Anonymous
Years ago

Ingles - Best Debut in NBL History

I reckon this is the case.

Andrew Gaze - 16 points in his debut.

Topic #8734 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can it be - it wasn't even the best debut in that game! (Powell)

I assume you mean excluding imports.

It probably would be the best Aussie debut. How about Andrew Vlahov - what did he do in his first game?

Reply #97966 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

How long has he signed for at South. One would assume he will be playing in the NBL for 3 years (4 max) before heading to the NBA... hopefully he can play for the Sixers for at least one season?

Reply #97970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will be a Dragon his entire career in OZ

Reply #97976 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

If Ingles is getting good minutes at the Dragons, why would he think about going to the 36ers?

Reply #97980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dragons is a perfect fit for Joe. At a thought though, if Stacker had stayed in Townsville, Joe would have probably ended up there, imagine a combo of Ingles, Newley and Rillie now that would have been tough to defend.

Reply #97981 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

jimmy, geez mate don't get too far ahead of yourself. one game and he's going NBA.. we'll see

Reply #97984 | Report this post

Sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

Was this game on Fox and if so can amyone give any insight into whether it looked like a freak game not to be repeated or if it looks like he's going to be able to keep this up at a consistent level.

I think after only one game it's a bit early to be taking NBA and trying to get him to the Sixers.

Reply #97987 | Report this post

Pacey  
Years ago

the kid is legit! he will have his downs this season but what we saw last night you will see more of through the year. this is going to be a great career to watch!

Reply #97988 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Agreed - was a great on debut and he made use of teh minutes he was given - will be interesting to see how many minutes he gets when Heal comes back from his back injury.

Reply #97989 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Was it definitely a back injury?

Reply #97991 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Sawmeinhalf,
I watched the game and he definately looked legit...
Was guarding Wethers for a lot of the game and although Wethers scored 30 odd, Ingles did not look out of his depth or rushed at all in offence...
Dragons looked okay for their first hit out in the nbl as well...

Reply #97998 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

The key for Ingles is to put up another decent performance next game. Wethers isn't exactly a defensive animal either.

I watched the game and he looked comfortable out there. Will his minutes differ with a fit Heal? Or will Shanahan's minutes drop?

Reply #98000 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Surely you have to give Ingles a run after that start...
Leave Heal on the bench crying like last night...ha ha.

Reply #98003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Dragins spacing around Fuller in the middle was excellent. It enabled some guys, including Ingles to get some good looks. Ingles was also composed under pressure and was able to create his own shot with ease.

He will need to work on his strength and post defence as teams will start posting him up as the breakers (Forman) did last night.

Reply #98008 | Report this post

hurl;ey  
Years ago

watching the game it didnt looks as if he was playing "above" himself at all. I think he will be consistantly playing to that level. It was not a freak game, he plays with the control and savvy of someone much older..... NBA, maybe...

Reply #98012 | Report this post

blown away  
Years ago

flat out baller , sweet as stroke and can release from many seemingly unbalanced positions which is almost impossible to guard .
had never seen the kid play and was totally blown away . Sure he will have ups and downs but with the young nucleus of Bogut , Schenscher , Newley , Ingles , Barlow and Bruce to fill around with some savvy and world game suited players ie , Nielsen , Anderson , Saville , we start looking ok .
We still need a point and a new coach but thats for another discussion already had 40 times on this forum .

Reply #98016 | Report this post

box me out  
Years ago

I would be suprised if Ingles can keep that up in their first season that is a huge ask for any rookie..

Dont be suprised to see a few quiet games in the near future.

But for now, i can sit back and relax as i luckily chose him in my Dreamteam ^_^ (on the bench though)... unfortunatly i also chosen Olsen and Forman who had terrible games.

Reply #98020 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

If CJ Bruton made the NBA, I have no doubt Ingles will play there one day... no disrespect to Bruton, because he is a great player, but we are about to witness something special. You wouldn't see very many freshmen from US colleges be able to score 29 in the NBL. He is 18!

