him!!

Reply #97971 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Maher, Newley,Ingles, Hill guards
PF Import, Forman, Holmes, Nash
C Import, Wheeler / Cooper.

A nucleus of ten years + for that team spells a big missed opp by the Adelaide staff in the past.

Reply #97973 | Report this post

Captain Rabbit  
Years ago

Heh Rabbit, hope you are traveling well and that backpack isn't tipping you over......
how good was Jingles last night, loosey goose!
I though Shane Heal was a sook the whole night on the bench - sure be disappointed you aren't playing (injured or whatever) but surely act better/mature than that if you are MEANT to be Captain!!!!! not good body language
LOVE JOEY! - good to see Jacob still got that shitty step back one foot grounded fade away leaning post move which still hits the front of rim going still

Reply #97995 | Report this post

Boy wonder  
Years ago

Dont assume to know what you are talking about just becasue you read it some where else. They offered him the maximum they could offer a rookie and other teams were offering him more outside of what they technicaly can. I have said it before other teams owned by private owners have ways around the salary cap, now the sixers have an owner rather than a board we might be able to more creative with how we pay people. Just stop with all the we did'nt try hard enough and how can they let him go. We offered what we could within the rules and other teams did'nt so if your Joe what are you going to do. Play for less money out of loyalty?? I am sure that is not what Belly advised as his agent. Get the facts right people

Reply #97997 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

Slack administration, slack coaching staff is why this talent is playing interstate. Until Adelaide gets there s**t together they will have a hard time hanging on to young talented players. Any young player would jump at the chance to play and train with the Dragons, have a look at the experience in that team. A coach, a point guard and a big man all played NBA.

It gave me a warm fuzzy feeling to see a kid like Joe explode on to the national stage and on FOX as well, good on him and I hope there are many more to follow.

Reply #98005 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Boy Wonder,

Still doesn't change the fact he was only offered a spot in the 13.

Every NBL team had a scout at the under 18 tournament at Wayville this year except one. Wouldn't be hard to guess which team.

Reply #98007 | Report this post

Pacey  
Years ago

And the 18 nationals were held here, how slack is that!

Reply #98010 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boy wonder, the coaches claim to have offered Ingles the maximum. They didn't. They offered what they THOUGHT was the maximum. What they thought was the maximum and what was the maximum were not the same thing.

And even with that aside, they offered him a spot in the 13. Not first sub in, not the main rotation, not even the 10!

Any response to either of those points?

Reply #98011 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Main points coming from this thread:
1. The Sixers are incompetent
2. ummmm

Reply #98037 | Report this post

Boy wonder  
Years ago

From what I have been told they offered him max. And that was from a direct source. How sure are you that he wasnt offered max?? And yeah if they are only offering a spot in the 13 it certainly dosnt help our recruitment pitch but at the same time we could offer him all the court time in the world but in the end if someone is able to offer 30,40,50 more thousand a year then we are not keeping anyone in that situation

Reply #98040 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

It also appears that Scott Ninnis, did a good job recruitng him, and in the end it possibly ended up being he was going where ever Scott was, as he was training with the Crocs with Ninnis when he broke his foot, and it was rumoured the crocs were front runners at the time, and as soon as Ninnis moved to the Dragons, they became favourites and signed him, so i say hats off to a great recruiting coup by Ninnis, and hope the 36ers coaches can get the job done next time we have a young SA star available!!
even though he was offered a spot in the 13, i dare say he would of made the 10 in the end, as if we had him we probably wouldnt have gone after Majstrovich, and going on his debut he would of out played guys like Ng, Sutton, etc. for a spot in the 10 anyway, but yea they probably should have guaranteed him a spot in the 10, but you do never know how good rookies are going to end up, heres hoping over the next few years we can see some guys like Ingles, Forman, Newly and Holmes in 36ers colours!! GO SIXERS!!

Reply #98045 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boy wonder, what I'm telling you is that the coaches did not know what the maximum rookie salary was. What they thought it was, and what it actually is are not the same thing.

That is why you have the club claiming in the media that they made the best pitch they could, and the 'other side' disagreeing completely. A sub-par financial offer and a spot in the 13 just don't cut it when you're talking to a kid touted as being, along with Bogut and Newley, a chance at the NBA if his cards fall the right way.

We could have offered him an opportunity in Nash's position. Nash is a great guy, but Ingles has greater potential, more offensive capacity, can defend well (did a great job last night IMO) and is 18 years old. That was even assuming Dusty/Jacob/Oscar all stayed.

Maher, Farley, Holmes, Rychart, Cooper, Forman, Hill - Rees to be replaced with a new centre. Nash and Hambour were on the block.

