Anonymous
Years ago

Champions Leauge

With the USA becoming less of a force in International basketball .. what would People think of Having a Soccer Like Champions Leauge in basketball .. could have some intresting match ups

Topic #8740 | Report this topic

ritz  
Years ago

sounds awesome.. the nba would be like the epl & only the truely best teams playoff. Some euro teams would go alright. Sixers might make early stages might not get through but imagine the experience they would get.

Reply #98075 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Does sound great indeed! The rules would be one hot topic of debate.

Reply #98082 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

From time to time they have a Champions tournament along these lines, I remember watching the Wildcats play Houston and Vasgo De Gama years ago in a tournament along these lines. Sixers played in one of these in the late 90's.

An ongoing competition like the Champions League would be great but it's never going to happen for the following reasons:

1. Distance - the Champs League works as it's restricted to European teams and therefore no match is more than a 3 hour flight away, I can't imagine the Sixers flying for 30 hours to play a mid week fixture against a French side.

2. Time to play - NBA teams play between 3 and 5 already each week, there's no way could fit any more into their schedule.

I'm sure there's more reasons but I think I'm just saying things people already know.

Regards,

Captain Obvious (heading home to put his feet up and watch Liverpool dominate Galatasary in the Champions league)

Reply #98229 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

They play EuroLeague etc anyway, the point of football is that in each confederation you have regional tournaments. So for a Champions League for us it would involve Oceania(which is our basketball confederation), which is pointless because we have only two strong nations and teams from other countries within our own league (including one from the other main national rival).

Reply #98317 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754