Reply #98038 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

jimmy, CJ has never "made" the nba has he??
Only his rights drafted and summer pro league I thought??

Reply #98044 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

correct DB5

Reply #98052 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

My bad then... but you get the gist of it. He will play NBA.

Reply #98055 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

***sob***
I had him in my dream team until about 10 minutes before the draw closed and I traded him.
Bugga!!!!!!
Stupid me!!!!

Reply #98058 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

He's in mine, but a benchy. Horvath is my captain though, so all good there.

Reply #98063 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Same here the doc, Horvath as captain, should be a good choice, and how cheap was he?????
And damn it, I picked Copeland instead of Ingles.
DOH!!!!

Reply #98066 | Report this post

meg!!!  
Years ago

A star is born?
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 03:34 PM
NBL - Marc Howard

The Philips Championship may just have unearthed its newest superstar following a stunning debut from South Dragons rookie Joe Ingles at the North Shore Entertainment Centre on Tuesday night.

Ingles announced his arrival on the Philips Championship stage in no uncertain terms, scoring a team-high 29 points for the Dragons in their first-ever match, a narrow 112-106 loss to the New Zealand Breakers.

Ingles shot a sizzling 11-of-15 from the field, including 4-of-5 from beyond the arc. He was also a perfect 3-of-3 from the freethrow line and added seven rebounds, two assists and two steals in just over 40 minutes of court time.

Ironically, the rangy left-hander wasn't even expected to play much of a role for the Dragons on debut until a pre-game injury to the legendary Shane Heal gave Ingles an early opportunity. To say the South Australian teenager seized that opportunity with both hands is somewhat of an understatement.

Ingles registered the highest-scoring debut for any non-import in Philips Championship history, surpassing the 24 points notched by Sydney Kings young gun Luke Kendall in his first game back in October 2004. To put the young Dragons star's performance in perspective, the great Andrew Gaze scored just 16 on debut while Ingles' teammate Heal opened his NBL scoring account with only 14 points.

When the 203cm swingman was signed out of the Australian Institute of Sport by the Dragons as the new club's first-ever player, Boomers head coach Brian Goorjian compared Ingles to a young Toni Kukoc of NBA fame. Whilst those types of comparisons can only ever be truly judged over the course of a player's career, there is no doubting that  albeit after one game  Ingles is now the hot favourite to take out Rookie of the Year honours. When you compare his first up performance with those of the players who have taken out the last five rookie trophies, it's easy to see why.

Last year's Rookie of the Year winner, Sydney's Mark Worthington, had 16 points on debut, whilst the first-game performances of Brad Newley (two points), Steven Markovic (0), Gary Boodnikoff (6) and Travis Lane (17) all paled in comparison to Ingles' 29-point effort on Tuesday.

Breakers coach Andrej Lemanis left no doubt as to what he thought of the young Dragons star.

"A hell of a player, he had a great debut," Lemanis exclaimed.

Perhaps the last word on the young star should be left to someone who has played against him day-in, day-out at Dragons practices. In a recent Q&A on the FIBA website, Heal was glowing in his assessment of teammate Ingles.

"He is only 18 but he will play for Australia for sure," Heal said. "I have got no doubt in the world that he will represent Australia. I haven't seen an 18-year-old kid with the sort of poise that he has got for a long, long time

Reply #98073 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

*still sobbing*
DB5, I swapped Ingles for Copeland yesterday.
I need to learn to stay with my first pick instead of trying to analyse it too much.
*fingers crossed* for a 29 point game from Copeland tonight! *grin*

Reply #98074 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I agree Dana. Come on Copes!

Reply #98076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know if there is any way to see a video of the game or even Joe's highlights - it would be great to see him in action

Reply #98122 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

it was on foxtel, maybe ask them??

Reply #98257 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754