Post-'call-from-Mike-Daws'-Update: Don't get me wrong, I'm not discounting the argument that other clubs might work outside the cap, that the Dragons would've had a blank canvas with which to delegate game time, that Ingles and Ninny might be great pals, or that signing a rookie is a bit of a gamble, and so on, but I stand by the facts that the 36ers coaches did NOT offer Ingles a maximum rookie contract, that they did not offer him anything flattering in terms of game time talk, and that the overwhelming opinion before the signing was that Ingles was a talent worth wooing, signing, and holding onto.

Reply #98046 | Report this post

Boy wonder  
Years ago

I just find it hard to believe that the coaches did not know what the actual salary cap for him was. Surely these guys are more compitant than that. It would not be hard to get that infomation correct. And I am not sure of your point are you saying that more opportunity and less money would be an option for him?? I think Jono hit it on the head and the other thing about that is Paul Bell his agent and Scott are obviously very close so it all plays a part. Its not what you know but who you know type of deal. I just reckon sixers are copping a bad wrap on there recruitment ability when there are underlining reasons why things have happened that are rasonable. On the other side look at the team they ahve put together considering all the crap that has happened over the off season. How hard would it be to recruit saying "oh yeah the team is in administration and we dont have an owner yet but things should be OK, come play for us" Under circumstances the team we have put on the floor is exceptional, even not going through all that drama its still exceptional, and besides your not going to win em all and get every gun recruit going round

Reply #98056 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boy wonder, all of that is largely irrelevant. Do you mope about being in administration, or do you put your best foot forward and make a solid effort? I can handle losing out to a team promising 30 MPG in a rookie season, potentially more than is legal in terms of contract, and whatever else, but I want to know that the club is actually making a reasonable effort to sign the player.

We have either of two scenarios:

1. The coaches knew what the maximum rookie salary was, didn't rate Ingles or want him, made a mediocre offer, and then claimed that they offered maximum when pressed on it later to save face and avert criticism.

2. The legitimately didn't know what the maximum rookie contract was.

Neither is particularly flattering in my opinion. (For what it's worth, I'd bet on #1.)

They would know a good rookie contract when they saw it. Jacob was signed to a three-year deal with solid increases each year. Oscar was signed to a four-year deal in a similar fashion. Both included vehicle, super, educational allowance, etc. They were outstanding offers.

Obviously they couldn't continue that in a climate of administration or maybe doubt over the gradual development of Oscar (do not forget that he took a substantial pay cut to help the club sign a better roster), but we're talking about prodigous talent in Ingles, and that deserves a decent offer.

Reply #98061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont know much about the situation but you would bet your life on it that someone in that club knew how much the max rookie salery is. All i know is that as it stands right now its a major F-up no matter what way you look at it. I think maybe they banked on oscar staying (like most of us assumed), thought ingles was a 3 and made a half assed attempt to get him and would be rubbing their hands if it came off. it didn't.

Reply #98069 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Who really knows - Unless someone has actually seen (with our own eyes) the contracts or offer documents its all pure speculaton - and anyone that has actually been in the positiuon to see such documents I would hope has more integrity to post what they saw on a open web forum!

So - whatever happened he isnt playing for the 36ers so lets move on. Good luck to him and lets hope he develops into the outstanding player he could be - and lets all get behind him and enjoy displays such as last nights when he turned it on - I just hope he cant do as well against the sixers!

Reply #98071 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Statman, it was not a maximum rookie offer -- that's not speculation. I don't need to have seen the offer to be confident about that - people close enough to the action (the agent, the CEO - hard to get closer than that) will confirm it.

Reply #98079 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Also, maybe the Sixers made a bad judgment call when assessing the impact Joe would have on the league this season. Maybe they didn't pursue him hard enough because they knew they had a solid team, whereas the Dragons were pursuing vigorously to put a competitive outfit on the floor. I don't think it would just necessarily come down to money (no doubt a big part 'though) but also, if you're a kid and you have one team doing absolutely everything they can to get you and another saying 'come join our squad of 13', I think you would go for the former..

Reply #98083 | Report this post

rabbit  
Years ago

additionally, they sttempted to force joe into a decision....they gave him the piss weak offer, and then said, "righto, kid you have 48 hours to sign, or else forget it"...hardly professional??

Reply #98098 | Report this post

Keen whatcher  
Years ago

Well, intresting to read, great shame that so many of the facts are incorrect. I applaud that fact the Issac is in the know. Joe was offered an inferior contract and had oppootunities elsewhere. He was pushed into a corner in an unprofessional manner and made a choice, and what a choice it has proved.
Wonder boy, you have know idea so lets just say, hold your tounge, find out the facts and sit and whatch a talent.
He has had a dream debut, lets hope it continues for basketbalss sake.

Reply #98329 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Had 20+ again tonight.....damn shame the 36ers missed out on him...lol....NOT

BTW........Cmon Wildcats....LMAO

Reply #98715 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:10 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754