ANONYMOUS
Years ago

ABL Young Guns

WITH THE NEW ABL SEASON QUICKLY APPROACHING WHICH YOUNG ABL PLAYERS WITH HAVE A BREAK OUT SEASON?? BURDON,INGLES,DAVIES,KIES,BRAITHWAITE,BIRMINGHAM?

(Mod: Please don't shout.)

Topic #879 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kies and Burdon will continue their form from last year.

And turn CAPS LOCK off.

Reply #9605 | Report this post

LemonJuiceinmyEye  
Years ago

Its a very good question... Weather you regard Webber (Nwd) as a rookie or not, i think this guy is going to have an outstanding year, similar could be said for Sheppa from Sturt.

Ingles will no doubt be playing in a different conference, but the return of Josh Wood should provide some uptake of the slack in Southern land. Braithwaite is one to watch for me, he has the explosive moves and athletic proves to match it with anyone in the league.

You can expect much of the same from Burdon and Kies. Unfortunately for them, North will have to get rid of some of the old wood before these fresh young talents can really shine.

Benson will do a similar job as last year, tough line up to break into. Good luck to him, i just dont think he has that much game...(hope he can prove me wrong)

Hardly a rookie these days, but certainly one to watch would be Brad Gerlach. Training with an NBL program while the rest of us are boozing and chasing tail, i would expect Brads' game to be at another level, stronger and more confident then ever.

Reply #9664 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

Well i can tell you now that it will be hard for Josh Wood to step into the team or even the league and expect to dominate. I don't think he will do very well.

Dave Sheperd i think will struggle this season with court time. Because sturt have Williams, Bauer, James Martin, Maybe Puddifoot, and i hear that Benson might be playing a different role this season as a guard. most of those guys have the experience except for benson but half of them have the height. So if you were the coach what would you go for when you can have 3-4 guards at6'4/6'5 and then you still have oscar, gower, finkenmyer,the new african guy thats 6'10 and there are a few young guys around 6'7/6'8. I know i definately wouldn't pick someone small like him.

I feel that eric burdon will have an awesome season but won't.

Reply #9671 | Report this post

edward  
Years ago

not sure what you are talking about yothu but the last time i checked bauer and james martin were no where near 6'4 or 6'5.....secondly, sheppard compared with james martin is not even close these days...i would like to see tjm trying to guard the shepp.

Reply #9677 | Report this post

LemonJuiceinmyEye  
Years ago

I wonder how close to 6'10 this Afircan guy will be... sounds like something out of Eddie Murphy RAW to me... Ummfoofoo anyone?

Reply #9680 | Report this post

Could also be like the air up there or blue chips.

Reply #9682 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

Well i heard today that this new african guy can rebound jump dunk and block.... and thats all you need in this league....
and i meant benson, williams, and not to mention mahersy who will be back for at least half of the season

Reply #9683 | Report this post

Bloody Hell  
Years ago

I heard that he can not only jump, rebound & dunk.....but he can spear a running pig at 20 paces...

But I'm sure Richard Castle will discuss that with him.

Reply #9693 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

The new African guy didn't look anything special...except a tall slender body, that CAN jump. Shepperd is looking very sharp.

PS Oh! And he's blatantly not 6'10!! Maybe 6'7-6'8ish, around John Smith's height, whatever that is!

Reply #9695 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

I wonder if this is the same African guy that South lost points for playing in 2003. He was unable to get an International Clearance as his Country of Birth does not have a Basketball Association to be able to clear him!!!

Reply #9704 | Report this post

Kevin Bacon...  
Years ago

Wonder if he smells the same???

Reply #9707 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I wasn't around last season so i'm almost completely lost with all these young guns, except for Gerlach. Can anyone give me a heads up on these kids and who they play for???

Reply #9709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why?? Trying to get a heads up as to who to target first???

Word is your style hasn't changed at all while down at the Mount.

Reply #9711 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I see you've done your research, so let me do mine! Get off the net if your only going to waste my time...

Reply #9714 | Report this post

the don  
Years ago

ive heard it is Shutup!!

Reply #9716 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Panther won't target me, not if he knows what's good for him!!!

Reply #9718 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Panther:

Kies and Burdon are both recently out of 20s and play for North. Kies was at AIS for 2003; Burdon is a PG, 6'0, 3 pt shooter, very slight frame. Kies is about 6'2-6'3, very strong, but played as a forward his whole career in juniors, so his ballhandling isnt the best - although he broke out for quite a few games.

Wood and Braithwaite from Tigers - Wood was at AIS 2004, lanky 6'5-6'6 SG/SF type player, good shot and good hops. Will still be in U20s this year. Braithwaite is coming out of 20s, quick, athletic PG, good shot release, didn't see much minutes last year but should have a bigger role this year. Ingles was U18 this year and had a BREAKOUT year, hitting big shots, starting a few games, 36ers training camp - should go AIS, if he doesnt Southern looking very young and very tough! (they still do anyway!)

Benson played Sturt ABL last year, also coming out of U20s, about 6'3-6'4, good game smarts, hard on boards, solid in O. Slightly controversially in 36ers squad (ie training squad) after receiving only limited (15-25?) mpg with Sturt off the bench last year. Sheperd Sturt as well, young PG (three years out of 20s?), very quick, sharp, excellent skills.

Other mentions for 2004 young gun seasons (not including Gerlach who you know) who should build on that in 2005 include:

- Andy Webber (5'8 PG) at Norwood had some breakout games at the end of the season, including an MVP vs Forestville.
- Chris Clausens (State U18 player) broke into the Central starting lineup, had a few high-scoring games.
- Matt Sutton (6'3 SG, SF) - 2004 was first year out of 20s, broke into the injury depleted Forestville starting 5, ended the season with solid numbers, training with the 36ers.

So yeah, procrastinating as usual!

Reply #9719 | Report this post

Huw Jass  
Years ago

Lets wait til these kids have a good SEASON before we start talking them up too much. Otherwise their heads might expand further than what they are already.

Reply #9791 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Thanks Libertine. It's good to see some really good juniors coming through the system, hats off to the junior coaches in SA. I think I may have played a couple of these guys before just can't put name to face.
Look forward to seeing them out on the court this season.
Seems you know your BBall, Junior coach???

Reply #9813 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Huw Jass - he asked who these young names mentioned were - not one of them except perhaps Sutton really had a consistent ABL season in 2004, which is why I said they should build on it for 2005, which they hopefully will!

Reply #9824 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Which of these younger guys played in the all-star game?
Looking at Webber's stats from last year, your right, he seems like a good little guard who should do well under Sapper.

Reply #9828 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

NG, Kies got selected as the U21s for North (Marcus NG, which by reports on here say he's just had a knee reco?) - though it was controversial, given who the coach was and given that other youngsters had played considerably more minutes....!!!

Ingles, and SERIOUSLY cant remember who got picked as the 2nd U21 player for the South team....I do know Gerlach played (though I think he got in on votes).

Reply #9851 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oh, you mean South. When you asked on MSN, I thought you meant Southern. Would've been Sutton then.

Reply #9852 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

That's the hot tip!

Reply #9854 | Report this post

tsubi  
Years ago

FORGET EVERYNAME MENTIONED THE ONLY NAME YOU NEED TO KNOW IS ADAM "TRUCK" BLIGHT! AINT NO ONE STOPPING HIM THIS YEAR!

Reply #9861 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Truck stop posting stuff about yourself or at least put your name to it!!!

Reply #9865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone care to name any names for the women? Its always about the men, be consistent guys!

Reply #9867 | Report this post

Truck  
Years ago

Hey JB that 4 out of twelve from the foul line was awesome last night. And if we were talking about bald guns then you would be right up there

Reply #9870 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

My arms were sore from hitting 8 from 12 the first one and not missing a J in three on three, what do you expect??? And don't start on the bald jokes buddy otherwise i'll start on the weight jokes!!!

Reply #9871 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Is there a women's league????

Reply #9872 | Report this post

LemonJuiceinmyEye  
Years ago

YOUNG WOMEN GUNS
The thing about the womens league imho is that all the decent young players are already 3 years into their senior careers before they finish juniors. All the best players in u/18's would be involved in the senior programs in most cases.

As for ones to watch, Kayla Francis would be worth a mention. 0 conscience so she should fit in well at the Mavs.

With regard to the womens league, i'm more interested in the trades that may be happening... Heard more then a few rumours [to be revealed at a later date].

Reply #9875 | Report this post

sb  
Years ago

Tris braithwaite deserves so much more court time then he is getting. he was the reserves mvp so it must show hes got some skill. he deserves it comin through the junior ranks for the club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #9995 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

Whoa, Braithwaite????

Is this the same guy who is mentally unstable and can't control his mouth or emotions?

Is this the guy who Libertine called a point guard, yet cannot dribble for more than 2 dribbles on his right hand?

Sure he might have won reserves MVP for Southern, but c'mon, they sucked. Who should he play more minutes for? Clarke? Gerlach? It's not like these guys aren't young either.

He's got a long way to go sb

Reply #9997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Northener

Isn't Braithwaite a right hander? whats wrong with playing with some sort of emotion tto? Ive seen some games and he wasn't that bad.Seen worse

Reply #10053 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

Sorry I meant left hand. You are right

Reply #10060 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

It's an old post, but Braithwaite scored 70 points in two games (reserves and then ABL).

He's come a long way Northerner!

Reply #77541 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:03 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754